Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: RAD - Rip off or providing a service?  (Read 9110 times)

Offline Stoetbul

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • I is Stoetie
Re: RAD - Rip off or providing a service?
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2012, 07:07:48 pm »
From what i can tell

RAD was there to help riders with simple problems , wich they did , sure it was a charity event but in the same breath you cant expect them to loose that amunt of money i would love to see where you can get a tube , slim and fitment for R80 hmmm i wana go shop there

and guys come on cut the guys some slak they worked hard and late into the night , as for the filter problem on the 990 i think it was the right thing to do not to do a quick fix , because if somthing worse happen to the bike later on in the ride would they have been blamed for that also ( since you worked on my bike......)

i have delt with RAD many times and they really do try there best and go the extra mile for there clients myslef included , love that shop and there coffee  :sip:

Rad agent? :pot:

No2SD there is another possibility, perhaps he has been lurking for years on the forum, but reading this he finally felt he should register and break the silence.  I mean how much injustice can you handle, even when you are not involved at all.  Just look how much money this poor dealer has lost and how hard the mechanics worked into the night.
HAGAR, doen my 'n guns asb? Kom BREEDE BASH toe. Verkieslik sonder tubes en repair kit, dan doen ek jou 'n guns en koop die 1ste 12 biere vir ons. Dan raak ons mildelik aangeklam en try mekaar se tires oorsit van jou bike na myne en die wenner hoef nie verder te betaal nie?  :peepwall: :biggrin:

Offline dassie

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • live life extremely
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2012, 08:32:58 pm »
 :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: hierrie thread is moer snaaks
uhhh yes doctor, i know im adicted.....

Offline Glenn Foley

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2012, 12:39:41 pm »
K - i had a look through all of this, i can't comment on the prices or on the alleged comments passed - but it always amazes me how people are so quick to get onto a public forum and slate menses.
Would it not be better, maybe to contact the relevant dealer principle or shop owner with your concerns before you rip into them and EVERYONE jumps on the bandwagon?

The Guys from RAD volunteered to come along on the trip to help with the workshop function. They (We) stipulated that they would be there to help where they could - and I have lots of people who are happy with the work that they did. The two chaps who came to swing spanners worked late most nights, seemed very pleasant and more than willing to help wherever they could. As far as pricing - it would have probably been better to query with the dealership upon your return - and i'm pretty sure that they would have seen you right.

Guys - we had a huge workshop last year - and the year before - but they cancelled because of this kind of thing - and the manner in which people spoke to them when they could not help.
I do understand the pricing concerns and I also understand how frustrating it can be when you need something fixed and it cannot be done, but there are better ways than this to deal with it. To the blokes who came along - we say thank you it is a monster job. As for the charity comments and doing stuff for free - well RAD has nothing to do with the fundraising effort and they are quite entitled to ask a fee for the work done. on the charity note - this event has raised a million bucks for QASA this year - thanks to everyone who came along.
But despite all of this - I hope that the guys who came along had a great time. full story in the next issue of Dirt and trail Magazine.

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2012, 03:24:42 pm »
I had a great ride but am thinking of doing it on my KLR next year - that plastic seat was damn hard!
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Hagar

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2012, 10:14:11 pm »
From what i can tell

RAD was there to help riders with simple problems , wich they did , sure it was a charity event but in the same breath you cant expect them to loose that amunt of money i would love to see where you can get a tube , slim and fitment for R80 hmmm i wana go shop there

and guys come on cut the guys some slak they worked hard and late into the night , as for the filter problem on the 990 i think it was the right thing to do not to do a quick fix , because if somthing worse happen to the bike later on in the ride would they have been blamed for that also ( since you worked on my bike......)

i have delt with RAD many times and they really do try there best and go the extra mile for there clients myslef included , love that shop and there coffee  :sip:

No2SD there is another possibility, perhaps he has been lurking for years on the forum, but reading this he finally felt he should register and break the silence.  I mean how much injustice can you handle, even when you are not involved at all.  Just look how much money this poor dealer has lost and how hard the mechanics worked into the night.
HAGAR, doen my 'n guns asb? Kom BREEDE BASH toe. Verkieslik sonder tubes en repair kit, dan doen ek jou 'n guns en koop die 1ste 12 biere vir ons. Dan raak ons mildelik aangeklam en try mekaar se tires oorsit van jou bike na myne en die wenner hoef nie verder te betaal nie?  :peepwall: :biggrin:

Hoe bedoel meneer dan nou? My cheap chinese 17" DR rear tire op jou 18" KTM, sonder tyre levers..of gaan ons nie worry nie.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2012, 11:12:21 pm »
K - i had a look through all of this, i can't comment on the prices or on the alleged comments passed - but it always amazes me how people are so quick to get onto a public forum and slate menses.
Would it not be better, maybe to contact the relevant dealer principle or shop owner with your concerns before you rip into them and EVERYONE jumps on the bandwagon?

The Guys from RAD volunteered to come along on the trip to help with the workshop function. They (We) stipulated that they would be there to help where they could - and I have lots of people who are happy with the work that they did. The two chaps who came to swing spanners worked late most nights, seemed very pleasant and more than willing to help wherever they could. As far as pricing - it would have probably been better to query with the dealership upon your return - and i'm pretty sure that they would have seen you right.

