1 Night Stand - Gabs to Bray

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SandMan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
A short pictorial…..

Since summer had arrived, Stofhond and I decided we needed a ride, but where to go? For me time did not allow for an extended trip so it could not be far. Khubu was thought of but we decided that it was way too much slabbing to get where we wanted to be. So we looked south and decided on the Bray area. I had been to Bray along the Mmathethe road before which is very sandy and a whole lot of fun. I would build on this as sand is always fun and a challenge on a loaded DS bike. So the plan….. to shoot straight down to the Molopo and follow the riverbed up to Bray and then return along the Mmathethe road the following day. A one night stand!

The route as we rode it.

Bray.jpg

So as mentioned we made a bee line for the Molopo. There was tar and gravel in the mix and some vultures enjoying a carcass too.

100_0731.jpg

100_0733.jpg

A couple of hours and we arrived at what we were looking for………

100_0759.jpg

Just being out in the bush and having some great terrain to ride had us both smiling. This is what we were looking for…….. FUN!

100_0736.jpg

100_0735.jpg

We had just over 100km of sand and riverbed to Bray to where the next fuel stop was. We carried extra fuel just in case, a 9fiddy can get quite thirsty when doing the Kalahari two step. It turned out that we never really needed the extra fuel but I suppose better safe than sorry.
Checking those tyre pressures and the sandy road ahead……

IMG_0269.jpg

100_0741.jpg

As with any part of the Molopo, opening and closing the gates and running into fences can become a real schlep, but at least with two you can alternate.

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

100_0740.jpg

At some point we decided to visit the border fence which was in surprisingly good shape in this area. It was also an opportunity to get rid of extra fuel and weight sitting on top.

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

Waltzing our way up to Bray….. the beast in its natural habitat.

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

100_0740.jpg

Kalahari directions…..

100_0744.jpg

And then we arrived….Bray. There was fuel on the Bots side that day so we did not have to cross over to SA. After fueling we set off to our overnight about half way between Bray and Weirda, another 30km or so along a badly corrugated road. Not so leka but I suppose you have to take the good with the bad when adventure biking. We arrived at Cornwall Lodge, a newish still developing rest camp with very friendly hosts and adequate everything you need for your stay. Hot showers, good food and lotsa Brannas and Beer!  Look it up if you’re in this area, it’s on the GPS maps and Google and well worth the stay.

100_0746.jpg

100_0747.jpg

The following morning after a leka plaas breakfast, we headed on out. We met up with the Mmathethe road and once again about 100km of sand ahead……. Nice! A steady speed of anything between 70-100km/h and the road is most enjoyable and comfortable. You will have to be able to change lanes or climb out the two spoor as trucks and bakkies are encountered. This just adds to the fun though! O, and also beware of the odd Kudu or two that might try and rugby tackle you straight off your bike. Luckily a bit of quick reaction got me past to score a try without incident.

100_0751.jpg

100_0753.jpg

100_0752.jpg

100_0754.jpg

Taking a break and once again getting rid of that unnecessary weight on top.

100_0761.jpg

We decided to try a short cut along a sandy track.

IMG_0306.jpg

By this time it was already fairly hot and the sand a lot looser. The track was also quite tight and we could not get up to speed. This resulted in quite a few different Kalahari dances being attempted and uncontrollable fits of laughter. We were getting nowhere fast so we decided, "ag nee wat, kom ons draai maar om!" 
Stofhond trying the two step and Suzy decided she was going to lie down on the spot until I stopped riding like a chop!

100_0763.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

We back tracked and headed along our original route. The sand was soon over and we turned north toward Kanye along some big gravel. No stops here, just cruising. Stopped in Kanye, we refueled the bikes and ourselves at the nearest Chicken Licken. From there the tedious slabbing back to Gabs and home.

Thanks old Stoffie, dit was nou baie leka!