Impendle Technical

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonW

Grey Hound
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
Boss Hoss (all models)
So no-one wanted to join me on this ride, so I decided to do it this morning, by myself.

I first saw this track about a month ago when we were setting up routes for the Alfie Cox festival, but we didn't get to go down the track as it looked like it could be a bit too hectic. So we decided to leave it for the time being and maybe rather try do it from the bottom to the top, as that way if we came across anything too rough we could always turn around and go back down.

Anyway I decided to risk doing it from the top, mainly because I wasn't too sure where it came out at the bottom.

Looking down into the valley:

DSC03644.jpg

You can see the track along the side of the mountain that I had to follow

DSC03646.jpg

The start of the descent:

DSC03647.jpg

DSC03649.jpg

There was nothing too hectic, just lots and lots of rocks:

DSC03651.jpg

DSC03652.jpg

DSC03653.jpg

DSC03654.jpg

DSC03657.jpg

This rocky section was not too bad, just long and tiring. Had to stop quite a few times to let the XR cool down, it doesn't really like spending extended periods in 1st gear. Probably time for me to get a fan fitted.

There were no big drops or anything, but I am glad I did the down ride, wouldn't like to ride up this track.

Some nice views of the river below

DSC03659.jpg

Then the rocks were gone and the terrain levelled out, what a pleasure to get a bit of wind on my face after spending the last hour in first gear.

DSC03660.jpg

DSC03661.jpg

But then I got to this section where trees were lying across the track. Going back up the path to the top was not an option, so I tried braking whatever branches off that I could, the rest I managed to ride over.

DSC03666.jpg

DSC03669.jpg

Got over them ok, but then at the bottom of the little hill I came to this:

DSC03670.jpg

As I said, going all the way back was not an option, so with the help of some logs lying nearby, together with some rocks that I put at the back of the pipe, I made this obstacle a bit more rideable

DSC03673.jpg

Twisted the throttle and I got over no problem.

Nice 2 track riding after this, no more rocks to worry about.

My only concern at this stage was where I was going to cross the Umkomaas River, as we have had quite a lot of rain and it looked very full

DSC03674.jpg

DSC03675.jpg

DSC03676.jpg

Then as I got close to the river I spotted a logical place to cross  :biggrin:

DSC03678.jpg

Someone had built this bridge in the middle of nowhere which was just perfect

DSC03684.jpg

After that the path became wider, then got onto a road and soon joined up with the Impendle - Himeville road.

Was a great morning out in the country, very glad made the effort to do this route, well worth the trouble.

Got back to Hilton just before 13h00, in time for lunch.

Any dogs wanna join me next time?