Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: RAD - Rip off or providing a service?  (Read 9231 times)

Offline Serf

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
RAD - Rip off or providing a service?
« on: October 08, 2012, 07:48:20 pm »
A group of us did the quads 4 quads up run.

RAD had a service tent, so when one guy on a 990 had a flat front wheel he took the bike to them to fix.

Cost R800
Tube R 350
Slime R 100 (why????????)
Labour R 350  :o

The next morning all the slime set in the bottom of the tube so the guy took it to another shop who took it off and fixed it for R120

My 990 fuel filter gave problems, but they were not interested to make a plan. Just said they did not have the special tools, so i fixed it with the tools i had in my back pack.

If a company send a support vehicle / service, are they suppose to rip off a customer?

I think they lost a lot more than what they gained.

They will never see me again!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
Re: RAD - Rip off or providing a service?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 08:15:03 pm »
RAD?Who are they? Sound like a huge rip-off.

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 08:18:27 pm »
That does sound like a rip-off.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 09:04:16 pm »
Did they have the KY Jelly bucket available or did the just do it Rough And Dirty  :peepwall:
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 09:07:45 pm »
I am very wary of any 3-lettered companies. RIIIIIIIIIP-off, en ek se Foooooook-off.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 09:18:04 pm »
R800 for a flat, don't tell Andy, he will make a fortune  :laughing4:
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 09:23:22 pm »
Now that you mention Andy, Muz, where is the man?

Offline Lear300

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 09:27:51 pm »
I had a small dealing with RAD once. I was shopping around for my Christmas present (my KTM300),and when I called them to find out if they had, they confirmed they did. I started chatting to the salesman telephonically to find out what could be negotiated and what could not, and when he said "for the price of the bike I will load it ona trailer for you, all the extra's will be extra" I put the phne down.

I have never called there again, nor have I stopped when driving past, en-route to and from work. I would rather spend the same money at Full Throttle, if I cant find what I am looking for any where else, at least they are polite when they rip you off :deal:

Offline Hennie

• Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
  • I am a Christian Zionist
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 08:42:02 am »
Here is my report on them during the Q4Q event (Up run).

On the morning of the 3rd day, I noticed that my rear was flat. So I went to the RAD tent, and they confirmed that they could help me...at R200 for a kenda rear tube, and R350 labour.

As they say, beggars can't be choosers.

I then took the bike. A skinny little guy changed the tyre in less than 15 minutes, as they had a stand to change it on. While they were busy, they also made some quirps about dutchmen (to me it's like making racist jokes in front of black people)

So, not only was I ripped off, I was also made uncomfortable. Yes I could have sorted him, but they know very well that you are at their mercy.

I will neither use them again, nor promote them.
Science finds God behind every door they open, but they open those doors long after men and women of faith have been there and gone - Wendy Wippel

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Zionism/christianzionism.html

Offline Keirider

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Kei Mouth
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 09:03:13 am »
RAD?Who are they? Sound like a huge rip-off.

KTM dealer in JHB
It is better to burn out than fade away.

4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul
  Other bike Honda CRF 230

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 09:14:09 am »
And when i charge R50 for a tyre change day including refreshments and food --- guys complain

All i can say is HOES EN BETAAL  :peepwall:
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline Tommy Transalp

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 09:17:21 am »
Sounds like they know how to attract new customers!.... they've only just recently moved into their fancy new premises, and maybe need to pay the rent :pot: Not the best way of supporting the hand that feeds you IMHO :eek7:
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

Offline Tommy Transalp

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 09:20:55 am »
And when i charge R50 for a tyre change day including refreshments and food --- guys complain

Hey Blazes..... R50 bucks is a bargain! I'll have six Zamaleks, whilst I wait for you to change my tubes  :pot: :lol8:
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

Offline bud500

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 09:32:48 am »
When shopping around at KTM dealers in GP, RAD was the most expensive everytime by a substantial amount. This is for OE KTM spares, KTM paraphenalia as well as general biking accesories.

The best service at a fair price I have received so far has been from Raceworx KTM, just a pity they so far from me.
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline D D

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 02:08:52 pm »
Hi All

Thanks for raising these points and without distracting from the issues raised let’s just cover the basics,

Glenn from Q4Q’s tries really hard to put a professional and enjoyable event together for a truly worthy cause, he approached us as no one else wanted to get involved from a support perspective primarily as the costs to send a service team is too high, then there are never enough spares to facilitate all the required repairs and the resources required means losing staff from the workshop which is a double loss as then the workshop efficiency suffers.

We spoke at length and decided the best alternative would be to encourage all riders to have their bikes checked prior to the event, as all that RAD would supply at the event would be running repairs like tubes, tyres, air filters etc with some basic generic accessories.

The costs from RAD’s perspective were in excess of R22 945, this takes into account the staff, the vehicle and travel... it excludes any stock, spares, damages or loss. We then spent R74 000 and some change on generic spares and accessories.

As far as the billing at the event was concerned the reality was that we would never recover the initial costs but had to be able to assist where possible and generally afterhours and late into the evening, the Fee of R350 was established as a fair onsite rate, all spares and accessories sold at the event weren’t marked up but were sold at Recommended Retail Prices.

Furthermore all KTM parts & accessories are priced from KTM Dealernet and fixed by KTM Austria, so when looking for a part on Dealernet be it from JHB, CT or Bloem the price is the same. KTM has done this to ensure a uniform pricing structure. RADMOTO still offers the biggest stock holding on KTM bikes, parts, Powerwear and accessories, we do not charge a premium for this stock availability.

With regards to the Fuel filter issue on the 990 Adv, the client requested that we cut and remove the inner fuel filter... this we would never do as it will surely create issues within the injectors and consequentially the motor down the line, so I do apologise for not acting as per the request but in the interest of safety we declined to butcher the filter.

As for the “Dutchmen” remarks I cannot apologise enough as this type of behaviour is unacceptable in any area, I have spoken to the team and the only recollection they have is of an Afrikaans gentleman who complained at length that they didn’t speak Afrikaans, he was fairly upset with them as a result. Unfortunately our Afrikaans mechanics were needed at the workshop.

The sad reality here is that any good that RAD achieved at this event is blurred by perceptions like these, Q4Q’s is a fund raising event and offers any rider a really awesome opportunity to travel the country with hundreds of fellow riders, memories are made and stories will last a lifetime, from our side we were proud to be associated with this event not only for the worthy cause but also for the disabled riders who battled through.

I welcome any form of constructive criticism as it highlights areas of improvement so please email me at info@radmoto.co.za and I will address it, as far as Q4Q’s is concerned I'm sure that there are 1000 stories both good and bad and I would like to hear them all.

Thanks again for attending the event and for contributing to Q4Q’s.

Regards

Dave Griffin

100% or nothing at all

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 02:20:10 pm »

Hey Blazes..... R50 bucks is a bargain! I'll have six Zamaleks, whilst I wait for you to change my tubes  :pot: :lol8:

Hi TT

By the time i have done the tube --tyre repair  you will only be on your second one -- have you forgotten how quick i do it  ::)
Current Scooters --

Offline badseed

• Ride the adventure
  • KTM 990S, KTM690R , Vespa 200GT
    • www.wildwood.capetown
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 02:23:57 pm »
Good to hear both sides of the story. And great form to reply in such a professional manner.If I was in GP I would be willing to support them just for that attitude.
Owner WildWood Motorcycle Tours South Africa

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 02:29:53 pm »
Good to hear both sides of the story. And great form to reply in such a professional manner.If I was in GP I would be willing to support them just for that attitude.

no no no ....its better when we crucify them without knowing the facts ....
Africa ain't for sissies hey.

Offline XTZFegen

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 02:49:11 pm »
A group of us did the quads 4 quads up run.

RAD had a service tent, so when one guy on a 990 had a flat front wheel he took the bike to them to fix.

Cost R800
Tube R 350
Slime R 100 (why????????)
Labour R 350  :o

Stupid Q: Why did he ask someoen else to fix a puncture?
Or was there more wrong with the front end than just a puncture?

If it was just a puncture then I cant understand why guys who cant do things for themsleves (or are just to lazy to learn) are the first to b*tch and moan when someone takes advantage of them? You can learn to repair punctures on your bike in 1 hour???

Stop been lazy, pay the R350 for the tube, pull your sleeves up and fix your own stuffing bike.

Oh and I know the guy who owns RAD personally - he is a businessman yes, but also a hell of a nice guy and a real biker.

These KTM oaks - ride R100k+ bike and cant fix a puncture  :imaposer:  :imaposer:  "My daddy's not here to hold my hand boo hoo". Or perhaps its "I ride a KTM - therefore I dont need to change tyres"

I dont know...maybe its just me...after all Im Irish decent. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 02:59:57 pm by KLR650Fegen »
I do all my own stunts.

Offline SuperDavexlv750r

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • My business
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 02:57:08 pm »

But if you look like your profile - what do you expect man? :imaposer: :imaposer:
If you don't wings - you will never fly!

Honda XLV 750 R, Suzuki DR 650 R, Honda CBR1100xx (Blackbird), Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin