Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: RAD - Rip off or providing a service?  (Read 9147 times)

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Niks ry so lekker soos my rice crispy bike nie.
Re: RAD - Rip off or providing a service?
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2012, 03:41:44 pm »
Simple really

Either learn to fix a flat yourself, or pay the price the okes are asking. Thats the nature of allthings - from dstv dish repairs, to plumbing, to farking doctors.

Now cry me a river, grow a pair of balls - and go tell your mommy....bloody dutchmen ;)

Not quite correct, there are lots of services delivered that charges REASONABLE prices, from DSTV dish repairs, to plumbing, to farking doctors. I lost 2 tyres on a double-axle trailer once at LeeuGamka, and the guys there charged me an amount equal to just more than the CT value of 4 tyres. DOUBLE. Why? Because I was in shit and the situation was exploited. Of course I had to pay, but would I ever have a good word for this guy? No.
Was Radworks hoping to recoup their ad money from the poor charity riders' punctures? Fools, there are the interweb.
I really don’t understand the whiners on this thread!!
This is a simple case of business mathematics and those of you out there that are business owners will understand this!!...
1.   R100 cost and R80 of sales = Loss = no livelihood = NO business!
2.   R100 cost and R100 of sales = no Profit = no livelihood = NO business!
Its that simple! In addition to this is another equally simple concept that will be understood by business owners and that is the concept of “supply and demand”!
Even the most “reputable” companies in the world apply this concept to their pricing. For the whiners out there that don’t understand, then let me explain…
If youre stuck in the desert with nothing to drink and you come across a coca cola stand, be prepared to pay over the top for the product. This doesn’t mean you will never drink a coke again and nor does it make CC a bad company, just one that understands the forces of supply and demand.  There isn’t a company in the world that doesn’t operate this way, its just business!
Insofar as RAD was concerned, don’t lose sight of the fact that they are:
1.   A business (duh!!)
2.   They incurred substantial costs to be at the event (volunteered or otherwise) which include transport, fuel, labour, after hours labour, loss of profits at their primary workshop etc,
3.   They were the only coca cola stand in the desert, and
4.   Nobody was FORCED to use their products and services.
In order to recover these costs AND make a profit, they charged what they did and even so, those in this industry will agree that it was doubtful that they walked away from the event profitably when the entirety of the cost spectrum is considered. To expect them to break even or make a loss as some would suggest they should have done, is naïve and childish coming from adults.
Lastly, I don’t know how many on this thread are actually in the bike industry or are just riders but those that are IN the industry will tell you that the business of motorcycles is MUCH MORE a product of passion than it is profit. To the extent that it supplies a livelihood, then that’s great, and if it is profitable beyond the livelihood, then that’s a bonus! Those out there that think that RAD or any other bike business are exploiting motorcycle riders should try their hand at “the business” of motorcycles and thereafter add their two cents worth.
This is not to say that there aren’t unscrupulous people, dealers or businesses out there, to believe that would be equally naïve but knowing the guys at RAD personally, their business mentality is not a short term “screw the public for the buck today and worry about the consequences tomorrow” outlook, so perhaps go and have coffee with Dave Griffin and draw your own conclusions rather than being swayed by the childish rants of those that have no idea what it means to be in business in these volatile times, never mind a bike business.

I thin this needs to be analysed correctly. RAD's costs are beside the point. My understanding is that they were asked to provide a back up service. Nowhere have I seen that this was a charitable service. It seems the organisers wanted people who knew their way around a bike to be on hand to help people who had a problem. It seems the other workshops have got fed up with this kind of backstabbing from the people they tried to help.

In real terms checking the WOA site they charge R320 for a heavy duty tube. The type of tube has not been mentioned but if I was providing back up for this type of event I would only have heavy duty tubes in stock. R350 at this stage looks entirely reasonable.

In terms of the slime it is more difficult as there are no internet prices that I can find. I paid R124 in a co-op at Thabazimbi recently. No more punctures would charge you R500 for both tyres plus a R100 call out charge. Based on that R100 for slime is also reasonable.

The real fight is around R350 to fix a tyre. Now you are in the bush and the only competent person is a qualified mechanic. R350 for a mechanic is a cheap hourly rate whether or not you want to believe it. The justification for a full hour charge is up for debate but that is up to you and the service provider. All in all it is up to you to speak up for yourself at the time and negotiate the best deal.  Maybe next time they should take their tyre staff along so they can charge less for this service, but then can they justify the expense.

In terms of Amageze I doubt you would have got the tubes for free. It is highly likely that KTM Cape Town had an agreement to provide the labour free. From what I have read here RAD did not have that agreement. They had been asked to help out and provide a service.

On a more personal note. I had decided to give RAD a try after moaning about them on this forum. My bike needed a new chain and sprockets as I wanted to go on a ride that weekend I wanted it done quickly - i.e. either Thursday or Friday. They could not help me as half their workshop was helping at Q4Q. I found a friend bought the spares from a helpful RAD spares desk and set about learning how to change my own chain and sprocket on the Friday. They phoned me Friday morning and let me know they had managed to find a gap -  by then I was sorted.

I appreciated the follow up to say they could help. I was also personally impacted by their decision to help out at Q4Q.

In my business if I have top technician available and you are in a hurry then you have to pay his rate. If not wait and you can have one of my cheaper technicians. Also as a representative a quality German brand I can suggest short cuts that can help you remain in production but my contract does not allow me to take them myself. The risk of hurting the brand and ending up in a messy fight about consequential damage is too high.

It would be a very foolish agent/supplier who would risk modifying your fuel filter so you could finish. If dirt had then got past the paper filter and damaged the fuel pump your post here would have been far more vitriolic.

It all boils down to one thing. "In life there is no such thing as a free lunch."

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 03:43:02 pm by Grrrr.... »

Offline Beserker

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2012, 03:49:30 pm »
Why? Because I was in shit and the situation was exploited. Of course I had to pay, but would I ever have a good word for this guy? No.
Was Radworks hoping to recoup their ad money from the poor charity riders' punctures? Fools, there are the interweb.

Maybe it just costs a lot to get the tyres to LeeuGamka? Like it is expensive to sent a service van out to a charity event in the middle of nowhere...

Go check your maps on the "interweb"...it's called GoogleMaps...better yet, GoogleEarth, as it's quite a wide world.

@KaTooMatt, very good post, but RAD's costs, I would imagine, should be part of the equation...it is frigging expensive extending your workshop like that, and from a consumers perspective, cheap as opposed to having your whole ride spoilt by a flat, and recovering from that.
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #102 on: October 16, 2012, 06:15:36 pm »
To get tyres to Leeugamka, Dave, would be that expensive if you roll them along the N1 by hand. But this is not how deliveries work.
Is it perhaps RadecoBM?

Offline Pullaway

• Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2012, 09:16:41 pm »
Stop wingeing!  This thread sound like Julius Malema, Zwelinzima Vavi, Blade Nzimande or Tony Ehreneich started posting here - fukkin commies! No reason to crucify RAD for making a profit, its supply and demand! They don't owe anyone any favours, so fix it it youself , pay, or take a lift (lift your feet and walk)!
It's better to burn out than to fade away!

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2012, 09:19:39 pm »
Simple really

Either learn to fix a flat yourself, or pay the price the okes are asking. Thats the nature of allthings - from dstv dish repairs, to plumbing, to farking doctors.

Now cry me a river, grow a pair of balls - and go tell your mommy....bloody dutchmen ;)

Not quite correct, there are lots of services delivered that charges REASONABLE prices, from DSTV dish repairs, to plumbing, to farking doctors. I lost 2 tyres on a double-axle trailer once at LeeuGamka, and the guys there charged me an amount equal to just more than the CT value of 4 tyres. DOUBLE. Why? Because I was in shit and the situation was exploited. Of course I had to pay, but would I ever have a good word for this guy? No.
This is a simple case of business mathematics and those of you out there that are business owners will understand this!!...
1.   R100 cost and R80 of sales = Loss = no livelihood = NO business!
2.   R100 cost and R100 of sales = no Profit = no livelihood = NO business!
Its that simple! In addition to this is another equally simple concept that will be understood by business owners and that is the concept of “supply and demand”!
Even the most “reputable” companies in the world apply this concept to their pricing. For the whiners out there that don’t understand, then let me explain…
If youre stuck in the desert with nothing to drink and you come across a coca cola stand, be prepared to pay over the top for the product. This doesn’t mean you will never drink a coke again and nor does it make CC a bad company, just one that understands the forces of supply and demand.  There isn’t a company in the world that doesn’t operate this way, its just business!
Insofar as RAD was concerned, don’t lose sight of the fact that they are:
1.   A business (duh!!)
2.   They incurred substantial costs to be at the event (volunteered or otherwise) which include transport, fuel, labour, after hours labour, loss of profits at their primary workshop etc,
3.   They were the only coca cola stand in the desert, and
4.   Nobody was FORCED to use their products and services.
In order to recover these costs AND make a profit, they charged what they did and even so, those in this industry will agree that it was doubtful that they walked away from the event profitably when the entirety of the cost spectrum is considered. To expect them to break even or make a loss as some would suggest they should have done, is naïve and childish coming from adults.
Lastly, I don’t know how many on this thread are actually in the bike industry or are just riders but those that are IN the industry will tell you that the business of motorcycles is MUCH MORE a product of passion than it is profit. To the extent that it supplies a livelihood, then that’s great, and if it is profitable beyond the livelihood, then that’s a bonus! Those out there that think that RAD or any other bike business are exploiting motorcycle riders should try their hand at “the business” of motorcycles and thereafter add their two cents worth.
This is not to say that there aren’t unscrupulous people, dealers or businesses out there, to believe that would be equally naïve but knowing the guys at RAD personally, their business mentality is not a short term “screw the public for the buck today and worry about the consequences tomorrow” outlook, so perhaps go and have coffee with Dave Griffin and draw your own conclusions rather than being swayed by the childish rants of those that have no idea what it means to be in business in these volatile times, never mind a bike business.

I went to my car today and it would not start.. I thought it was the battery, so I push started the car and headed for Battery Centre in N1 City, lekker. So I tell the oke there what is happening to the car and ask for a price to fix.. new battery R1480  :o. as you would call it supply and demand. I need one now, I cant areally drive around to find other places as I don't feel like pushing my car all day. No internet on the phone so I can't shop around per se.

But here is the thing that those in business dont understand, for those that don't understand I will try to explain it.

I don't like being ripped off by a company, so I call my assistant and ask her to phone around for me.. Battery Centre Montague Gardens, same brand, same size.. R961.00.

A R519 difference, in a competitive market, 2 companies, same brand, same capital outlay, same market forces.

here is something business owners should understand, rip off a customer and they wont come back..

it ended up not even being the battery, this is now awesome they were, it ended up being the starter motor which they took much glee in quoting me R2000 to replace. I went to M&E auto who put in a new one for just over half that price.

Call it market forces, call it supply and demand, call it what you want, for business owner and non businessowners alike, if you take advantage of the situation you take a chance with how customers see your company

In a way you may understand it, you may drink coke again, but you will never drink coke in the dessert ever again.

I am in a very  competitive business, yet there are okes who charge double what I charge, I don't mind, but I laugh when customers come to me and see that for the last year they have been overpaying all that time. everyone has a choice, some people on here will support a company who charge R800 to change a tube, others won't, that is the strategy the supplying company takes.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 09:24:47 pm by Fuzzy Muzzy »
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2012, 09:26:18 pm »
Good one Muz.

Offline Pullaway

« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2012, 09:28:33 pm »
Location, location and location - the three rules of business that allow you to charge whatever you want!

Offline fixit

« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2012, 09:35:49 pm »
Quote"
1.   R100 cost and R80 of sales = Loss = no livelihood = NO business!
2.   R100 cost and R100 of sales = no Profit = no livelihood = NO business!
3.   R100 cost and R200 of sales = Good profit = sustainable business with many customers.
4.   R100 cost and R800 of sale  = Excellent profit = few customers = unsustainable business.

Isn't that maybe why you find it so difficult in the bike business?

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #108 on: October 16, 2012, 09:57:29 pm »
I went to my car today and it would not start.. I thought it was the battery, so I push started the car and headed for Battery Centre in N1 City, lekker. So I tell the oke there what is happening to the car and ask for a price to fix.. new battery R1480  . as you would call it supply and demand. I need one now, I cant areally drive around to find other places as I don't feel like pushing my car all day. No internet on the phone so I can't shop around per se.

But here is the thing that those in business dont understand, for those that don't understand I will try to explain it.

I don't like being ripped off by a company, so I call my assistant and ask her to phone around for me.. Battery Centre Montague Gardens, same brand, same size.. R961.00.

A R519 difference, in a competitive market, 2 companies, same brand, same capital outlay, same market forces.

here is something business owners should understand, rip off a customer and they wont come back..

it ended up not even being the battery, this is now awesome they were, it ended up being the starter motor which they took much glee in quoting me R2000 to replace. I went to M&E auto who put in a new one for just over half that price.

Call it market forces, call it supply and demand, call it what you want, for business owner and non businessowners alike, if you take advantage of the situation you take a chance with how customers see your company

In a way you may understand it, you may drink coke again, but you will never drink coke in the dessert ever again.

I run a business so let me give you a few thoughts in reply  :biggrin:

Firstly the aim of every industry is to increase its profits. If the industry as a whole cant do that it stands a good chance of failing in total.  Every business needs to be able to pay good salaries, to attract and keep good staff, pay its suppliers on time, build up cash for investments etc etc.  No business can survive on a few percent margin unless they have massive volumes.

Now in every industry there is ALWAYS somebody that is more desperate that the rest and who is consequently willing to reduce prices even below average costs in severe cases, in order to get some cash, any cash, in to keep the wolf from the door.

Now the problem all business owners have in that industry is how not to be dragged down to that level by market forces because that is the path to ruin!

The bottom line is if you end up competing on price alone and you dont have any other competitive advantages then you are doomed.

So in your case you bought a cheaper battery from somewhere else.  Now I bet if you phone around in 6 months time, for the same battery I bet you the same place wont be cheapest again, some other place will be, and I will also place odds on the cheap place maybe not existing anymore.  Thats all fine for you as a consumer, but answer this, would you like to be an employee in that industry?  And if all the battery places fold because consumers wont pay a decent margin, who will you eventually buy a battery from?

My conclusion - selling a commodity (like a battery) is mugs game unless you have some significant competitive advantage like massive buying power, so you can buy THOUSANDS of batteries at a time and thereby get good prices, far better than your competitors and thus maintain sustainable margins that will keep the business going.  Very few small businesses can do that.

Conversely if you are a consumer and you don't buy from a small business just because of a few rand in price difference, don't expect to see them afloat for very long and thus be prepared to have to deal with the big guys after that!  That may or not be a bad thing - but just realise thats the reality.  Also realise the "big guy" may be an internet shop in China or something who doesn't give two hoots about your after sale support requirements.
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline Pullaway

« Reply #109 on: October 16, 2012, 10:12:46 pm »
I agree alanB, I would like to see the wingeing when the WD's have to start dealing with call centres for their problems! :imaposer:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 10:28:38 pm by Pullaway »

Offline KtmMick

« Reply #110 on: October 16, 2012, 10:22:46 pm »
I think the last comment but one comment has got it right......you cannot really say that the guy charging 500 Rand more was necessarilly doing anything wrong.
You don't know his cost for the battery, you don't know his staff levels and costs........his overheads!

I run a business, I know my costs and give my Customers a good price but always say when they say  "Ah but so and so quoted me half that price" well pay half the price and get half a job.......many times you get a call to fix it!

At the end of the day my opinion is thus..........you have a choice! no one made you go.......no one planned for you! If you do another you should think to yourself have I serviced my bike, does it need a new filter?  No..well I will buy one and take just in case, I will use it sometime if not now.
Oh I am going off road......maybe I will get a puncture.....take a tube, pump and levers. :peepwall:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 10:23:48 pm by KtmMick »

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2012, 10:38:38 pm »
I went to my car today and it would not start.. I thought it was the battery, so I push started the car and headed for Battery Centre in N1 City, lekker. So I tell the oke there what is happening to the car and ask for a price to fix.. new battery R1480  . as you would call it supply and demand. I need one now, I cant areally drive around to find other places as I don't feel like pushing my car all day. No internet on the phone so I can't shop around per se.

I run a business so let me give you a few thoughts in reply  :biggrin:

Firstly the aim of every industry is to increase its profits. If the industry as a whole cant do that it stands a good chance of failing in total.  Every business needs to be able to pay good salaries, to attract and keep good staff, pay its suppliers on time, build up cash for investments etc etc.  No business can survive on a few percent margin unless they have massive volumes. I agree to a point

Now in every industry there is ALWAYS somebody that is more desperate that the rest and who is consequently willing to reduce prices even below average costs in severe cases, in order to get some cash, any cash, in to keep the wolf from the door. In many cases you can see it as desperation but in some cases it is just good business to reduce prices to force competitors out of the market and gain market share

Now the problem all business owners have in that industry is how not to be dragged down to that level by market forces because that is the path to ruin! It is not a problem, there are 100's of ways of achieving this from product development, affective marketing, social media to webistes I can go on for a long time, the problem many business owners have is that they keep on doing the same thing and expect to survive, when the competition comes along with better sourcing abilities, better distribution, better staff, better premises, better service.. they sit with their hands in their heads. The okes in the motorcycle industry who are kakking off dont advertise, have zero social media platform to speak of, have generally far too little working capital , don't have any form of customer retention policy etc, many of them go on reputation and word of mouth and hope for the best.

The bottom line is if you end up competing on price alone and you dont have any other competitive advantages then you are doomed. if you end up competing on any single business principle you can say the same thing, agreed

So in your case you bought a cheaper battery from somewhere else.  Now I bet if you phone around in 6 months time, for the same battery I bet you the same place wont be cheapest again, some other place will be, and I will also place odds on the cheap place maybe not existing anymore.  Thats all fine for you as a consumer, but answer this, would you like to be an employee in that industry? every industry is competitive, even the dog grooming industry, people phone around, if you are expensive you had better be good, but this does not apply when just buying goods, only services  And if all the battery places fold because consumers wont pay a decent margin, who will you eventually buy a battery from? :imaposer: I don't think market forces will allow every battery place to go out of business

My conclusion - selling a commodity (like a battery) is mugs game unless you have some significant competitive advantage like massive buying power, so you can buy THOUSANDS of batteries at a time and thereby get good prices, far better than your competitors and thus maintain sustainable margins that will keep the business going.  Very few small businesses can do that. hence why Massmart is being bit hard for biringing in Chinese batteries at half the price.. good for them, sorry for everyone else.http://www.massmart.co.za/pdf/2012/Cape_Argus_Makro_300812.pdf 

Conversely if you are a consumer and you don't buy from a small business just because of a few rand in price difference, over R500 more on a R1000 item is not a few rand more  ??? don't expect to see them afloat for very long and thus be prepared to have to deal with the big guys after that!  That may or not be a bad thing - but just realise thats the reality.  Also realise the "big guy" may be an internet shop in China or something who doesn't give two hoots about your after sale support requirements.

Nice debating with you  :thumleft:
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #112 on: October 17, 2012, 12:23:06 am »
I went to my car today and it would not start.. I thought it was the battery, so I push started the car and headed for Battery Centre in N1 City, lekker. So I tell the oke there what is happening to the car and ask for a price to fix.. new battery R1480  . as you would call it supply and demand. I need one now, I cant areally drive around to find other places as I don't feel like pushing my car all day. No internet on the phone so I can't shop around per se.

I am in a very  competitive business, yet there are okes who charge double what I charge, I don't mind, but I laugh when customers come to me and see that for the last year they have been overpaying all that time. everyone has a choice, some people on here will support a company who charge R800 to change a tube, others won't, that is the strategy the supplying company takes.

Plse never visit the States - thats how supply and demand work in a capitalistic system. Stop get emotional about it. 'They' are not out to get you. Its not that they are ripping YOU off. People ask different prices for the same article for different reasons. This is not Moscow in the 80s ffs. Shop around and decide like a big boy where to buy from, but more importantly - get a pacifier.. ;)

They are out to get you....

Offline immigrant

« Reply #113 on: October 17, 2012, 04:25:36 am »
i would like to see what happens the next time any of us are in an accident, and the paramedic/or doctor says "Give me R20,000 cash before i help you. If you are not happy with that, sew your own arm back on. Is that not "supply and demand". The doctor incurred great costs to become a doctor, he needs an office and staff and expensive equipment. He needs to run his business just like any other. So pay the cash now, and fight with your medical aid later.

Or if the dentist tells you it will cost you R10,000 for a filling. will you pay that, or will you go to another "cheaper" dentist
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 05:20:53 am by immigrant »
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline RAD

« Reply #114 on: October 17, 2012, 06:45:37 am »
Regardless of what side of the fence you stand, we find the feedback valuable.
Thank you for all of the comments. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 09:20:16 am by RAD »
If its a KTM or a Husaberg, we have it.

Offline J-dog

• Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #115 on: October 17, 2012, 07:15:42 am »
A DS biker who can't fix a puncture is like a males porn star who can't fix his own purple vibrating dildo with little dimples on it.

Next time the event organizers can pay RAD to be there, and you can ALL pay the extra entry fees  :patch:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• Castrated Dog
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #116 on: October 17, 2012, 07:36:00 am »
Simple, what RAD practised is called rampant capitalism. The reason for the ever-growing divide.
Kilroy, what is your opinion of a deadly ill person being shown away from a private hospital because he/she does not have the funds? This is where RADWORKS' exploitative mannerism is taking us.

Offline J-dog

• Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #117 on: October 17, 2012, 07:37:19 am »
Simple, what RAD practised is called rampant capitalism. The reason for the ever-growing divide.
Kilroy, what is your opinion of a deadly ill person being shown away from a private hospital because he/she does not have the funds? This is where RADWORKS' exploitative mannerism is taking us.

Same as an oke being told by the dealer he can't have a new bike for free

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2012, 07:41:33 am »
i would like to see what happens the next time any of us are in an accident, and the paramedic/or doctor says "Give me R20,000 cash before i help you. If you are not happy with that, sew your own arm back on. Is that not "supply and demand". The doctor incurred great costs to become a doctor, he needs an office and staff and expensive equipment. He needs to run his business just like any other. So pay the cash now, and fight with your medical aid later.

Or if the dentist tells you it will cost you R10,000 for a filling. will you pay that, or will you go to another "cheaper" dentist

Thats happening - if you dont have private health care the ship you to a state hospital. Why must they help you if you dont pay for private health are. Public health care is 'free'.  Bad example.

Private hospitals are obliged to stablise/save public patients, then move them to state hospitals. What is your thinking about people rather choosing to buy a boat than to buy private health care? Why must you get something for free. Are you supporting a hand-out model. Do you want a society of 'we demand's'? You get what you pay for.

Garfield

« Reply #119 on: October 17, 2012, 07:43:42 am »

Last year with my accident, I had to prove to EMS that I have funds, either medical aid or credit card, before they took me to a private hospital, without that, they would have dropped me off at the nearest government hospital.
Remember, at that point all they knew was that I was stable and on a backboard, they had no idea of the extent of my injuries.
This year, I took a friend with a ruptured aorta to a private hospital (according to his doctor 1% of people survive a ruptured aorta, so I guess that qualifies as 'deadly ill'?) and the same thing, prove that you have medical aid or drop your credit card, thank you very much.

Try again.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 07:45:42 am by Garfield »