Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Mpumalanga  (Read 5572 times)

shark_za

Mpumalanga
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2006, 03:06:14 pm »
The bunch...

TheDude - Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Gavin - BMW 1200 GS
Gideon - Honda XLV 750 Africa Twin
Krazy-Eyes - KTM 950 S
Me - KLR 650 Afrika Single
Funacide - BMW 1200 GS
Ufudo - BMW 1150 Adv
Leo - BMW 1200 GS
Excalibur - BMW 1200 GS
Digitaldan - Suzuki DRZ-400

Only two thumpers (mine finally sounding like a real thumper) and the rest were twins.

Even though it was "soft roading" , you cant say the BMW guys dont take thier bikes offroad.

Offline Leo

Mpumalanga
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2006, 06:46:51 pm »
So my ?LIVE? reporting was a ballsup, but I see you guys have kept yourself busy on this thread. Well we all got together at 07:30 as arranged and after sorting a few rules, etc for the offroad riding we got underway.

The route took us through Mamelodi, past Cullinan,

Bronkhorstpruit

and KwaMchalnga

Sharkie approaching

till we eventually stopped at the Loskopdam petrol station for some guys to refuel, but mostly to buy some biltong

as none of us had eaten breakfast before we left.
The beemer was the 1?st to require some minor maintenance. Amstel working on his baby

This gave us the necessary booster for the next leg of the journey to Dullstroom where the Korfneck pass

required some degree of technical challenges. Luch was had at the Duck & Trout

After Dullstroom we headed via tarr towards Lydenburg where the map displayed an interesting little route through the area south of Longtompass. During a smoke break

I noticed a fairly well used road leading directly north in the direction of Longtompass,

and when Gideon checked his routes4africa map it revealed that this was indeed shown on his map, so we followed it. After some time we got to an open gate with a warning that we were now entering private property, and no trespassing was allowed.
Well needless to say we continued, till our progress was halted about 6 km?s before we got to the Longtompass road that lead to Sabie, by a locked gate.

Highly disappointed we turned around and head back along the route.
Has Bla Bla Black Sheep been sleeping with Ryperd?

Gideon decided to go and ask at the farmhouse we passed earlier

whether they had a key to let us through, and was told the owner is on his way, and would come and unlock the key for us. After a while a Land Cruiser pulled up with four men, two sitting on the back with hunting rifles, while the owner was not a happy chappie. Fortunately he could count, so he just told us to get off his property, and that he would not open the gate for us. So we headed back,

and continued with the main road

that eventually passed the Sudwala Caves, and onto a lovely tarr section that took us to Sabie.

By now it was dark, so we headed for the campsite, pitched out tents

and went to Woodsman  for supper, as it was cold, misty and wet! We met this oke from Cape Town circumnavigating South Africa on Vespa Scooters. 8500 km?s in 60 days. www.scooteraddicts.co.za .All for charity

Upon our return we tried to get the fire going, and after three tries

and a packed of Stormers fire lighters, we managed to get it going.

Friday morning greeted us with mist and lots of dampness around,

while Excalibur was wrestling the Bulls Horn in his tent.

Crazy Eyes had to do some mending on the KTM

So once he was done we packed and headed to Pelgrims Rest.

Excalibur had camped here a few weeks ago, and recommended the place.

We pulled into the campsite,

pitched our wet tents and went for a ride. The plan was to follow th egravel road from Pelgrims to Bourke?s Luck and then take the turn off over the Caspersneck pass.

If you can chuck this metal ball out of the tyre & back in you get a free beer!
Petrol stop in Pelgrims

Johny at the Vine pub said that the road was �± 500 meters past the Barloworld farm,

so when I passed the farm I saw a nice road leading towards the mountain. This was not Caspersneck, but a fine route none the less.

Excalibur & Crazy Eyes had turned around as they realized we were on the wrong route, so halfway up the mountain when I stopped for a smokebreak, Ufudo informed me about this. He volunteered to turn back and join them, while the rest of us continued on this unknown road. We would then turn towards Ohrigstad and meet them somewhere along that road. Our route took us up and over the mountain, and eventually we hit the tarr road that lead to Ohrigstad. We met Ufudo, Excalibur & Kary Eyes,

and decided we gonna cross Caspers Neck from this side

while they headed back to the campsite. Caspers Neck was a breeze, and by 16:00 we were all back at the campsite in Pelgrims.

That night we had a mean fire, braaied some meat and talked nonsense till late into the night. Saturday morning we rose and discussed which route we were gonna ride that day. Nobody was sure what or where we were gonna ride, so I suggested lets ride to Mariepskop. The idea was met favourably so everybody packed, except Excalibur & myself as we wanted to return to Pelgrims and spend the night there. Meanwhile Funacide & Gustav (Amstel) headed back to Gauteng.

We ate in Graskop

and then headed towards Blesbokrand, before we turned north on the easter side of the Blyde river canyon. This route was absolutely awesome and had everything from flat out sections, water crossings,

mud & even some sand.
Beer break

We got the Mariepskop

and

managed to bribe our way past the guard to get to the top. Our efforts were rewarded with an absolutely awesome view over the Klaserie part of the country.

In our efforts to find the best viewpoint we managed to loose Digital Dan, and once we got back to the guard at the boom he told us DD was there but had turned back up the mountain.

It was getting late so Excalibur & myself decided to leave while the other waited on him, as we had not packed our tents, etc as we planned on staying at Pelgrims again.

The others were gonna stay at the Swadini Aventura, which was just around the corner.  
Excalibur & myself got back to Pelgrims

after passing the Bobbers pass in the dark ? not fun,

just in time to see the Bulls winning, and then sat down to watch the Stormers beating the Crusaders J. During the half time break the barman meantioned that he would eat a raw egg if the Stormers won. Well we held him to his word.

Meanwhile Excalibur & myself was having too much redwine!

The barman decided we were gonna stay till very late so he served us a concoxtion that saw me heading for my bed in minutes

Sunday morning we headed to Graskop, on to Hazyview and had breakfast at Woodsman in Sabie. After breakfast it was Longtom pass on to Lydenburg, over Steenkampsberg pass on the Middelburg and via N4 to Pta to watch the MotoGp which started at 14:00. We travelled some awesome routes and had lts of laughter & fun.
In hindsight the group was maybe a bit too big, it?s difficult to please everybody all the time, but for a fisrt time we did one helluva job. Thanks to all for their patience and contributions. We will ride again.
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline Butch

Mpumalanga
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2006, 08:07:54 pm »
Wow  :!: Good pics. Some amazing scenery.
Live and let live.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Mpumalanga
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2006, 08:38:05 pm »
Buggers, highly pissed off I seriously wish I could have been there.

Welsh
An aspiring Coddiwompler
I want to grow my own food, looking for Bacon seeds

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
Mpumalanga
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2006, 09:37:36 pm »
beautiful part of the world.... lekker pics man  :)  :)  :)
it was a rather large looking crowd  :shock:

Offline krazy-eyes

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
Mpumalanga
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2006, 09:52:55 pm »
i got home this afternoon after bidding gideon, dd, and ufudo a fare well halfway between strydom tunnel and graskop. i had to be back tonite, but the three of them headed towards barberton and should return via that side of the country tomorrow.

leo's pics tell the story pretty well, and i will post my best/favourite pics in the morning.

all in all, a GREAT weekend! - the riding, weather, and scenery was excellent, but in the end the company made the trip worth while. it was great meeting all of you and cant wait to do the next ride. i learnt a great deal, in terms of bike handling, from you guys.

the highlight for me was my first river crossing (see leo's pic above), scary but awesome.

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R
    • Mediro Business Service Management
Mpumalanga
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2006, 12:10:28 am »
First of all, let me start by saying, this was probably the best trip I have ever done, thanks to everyone for the trip and thanks to Leo for leading most of the way (but not for all the dust I ate)?.. I am not going to post all the pics, just the ones that have not been posted already?

The night before we left Gavin who works with me and got his bike on the Wednesday before we left (yet to register, but I am told will be registering soon) joined at my place to pack and get some riding practice before we left

We thought we were keen to get going by being at the garage at 07h05, but Excaliber and UFUDO were already waiting. After everyone had arrived, and general traveling procedures were worked out, we left through Mamelodi and on to Dullstroom?.

All of us at the garage (Corner Hans Strijdom and Lynwood). They don?t serve coffee, which we will have to sort out if we meet there more often?.

There were some awesome views on the way there. Everyone stopping for a smoke break and some pics of the scenery?.

Needing a short burst of speed on the black stuff, I went ahead to take some on-the-road shots?

Leo, seeing the camera?

Excalibur

Gavin

Digital Dan

Gideon

Ufud0

Waiting for the D$%^#$%S to come open the gate? yeah right?.

We arrived late in SABIE and after some dinner, set up camp?
My parking/sleeping spot

Everyone around the fire (after we eventually got it going) enjoying some well deserved liquid refreshment?

DD?s spot

Excalibur fetching refreshment from the bar (commonly known as Leo?s top box)

On day 2 we headed to Pilgrims to dump the kit and setup camp, on the way we enjoyed the tar strip between Sabie and Pilgrims, man these are awesome biking roads?.

Leo and myself were a bit ahead at the top of the pass before Pilgrims so we stopped to take some pics?

We then headed out as described by Leo earlier.

The track on the way up the mountain heading towards Crystal springs?

A bit further up, we were met with some spectacular views?

To come out on the top of Robbers pass

We then did the Caspersnek pass, a nice route with some fast sections? before heading back to Pilgrims for some liquid refreshment?.

Back in Pilgrims, it became very clear who was leading the trip by the cleanliness of the leader (Leo) and the dirt on the followers (Gideon as an example)

That evening, we had an awesome braai and a few drinks?..

The next morning, it was unfortunately time for Gavin and I to head home. Saturday morning, with everyone getting up and getting going?
Excalibur (left) and Digital Dan looking cold

Leo looking full of smiles for so early in the morning

The camp area in Pilgrims, much nicer place than Sabie (cleaner toilets and cheaper) IMO

Gideon getting up to get clean?

Gideon and Digital Dan enjoying a bit of early morning sun

Ufudo, looking a bit grumpy before coffee is ready?..

Gavin and I left for a quick and uneventful tar road trip home, back in PTA by 15h00. What an awesome trip and again thanks to everyone for a GR8 ride
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
KTM 1190 ADV R
KTM 890 ADV R

Offline Leo

Mpumalanga
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2006, 11:25:27 am »
Pic was taken through the hub of my rear wheel  :shock:
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

shark_za

Mpumalanga
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2006, 12:22:00 pm »
I was going at 120 plus a lot of the time, just shows you how much time you had to setup a shot like that...
Jaagduiwel.

Offline krazy-eyes

• Race Dog
Mpumalanga
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2006, 02:00:16 pm »
the reason gideon's luggage went flying. does that look like it is less than 10kg's ?

the KTM as God intended it:

9 bikers arrive, suddenly they all have headlamps, and 10 minutes later there is a camp:

gideon having a smoke  :lol:

the gang, somewhere in bushbuck ridge:

somewhere near the top of mariepskop:

finally home, tired as heck, but well satisfied with my "ysterperd". it did the job and come out smiling. proof that one can have the best of both worlds - it handles the dirt, the rivers, the mud, and the twisties on tar extremey well, then runs at 160 all the way home without a hitch:

great trip!

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
Mpumalanga
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2006, 07:18:48 pm »
Hi guys we are back

Gideon, Ufodu and myself arrived back at the Engen we started on Thursday. We arrived around 5pm with a total distance of 1600 km covered. We had some rain near Swaziland and surrounds but were rewarded by some awesome scenery. Looking forward to sleep in a bed and getting some good rest. Bikes ran well, I will post the pictures tomorrow. Thanks to everyone it was a great trip !
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Grootseun

Mpumalanga
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2006, 07:43:42 am »
Jeeez...well done gents...

Looks like much fun was had...great pics and glad every1 is back safely..

Offline THEdude (R.I.P)

• Pack Dog
  • RIP
Mpumalanga
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2006, 09:38:47 am »
I thoroughly enjoyed the trip to Sabie, and are very envyous that I lost out on the Pelgrimsrust/return part. Judging from the pictures it must have been a blast. Had to stay over an extra night in Nelspruit due to an unforeseen crisis, but it was fortunately sorted out. Did brief moments on dirt returning from Nelspruit, but it was still excruciatingly boring ...

Offline krazy-eyes

• Race Dog
Mpumalanga
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2006, 10:26:01 am »
yup, i didnt relish the idea of returning all by myself on sunday, but i promised my gf i'd be back on sunday night. i wanted to get it overwtih asap, and didnt feel like paying for tolgates. luckily my plate attaches with velcro, so off came the plate, and up went the speed  :twisted:
i did the 380km from sabie to jhb in 3,5 hours averaging 145 on the gps (including fuel/rest 3 stops).

the KTM used an overall average of 6.5l per 100km over the whole trip.

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R
    • Mediro Business Service Management
Mpumalanga
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2006, 10:34:00 am »
So all you guys who took photos, post them please!!!!
KTM 1190 ADV R
KTM 890 ADV R

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
Mpumalanga
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2006, 10:59:25 am »
Great going people! Nice report and pics.

Where was the "Quads not Allowed" sign? :P

Love that pic of the local doing the water crossing on his bike! If they can do it, so can I! :lol:

Leo. Why do you say group was maybe too big? Choices to take on which routes to follow meaning some might not ride a route they maybe wanted to?
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline >Herman<

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • If not now, when?
Mpumalanga
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2006, 11:03:34 am »
Quote from: "JourneyMan"
Choices to take on which routes to follow meaning some might not ride a route they maybe wanted to?

:oops: I don't understand this sentence  :?

shark_za

Mpumalanga
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2006, 11:06:27 am »
Democracy, aka mob rule sucks.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
Mpumalanga
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2006, 11:12:45 am »
Quote from: "bla-bla black sheep"
Quote from: "JourneyMan"
Choices to take on which routes to follow meaning some might not ride a route they maybe wanted to?

:oops: I don't understand this sentence  :?

My delicious engleesh! :oops:

Don't know how to put it otherwise. Maybe someone will understand the question. :?  Maybe let me add this. Majority of group decides to go this way but the minority wanted to go another route so minority looses out? Too many in group with ideas/expectations for the weekend "clashing"?

Maybe Leo referred to something else? :?

Comprendo?

Yikes. Now even I am confused. :oops:  :lol:
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Grootseun

Mpumalanga
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2006, 12:55:05 pm »
Im surprised you did not run into any of the ABBG folk...in the lowveld...