KTM 950S vs BMW800GS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
I suspect an overwhelming KTM biast opinion here, but who are the guys who owned both these bikes? Is there a big enough difference between these bikes to warrant a switch in either direction.
We all know about the 800's suspension issues and the KTM's dirt orientated suspension, yet I have seen KTM's advertised with progressive springs in front. If the stock KTM suspension was this good, why a progressive upgrade and if both were upgraded, is there still such a big difference between the two?
I see the 800 gives the 990's a run for their money in top end, so is the 950 really that much more powerful than the 800? Then as far as fuel consumption is concerned I suspect the 800 will win, but how far. I know reliability will be difficult to judge, yet what is your opinion. What is the position regarding spares availability. Not necessarily major parts, more like service items and the availability of non branded items, filters etc. Let's take the emotion out of this and judge purely on facts. Will you swap an 800 for a 950S, or vice versa, and if you already have, will you do it again?