What's the ultimate commuter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EATMYKTM.

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
Hi Dawgs
I am getting a bit tired of my Yamaha 100 BWS scooter as a commuter as I feel it's just too slow and not actually that light on fuel (4ltr/100km excluding 2 stroke oil). Up hills i feel really vulnerable and like i'm annoying traffic.
I don't want to modify it as reliabilty suffers, as well as fuel consumption. And the gains you can realistically expect REALIABLYwhen you start with only 4hp are not worth the money.
I would like to hear your opinions on what you think is the ultimate city commuter?
Ideally, it needs to be:
Light on fuel
Easy on tyres
Economical/ easy to service myself
Stylish (this is open to all sorts of personal opinion and quite low on my list of priorities)
Can cruise comfortably at 120km/h and hold 100km/h up big hills.
Some of the options that have drifted through my mind have been:
Honda CB250X Twister: Light on fuel, parts should be cheap, has gears so performance should be ok ish and I have the potential to chop it up into a custom one of a kind type bike. I should be able to get one at a reasonable price too?

BMW R1100R: Pros: Reliable, big bike presence, performance no issue, stylish when tweaked.
                      Cons: Expensive, probably heavy on tyres and brakes and I'm not sure about the fuel consumption?

BMW F650GS: Pro's: Economical, fair on tyres and brakes, easy to service and reliable. Can double as the wifes Adventure bike.
                      Cons: Boring, no style what so ever and my mates will rag me incessently.

SYM CityCom 300 scooter: Pro's: It's a scooter, storage under the seat, light on tyres and brakes, easy to service, performance should be adequate?
                      Cons: Unsure about the performance?                 

Attachments

• Honda CB 250 Twister.jpg
    Honda CB 250 Twister.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 2,547
  • BMW R 1100 R.jpg
    BMW R 1100 R.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 2,523
  • BMW F650GS Dakar.jpg
    BMW F650GS Dakar.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 2,541
  • SYM Citycom 300.jpg