Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What's happening to big adventure tourers?  (Read 4972 times)

Offline BliknÍrs

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • I never finish anyth
Re: What's happening to big adventure tourers?
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2012, 09:07:28 pm »
I don't know guys....the big tourers all look great to me! I love looking at my Big Bulky BMW GSA, everyday I seem to fall in love with it again.

Yes, these bikes have many roundings, sticking-out-parts, sharp corners etc...but I think it big draw point is the images of freedom, open roads and distant off places that pop into my head whenever I look at my own and other big touring bikes. There is always a memory (current or future) that lingers in my mind's eye after seeing my bike daily. That spur of the moment run, that gravel road I took on my way somewhere and ending up late where I was suppose to be, that day in the rain, that mud soaked trip..... see where I am going

Point that I am trying to make, is this...all of these bikes are beautiful to me due to the idea behind them. They need to have those outlandish looks, because that is what makes you and other people look twice and also recognise them instantly. Everyone knows which bike is which in the tourer range, and they fill everyone else with envy and lust for adventure.

Personally, if I wanted practical bike design and curves I would have bought a road bike. They all seem to look the same and sound the same, regardless of which one you have. (generalising now, but sure you get the idea)
Give that man a Bells - it's what I wanted to say, only better.
Coming back to the looks - the bikes are maybe overweight and boring but so am I. I wouldn't consider anything else because these bikes takes me where I want to be without fuss, so I don't care what they look like, and neither do my wife and that's a good thing.

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2012, 09:14:15 pm »
but I think it big draw point is the images of freedom, open roads and distant off places that pop into my head whenever I look at my own and other big touring bikes. There is always a memory (current or future) that lingers in my mind's eye after seeing my bike daily. That spur of the moment run, that gravel road I took on my way somewhere and ending up late where I was suppose to be, that day in the rain, that mud soaked trip..... see where I am going

The flip side of that, is that many people out there are swindled into believing that only these big, expensive touring bikes will give them that sense of adventure. Marketing, baby. I remember walking into a BMW dealership once and chatting to a regular (when I had the Dakar) and he said "when you upgrading to a 1200GS?". Err, and what's wrong with my Dakar then?

But please don't misunderstand me. I have nothing against big DS bikes... I'm just looking at the current design trends and wondering what the designers have been smoking  :pot: I've always loved the big GSA for how damn functional it looks from a design point of view. But it seems these bikes just look weird and futuristic. I just see a whole lot of things on the new Beemer that'd make me scared to touch it, for fear it breaks off and costs me my life savings to replace.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:17:15 pm by the_wes »

Offline adv

• <INSERT CUSTOM TITLE HERE>
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • Wheelie Everything.
    • Clutch Up
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2012, 09:17:05 pm »
but I think it big draw point is the images of freedom, open roads and distant off places that pop into my head whenever I look at my own and other big touring bikes. There is always a memory (current or future) that lingers in my mind's eye after seeing my bike daily. That spur of the moment run, that gravel road I took on my way somewhere and ending up late where I was suppose to be, that day in the rain, that mud soaked trip..... see where I am going

The flip side of that, is that many people out there are swindled into believing that only these big, expensive touring bikes will give them that sense of adventure. Marketing, baby. I remember walking into a BMW dealership once and chatting to a regular (when I had the Dakar) and he said "when you upgrading to a 1200GS?". Err, and what's wrong with my Dakar then?

But please don't misunderstand me. I have nothing against big DS bikes... I'm just looking at the current design trends and wondering what the designers have been smoking  :pot:

Its too small, slow and ugly. Oh besides that, the 1200Gs makes us more money when you service it.

on a more serious note, its not the bike you are on that makes it an adventure.

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2012, 09:17:49 pm »
on a more serious note, its not the bike you are on that makes it an adventure.

:thumleft:

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2012, 09:33:52 pm »
Its about the bike.
Always has been and always will be.

Otherwise we would ALL be on generic Chinese scooters and loving it!
 :peepwall:
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2012, 09:47:27 pm »

Only reason why you guys are bitching about heavy bike are because you are too weak to pick them up.  It takes a man to ride the thing.

:peepwall:

Oh so THATS why they are making these things so heavy - so the riders can prove to others that they are REAL MEN  :biggrin:

You mean its like at the gym where the big muscle bound guys have to make those loud funny grunts and drop their weights on the floor a lot?  :biggrin:

Sorry couldnt resist  :thumleft:

Touche.  :thumleft:

In your case:  If it's too heavy, You"re too old.  :biggrin:

No actually if its too heavy, its just badly designed as far as I'm concerned - thats why I ride a Husky 610  :ricky:

.. and they fill everyone else with envy ....

Hmm, not everyone.   :patch: 

Some of us actually dont like these big bikes at all.  But thats OK, you probably wouldnt like my bike either :thumleft:

But to get back on track, the real issue is that BMW have been very successful with the 1200 range and many other OEM's are trying to muscle in on that market which is creating this rash of "me too" look alikes.  Just a pity the original 1200 wasnt exactly a thing of beauty to start with - in comparison to the Bennelli say.

Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline Hinksding

• is beslaan met ligte hoefysters
  • Bike: Honda XR125L
  • Die aai van Loeriesbaai
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2012, 10:44:22 pm »
The Benelli look quite schweet! Wish I could mention the same about the army tank, sorry, I mean the GS.
Eet vleis! 'n 1 000 000 jakkalse kan nie verkeerd wees nie.

Offline BrandsiekBrak

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Formerly known as Lycan
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2012, 08:49:33 am »
Many opinions I see...

What does impress me though, is how we all will live and die by our bike choices!

Well done guys!

At the end, for every "ugly" design, there will be fans
If you are packed for adventure, you can never be lost or late

Previously know as Lycan after getting bitten...
but then became infected

Offline BliknÍrs

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • I never finish anyth
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2012, 05:44:39 pm »
Some don't buy bikes for their looks.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2012, 06:43:22 pm »
The one very big advantage that a large pottohippomus d/s bike has over a small one is how it brings adventure closer. You have to drive quite far often to find difficult terrain on a small D/S bike, on these biggies a mere dirtroad is dangerous.

Offline Brandt

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2012, 06:49:39 pm »
The one very big advantage that a large pottohippomus d/s bike has over a small one is how it brings adventure closer. You have to drive quite far often to find difficult terrain on a small D/S bike, on these biggies a mere dirtroad is dangerous.
:imaposer:] I must agree on this!

Garfield

« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2012, 06:53:32 pm »

:laughing4: die beste een van jou af in 'n lang tyd Danie  :thumleft:

Offline Rags

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2012, 02:55:43 am »
I like the look of the new GS. It looks so space age :D But for 'off' road adventures no thanks. But its better than a Goldwing or something for tar adventures.

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2012, 10:56:51 pm »
The writings on the wall, the ST, Tiger, Guzzi, ST, CT, BM and KTM.  All going the 'fat, spoiled, high maintenance Tygervalley bitch' direction.

Time to take stock of who we are and where we're going. This direction is not d/s riding in my mind any more?

Back to basic?  I'll be making some changes, the writing's on the wall ..

Offline Brandt

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2012, 08:18:23 am »
Just remember, these big bikes are made for with the idea that there will be a pillion involved and it is more for touring than adventure. If you want to do an adventure that is more off-road like Angola buy an 800 or smaller. Only my 2c. These big bikes are fine for most of our gravel roads.

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2012, 08:35:51 am »
The fat bike d/s market is actually becoming the old sport touring market - laced with a bit of gravel for SA circumstances.

Offline J-dog

• Bike: Kymco (all models)
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2012, 08:53:33 am »
Stop bitching about Europeans. 95% of WD's only do gravel roads as well  :peepwall: