Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Mpumalanga  (Read 5574 times)

Offline krazy-eyes

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
Mpumalanga
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2006, 01:13:06 pm »
the no-quad signs were near mariepskop.

yes the group was too big.
no, dont get me wrong, it was a blast getting to know so many like minded (and well behaved) people at once. but yes, interests do clash to a minor degree from time to time.
logistically it gets a bit much when it is time to pay for campsites, restaurants etc. Also time waiting whilst re-fuelling, shopping for supplies, and at turn-offs could have been spent stopping at scenic spots, mingling with locals, and taking more photos.
the bigger a group, the more the skill levels differ ie. the fast guys feel like theyre always waiting, and the slow guys feel like they cant keep up.

and finally (for me) it is a nightmare trying to remember so many new names and faces, although i think i got them all in the end  :lol:

i would say the optimal size for a group over a weekend like this would be 4 MAX.

Offline Leo

Mpumalanga
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2006, 01:15:33 pm »
Quote from: "JourneyMan"
Maybe Leo referred to something else?

Well that amongst other things. Gideon had planned this moerse long dirt route from Dullstroom to Lydenburg - 192 km vs 50 km on tarr. I'm sure Gideon badly wanted to do that section, but the majority opted for the fast tarr and then try a totally different rioute  8)

Also we ate in restaurant first night, while some wanted to braai or eat something /somewhere else, also had breakfast at restaurant every day, some wanted to prepare own food,
Sleep in Pelgrims, vs sleep somewhere else, etc etc.

It's just difficult as we are all individuals, each with his own likes & dislikes, so to have such a large group and please everybody all the time is nearly impossible.

That being said however I think we managed  to please most of the people some of the time, but not all the people all the time!

Quote from: "Grootseun"
you did not run into any of the ABBG folk

We saw hundreds of them. Seems like most of their tarr routes also covered the areas we were riding in.
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R
    • Mediro Business Service Management
Mpumalanga
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2006, 01:19:49 pm »
I think it was maybe  a bit big, but all in all worked out pretty darn well. You must expect to fit in with everyone's decisions when riding in a group, even 4 peeps would want different routes, eating etc...

I still think it was awesome....
KTM 1190 ADV R
KTM 890 ADV R

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
Mpumalanga
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2006, 01:40:01 pm »
I'd rather go in too big a group than not at all! :P

All very valid points.

On the DR, we were 12 in our group (within the bigger group of 1000 odd).

We kept a kitty with one person responsible to pay all the fuel, camping, croceries, booze etc. Helped a lot. Budgeting beforehand with final accounting afterwards.

Also, we more often than not went our different ways, routes, playing, speed, slower riders etc. with final meet up at stop over. Worked well and most were happy. Even then still not possible to cater to all needs.

The bigger the group, the more upfront detailed planning must be done, IMO. Not only routes but logistics as well.

Cool that you guys did it first time with so many new faces and not to many frustrations.. DS family seems to make it happen easier. 8)
He who angers you, controls you.

shark_za

Mpumalanga
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2006, 02:28:56 pm »
On another subject, the biltong shop at Loskop was pretty cool, and it was only 975m above sea level.
On the way to Dullstroom we went over 2150m above.

Can imagine what the readings were on the rest of the jounrney.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Mpumalanga
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2006, 04:05:05 pm »
Quote from: "Leo"
 That being said however I think we managed  to please most of the people some of the time, but not all the people all the time!

If I remember the quote correctly it was " you can fool (please) some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, which is just long enough to become President of the United States of America!"
Spike Milligan!

Cool trip, cool reports, stay cool guys, these trips are not a package holiday! Interaction and some disagreement are to be expected, so what is the issue, do the guys want a set map and a set menu, I do not think so!

What we could do better for the bigger groups (sorry I was not there) is to possibly post say camping and expected eating options earlier, this issue is seldom an issue with small groups. We even have had changes of plan on half day trips.

If there is a "kick off" meeting maybe (makes sense to me) split the bigger group into sub groups of say 3 or 4 people who want to do the same thing, restaurant versus braai camp versus hotel etc.  

Welshie   8)
An aspiring Coddiwompler
I want to grow my own food, looking for Bacon seeds

Offline krazy-eyes

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
Mpumalanga
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2006, 05:07:33 pm »
gideons route would have been cool, but none of us anticipated that we would only be ready to leave dulstroom at such a late stage of the day (probably 'cause we were so many).
i also had ideas for how the weekend should have gone down, BUT i think it unfolded even better the way it did!
i like not knowing where i'll end up tonite, and thats exactly what happened all weekend.

ps. what is ABBG?

Offline Leo

Mpumalanga
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2006, 10:28:48 pm »
Quote from: "krazy-eyes"
what is ABBG?

Annual BMW Bikers Gathering.

Was held in Badplaas over the same time we did the WWR!

Offline UFUDO

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Mpumalanga
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2006, 06:41:49 am »
My idea of a trip is as follows. Every one on the trip must be self sufficient. ie have all there own kit.  An area gets chosen in which to ride. As the trip progresses the people decide on each days specific route. If you happen to not like that route decide on your own route and go that way. No-one will force you to ride a route if you dont want to. With cell phones you can also meet up later that night.

The main reason we do trips is to see this beautiful country of ours, by travelling the roads less travelled. Of course that might mean changing our plans half way thru. On a map we would see a little side road heading off our intended route. Upon seeing this road we would see it leads into a beautiful valley with lovely scenery. So the plans get changed.

We also want adventure. It is good not knowing where you will be sleeping that night.

If poeple want a trip thats more structured, may I suggest some kind of bus tour.....
"Africa is not for Sissies!!"

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Mpumalanga
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2006, 07:04:30 am »
Quote from: "UFUDO"
My idea of a trip is as follows. Every one on the trip must be self sufficient. ie have all there own kit.  An area gets chosen in which to ride. As the trip progresses the people decide on each days specific route. If you happen to not like that route decide on your own route and go that way. No-one will force you to ride a route if you dont want to. With cell phones you can also meet up later that night.

The main reason we do trips is to see this beautiful country of ours, by travelling the roads less travelled. Of course that might mean changing our plans half way thru. On a map we would see a little side road heading off our intended route. Upon seeing this road we would see it leads into a beautiful valley with lovely scenery. So the plans get changed.

We also want adventure. It is good not knowing where you will be sleeping that night.

If poeple want a trip thats more structured, may I suggest some kind of bus tour.....

Agreed  8)

Welsh

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who niether enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat"
-Theodore Roosevelt
An aspiring Coddiwompler
I want to grow my own food, looking for Bacon seeds

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R
    • Mediro Business Service Management
Mpumalanga
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2006, 08:09:32 am »
Agree with UFUDO on that one. I kind of like the unstructured mode....
KTM 1190 ADV R
KTM 890 ADV R

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
Mpumalanga
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2006, 08:21:03 am »
I have the smallest least comfortable bike, no mattress or rain gear, no GPS or even a map ..... I think I'm the least structured  :lol:

PS have a camera for nice piccies though  :D
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
Mpumalanga
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2006, 11:51:47 am »
All the ride outs and bike weekends I have been on we generally do our own thing and with the group as we like. If someone prefers eating breakfeast in a restuarant let them go and meet up later. We prepare our own food most of the time and nothing like a lekker braai when you camping somewhere. If it rains - nothing better than a restuarant somewhere :D

We tend do do big group offroad rides in the UK and sometimes the group splits up and sometimes they stick together. No one has to stay the whole day and if they want to go home or try another route no worries :wink:

Honest problem with some of us South-Africans we were brought up very structured and in a nearly militant way hence the reason we struggle to sometimes just go with the flow and not follow some sort of rigid plan or group (No offence if you don't fall in this category but I certainly do and have seen many SA's over here struggling to get rid of that type of mentality, not that it is a bad thing in any case)

oops nearly forgot to add this as well :oops:

You guys certainly had a great weekend away and very very jealous of the scenery and pics taken 8)
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline Leo

Mpumalanga
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2006, 01:15:38 pm »
may I suggest some kind of bus tour.....

I agree 100%

I hated the fact that I had to rush back on Sat night as I HAD to sleep in Pelgrims  8) Made a mistake, but will rectify that on the next ride  8)

That's the problem with organizing all your accom before hand. There's no flexibility, you have to get to point B cause that's where your booking is  :twisted:

Also read somewhere someone said (Think it was JM) that a back -up vehicle is essential.
I totally disagree - where's the adventure if you have the ease of mind that whenever your bike breaks down, you can simply load it on the trailor. Bring me the oke who will not make 100% sure his bike is in absolute nick if he knows there's not gonna be any backup  :D

shark_za

Mpumalanga
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2006, 01:17:11 pm »
Says the ex military officer ;)

Offline Scribble

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • RIP Coco thanks for the great times
Mpumalanga
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2006, 01:23:12 pm »
. Bring me the oke who will not make 100% sure his bike is in absolute nick if he knows there's not gonna be any backup  :D[/quote]

now wheres the adventure in that  :wink:
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
Mpumalanga
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2006, 01:26:21 pm »
I must be more adventurous than most because I sometimes don't even take any tools with on a long ride :wink:
If I run into trouble I have to walk home... now THATS an adventure!

shark_za

Mpumalanga
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2006, 01:28:51 pm »
Your bunch relies on BMW on call more than you should.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
Mpumalanga
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2006, 01:38:00 pm »
Quote from: "Leo"
may I suggest some kind of bus tour.....

Also read somewhere someone said (Think it was JM) that a back -up vehicle is essential. :D

Was me and not essential but lekker to have the bakkie with all the gear loaded (including cold ones) and leave you and the bike free of luggage. Trailers is for the off-roads. ride mos a BMW which can not break! :P

That's me. The "arm chair" type of rider.

Also. I don't have any of the gear needed to undertake such a trip bike only. Nothing, zip. Only the bike and me.

Must rectify this but will take time.
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Leo

Mpumalanga
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2006, 01:48:46 pm »
Quote from: "JourneyMan"
I don't have any of the gear needed to undertake such a trip bike only

So that explains why you don''t wanna ride with us.  :lol:

Thought you didn't like us  :roll: