Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Wilddog down............... Recouperating well - back on the wheels!  (Read 7579 times)

Offline J-dog

• Bike: Kymco (all models)
Re: Wilddog down............... X-Rays added?
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2012, 01:08:35 pm »
have you got the cash for the operation?

probably 50-80k

Offline Lem

« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2012, 01:22:00 pm »
well, it's a good, clean snap on both bones

it's an easy fix. If Karl Bremer doesn't have an orthopedic theatre anymore then I doubt the smaller towns will have it in their hospitals.

Must try bigger towns.

Hottentots Holland in Somerset West is a good hospital.
Mossel Bay has a big Provincial Hospital. Just don't go further East, in the Eastern Cape they'll fix the wrong leg. 

if he can get a slot, I'm sure the Dogs can make a plan to get him there quicker than a Government Hi-Ace Ambulance .
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2012, 01:31:34 pm »
have you got the cash for the operation?

probably 50-80k

Nope - unfortunately we don't have that sort of cash.......... the savings we had, have been used here in the UK where neither of us are working - living off SA Rand at the moment (horrible exchange rate) while we sorted out my wife's 88-yr old mum..............  now we have done what we needed to do - we will come back to SA to hopefully start our lives from scratch.  :-\

The laaitie also has no funds/medical aid........ he's only just finished his Plumber's course and only been working for 2 weeks before accident.......

Life's a bitch mate........... just as you get up on your feet - something nails you............. 
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2012, 01:47:22 pm »
Hi Goose.

Dr Bernstein said that he would not have physical side effects if he waited till next week to have the op.  He is going to Victoria Hospital on Monday morning at 6am and once he is in their system they must help him even if it is not the same day. At Government hospitals they will usually tell you no over the phone, as they have people who are dying and have much more serious injuries. But once you are at the hospital , he goes onto the waiting list and at some point they must give him the op.

At this stage the main thing he has to do is bear the pain and discomfort and emotional stress until Monday. He does have strong painkillers and is well looked after.  All of us who ride bikes have been injured ,its a side affect of riding a bike and we have to bear the pain and trauma when something goes wrong. He is struggling now, but it is also an important life lesson and will also teach him defensive riding and will keep him alive in the future.

He is in good hands , nothing much more anyone can do at this stage. Great if another hospital can take him earlier , but for now he is resting with his leg up and he and his mom are coping.  :thumleft:

Good luck it must be hard for you being there :thumleft:.  Will chat to you after I have seen him. :thumleft:

Offline Goose

• Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2012, 01:54:21 pm »
Hi Goose.

Dr Bernstein said that he would not have physical side effects if he waited till next week to have the op.  He is going to Victoria Hospital on Monday morning at 6am and once he is in their system they must help him even if it is not the same day. At Government hospitals they will usually tell you no over the phone, as they have people who are dying and have much more serious injuries. But once you are at the hospital , he goes onto the waiting list and at some point they must give him the op.

At this stage the main thing he has to do is bear the pain and discomfort and emotional stress until Monday. He does have strong painkillers and is well looked after.  All of us who ride bikes have been injured ,its a side affect of riding a bike and we have to bear the pain and trauma when something goes wrong. He is struggling now, but it is also an important life lesson and will also teach him defensive riding and will keep him alive in the future.

He is in good hands , nothing much more anyone can do at this stage. Great if another hospital can take him earlier , but for now he is resting with his leg up and he and his mom are coping.  :thumleft:

Good luck it must be hard for you being there :thumleft:.  Will chat to you after I have seen him. :thumleft:

Renette - you are a seriously great friend...........  cannot thank you enough!

I had a Skype message from his mom saying he's bouncing up the walls.... and she's obviously stressed.

Your input and visit will mean the world to him.............. just don't forget the pics...... we have to have the pics!   :thumleft:

........ you're right - sitting here with my hands tied is probably the same position I'd have been in if I was over there............   :eek7:  - just feel helpless !

give him a good talking to though......... he's a good kid!   :thumleft:
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2012, 01:58:30 pm »
Pleasure Goose.  :thumleft:

Yes I have also had some broken ribs and know how eina and uncomfortable it can be , but only one way to deal with it , is stoicly.

Have just spoke to his mom and they are handling the situation very well under the circumstances.

And yes will take pics . :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline ktmmer

« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2012, 02:07:19 pm »
Rynet , jy is die tipe pel wat oor is, na almal al weggehardloop het.

Ek hoop jy het net sulke goeie vriende wanneer jy hulle nodig het!!

Jy verdien n Bells!!!   :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Kerritz

• KTSSSSK!
  • Forum Whore
  • What a SUPER-loss....DAMMIT man!
« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2012, 02:52:38 pm »
EEeish.....sien die nou eers raak. Sterkte daar en good on you Rynet!!!  :thumleft:
Vorige skoeters: XT660E, TL1000R, 2006 R1200GSA, 2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Anniversary, CRF450R, CRF450X, DRZ400SM, 950 Adventure, 990 SuperDuke (ISM) 2012 R1200GS Triple Black, F800GS, Wolskoeter!

Kaapse Jelly Tot!

Offline red baron

« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2012, 03:46:38 pm »
Hi Goose as promissed popped in to see dirk just after lunch, got a laugh or two out of dirk & his mom. She was on her way to a meeting. What they need are calm people around them that can make them laugh  :lol8: dirks meds are pretty good pain is bareable when not moving. his colour is good and very chipper. i love his art work, sure that's not your genes at work. Now go and have a dop. Alles sal reg kom. rgds Red Baron
if u cant be a good example be a great warning to others

Offline Goose

• Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2012, 03:59:59 pm »
Hi Goose as promissed popped in to see dirk just after lunch, got a laugh or two out of dirk & his mom. She was on her way to a meeting. What they need are calm people around them that can make them laugh  :lol8: dirks meds are pretty good pain is bareable when not moving. his colour is good and very chipper. i love his art work, sure that's not your genes at work. Now go and have a dop. Alles sal reg kom. rgds Red Baron

Thanks matey...........  listen his mom did indeed say that you'd been. It made a huge impression on them - the fact that a total stranger cared enough to take time out to come and see him.
Much appreciated mate!!

We have decided that as soon as we get back to SA (after the Bash) - we'll have a get-together and a decent braai for you chaps & ladies that have shown so much interest and care.!!  Would be absolutely great!   :thumleft:

Offline EssBee

« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2012, 04:39:57 pm »
The cameraderie amongst WD's is awesome...I've been subject to it in a moment of duress myself, albeit much much less serious than your plight, Goose, but it is wonderful and overwhelming.

All I can do, however, is spare thoughts of hope, and cross all digits firmly that this pans out for the best for you all.

Kudos to you guys who are helping!

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2012, 10:05:54 pm »
Goose, have you tried Sommerset hospital in CT.. if he goes there, like Ryneyt said, he has to go through the system, they won't turn him away.. my boet went there with a cracked skull and they were awesome.

Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Shaun
« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2012, 11:02:44 pm »
EEeish.....sien die nou eers raak. Sterkte daar en good on you Rynet!!!  :thumleft:

+1 :o :o

Eish,... Peter, sorry tho hear about this incident. :(

Really so nice to see so many Pack Members pulling together to help out in various ways. Makes me feel real proud to belong to this Forum :thumleft:

All the best Goose. Trust your son will get sorted out soon. ;)
"Always Believe In Yourself"

Quote: "Riding a Bike feeds something inside us, that Nothing else can"
Quote: "I Ride because it can turn the Worst Day into the BEST"

Offline Goose

• Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2012, 10:05:24 pm »
So as my son's going to be horizontal for a while it seems that hopefully he'll have some time to be more active on the forum!

Welcome back Dirk  ... Erm ... Woofles!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:12:37 pm by Goose »

Offline Woofles

• Bike: Yamaha XT550
« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2012, 10:23:36 pm »
Hey all so i see i have been registered on Wild Dogs for quite a long time, apologies for not being active was not aware of this :patch:

Any way as you all know iv'e just come off my DR200 and broke my leg quite badly, as excruciating and unbearable that the pain has been iv'e had alot of support coming from a bunch of guys and gals that like to ride bikes,people i don't even know, i had a awesome visit from Rynet and from red baron, who are both great people full of life, and Rynet being one kick-ass woman who knows more about bikes than me  :thumleft:

Goose(pops):thanks for your support, even though so far i feel the love and care!oh and rad jacket you got for me!hehe yeah cant wait to get riding with you again, going to be amazing yeah!

alright so for really what happened...

so i was splitting lines as we all know we can do(which irritates the people in cars!)because we don't have to sit in traffic :) , and as i got about 2 cars away from the intersection this guy started pulling out, it was already to late to break so i tried to swerve, but as i pulled up i looked down, i saw his car connect with my leg, and that was it, i knew..

but ya thanks again all.  O0

« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:30:54 pm by Woofles »
Currently riding a Suzuki DR200 until the XT550 is sorted!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2012, 01:38:52 am »
Eish sorry to hear Woofles, hope everything goes okay on Monday.

It know its hard but the pain will be there no matter what happens, just try and park that feeling somewhere and ignore it - I find that helps after a while.

What does your employer say - I hope you still have work...  :(

Goose/Woofles please shout if you need financial assistance and confirm banking details. (I'm not sure if its needed now or not... :dontknow: )
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 01:39:23 am by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Woofles

« Reply #96 on: October 14, 2012, 09:11:39 am »
no worries x-Rays, and thanks, going to have to sit in a line for about 2 hours trying to get on the system but that will be the worst of it,once done it should all go quick compared to the last week.

at the moment the itching under the cast is what is getting to me more than anything, i have great meds for the pain :drif:

i know the 2 options with an injury like this are generally that the employer get a replacement or just a temp till im healed up, luckily they have chosen to get a temp and the second im fine to work i can go back!
i think its more because my boss rides bikes as well and has recently had an accident himself, so i think he can sympathize with me and he came to visit yesterday with his wife,very nice people.

must say i feel very lucky, i still have my leg,job and if anything its brought me closer to my family.

about the finances...it will cost just under 50k but we will make a plan, thank you so much for the offer, much appreciated.

Offline Goose

• Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #97 on: October 14, 2012, 09:36:11 am »
Eish sorry to hear Woofles, hope everything goes okay on Monday.

It know its hard but the pain will be there no matter what happens, just try and park that feeling somewhere and ignore it - I find that helps after a while.

What does your employer say - I hope you still have work...  :(

Goose/Woofles please shout if you need financial assistance and confirm banking details. (I'm not sure if its needed now or not... :dontknow: )

As usual the Wilddogs don't disappoint - HOWEVER - Rynet has indicated that the Road Accident Fund would accept liability and assist. 

So for now - I would suggest that financial assistance is not given until we have all the facts as to what they are paying for..........  I'll stretch our funds as far as possible first mate!

There are people with far more need than us....  and some of the Dawgs have been kind enough to assist............. 

What would be of great help is if/when help is perhaps needed  for transporting him to & from the hospital........... but even this we could probably cope with for now.

Meanwhile we hope for the best ......... the weekend just needs to fly past and I'm sure that as soon as the leg's been set, and recovery can start - all will be well! (that ends well...  :mwink:)

Offline Rodlau

« Reply #98 on: October 14, 2012, 09:52:06 am »
Welcome Woofies. All the best for Monday. Bone type operations are normally made up of 3 aspects. First is the operation itself and this is in 99.99999% of the time a great success. After this it is up to you.  Listen carefully to what the doctor and physio have to say and then do it 100% like they say. Don't be a windie and try and jump the gun. Stick to the time frame of the healing process.  Last but by no means least, keep Right mind set. Be positive. There are many WD here for you to call on.  I am a long way from Cape Town but if I can help in anyway, let me know

Offline Woofles

« Reply #99 on: October 14, 2012, 11:06:14 am »
 :ricky:
thanks Rodlau for the advice i shall do so.
i am finding it quite easy to stay positive with all the support of the WD and very much looking forward to starting my own adventure, reading all the ride reports is installing a new kind of appreciation for riding all together and keeping me busy so not to focus on the negativity of this incident.
thanks again and i will definitely shout if im in need of any assistance.