Guys - we had a huge workshop last year - and the year before - but they cancelled because of this kind of thing - and the manner in which people spoke to them when they could not help.
I do understand the pricing concerns and I also understand how frustrating it can be when you need something fixed and it cannot be done, but there are better ways than this to deal with it. To the blokes who came along - we say thank you it is a monster job. As for the charity comments and doing stuff for free - well RAD has nothing to do with the fundraising effort and they are quite entitled to ask a fee for the work done. on the charity note - this event has raised a million bucks for QASA this year - thanks to everyone who came along.
But despite all of this - I hope that the guys who came along had a great time. full story in the next issue of Dirt and trail Magazine.

You mean "entitled to ask a FEE"? A fee it was not.

Offline Stoetbul

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • I is Stoetie
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2012, 10:05:11 am »
From what i can tell

Hoe bedoel meneer dan nou? My cheap chinese 17" DR rear tire op jou 18" KTM, sonder tyre levers..of gaan ons nie worry nie.
Ag wat, ek dink ons drink sommer maar net! :biggrin: :3some:

Offline RMN

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2012, 11:19:08 am »

You mean "entitled to ask a FEE"? A fee it was not.

Guys, the alternatives are:
1. RAD or A.N.Other workshop goes out and does this work and charges for the labour and parts. They are not part of the charity and are there as a business to assist the riders. Equally, nobody is forced to use their services regardless of what they want to charge, or
2. NO workshop is willing to go out there because of this sort of slanderous bullshit post the event by a small minority of uptight whiners, in which case everybody is worse off!!

Lets get some perspective guys and appreciatte that there are still businesses out there that will dilute their labour force (and consequential profit) from their primary workshops in order to assist events like these which are marginal (if at all) in return. They are logistically difficult to get to, have the right spares on hand and supply labour that is willing to work late into the night so lets stop the bitching like old woman!!

Next year when NO workshop arrives because of the reputational damage that slanderous threads like this cause, will that be a better result for the greater good of the event? Me thinks not!!
Cape to Cairo...and Beyond - www.capetocairo2010.co.za

2012 KTM 990 Adventure R
2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 BMW GS1200 Adventure 30 Year Edition 2010 Yamaha 660 Tenere 2008 Yamaha 660 Grizzly  1982 Honda CB1100RC

Offline Beserker

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2012, 02:24:01 pm »
Next year when NO workshop arrives because of the reputational damage that slanderous threads like this cause, will that be a better result for the greater good of the event? Me thinks not!!

+1

R350 is cheap, after you have spent a couple of Rk entering, getting there etc,  and can't ride 'cos your wheel has gone pop.
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline badseed

• Ride the adventure
  • KTM 990S, KTM690R , Vespa 200GT
    • www.wildwood.capetown
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2012, 02:41:05 pm »
Have a go at calculating what it cost to set up for the event.

1) transport to and from event ( cost of vehicles, fuel, lighting , etc ) . My guess thousands?.
2) wages for staff + overtime
3) cost charge by the charity to be there to help us ( lots of thousands)
4) diluting their workforce and risking kak service in their shop.
5) unrested staff the next week and the resulting absenteeism and morale issues that follow.

On top of this their reason to trade is not to give you stuff for nothing , but to make a profit for themselves and to pay good wages to their staff who would also one day like to afford a the big toys you chaps ride and all the gadgets that go with them.

At a wild guess it probably cost about R30K to be there. They have to fix a shit load of punctures to make that back , especially at the rate you expect them to work at.  + don't forget the profit incentive. If you earn R30k a month that's about R1500 a day. I hope you don't begrudge the workers the same.

Now go ride your R159000,00 bike and learn to fix a puncture
Owner WildWood Motorcycle Tours South Africa

Offline KoToM

« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2012, 02:43:23 pm »
Have a go at calculating what it cost to set up for the event.

1) transport to and from event ( cost of vehicles, fuel, lighting , etc ) . My guess thousands?.
2) wages for staff + overtime
3) cost charge by the charity to be there to help us ( lots of thousands)
4) diluting their workforce and risking kak service in their shop.
5) unrested staff the next week and the resulting absenteeism and morale issues that follow.

On top of this their reason to trade is not to give you stuff for nothing , but to make a profit for themselves and to pay good wages to their staff who would also one day like to afford a the big toys you chaps ride and all the gadgets that go with them.

At a wild guess it probably cost about R30K to be there. They have to fix a shit load of punctures to make that back , especially at the rate you expect them to work at.  + don't forget the profit incentive. If you earn R30k a month that's about R1500 a day. I hope you don't begrudge the workers the same.

Now go ride your R159000,00 bike and learn to fix a puncture

stem  :thumleft:
KTM 300 Six Days                      : My secretary, Hard working and does anything i tell her to do
KTM 690 Enduro Adventure Rally : My mistress, Best ride by far
KTM 990 Adventure                    : My wife, Bit boring sometimes but still love her to bits
Jeep Rubicon Unlimited               : For when it hails :(

Offline fixit

« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2012, 02:48:23 pm »
I keep seeing the word "vollenteering" and "assist" etc.... there is no such thing in business.

Face it, they were there to make money. To prey on the weak.

R350 is rediculous if you are there to support the guys riding.

Offline KoToM

« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2012, 03:01:29 pm »
To prey on the weak.

the weak need to man the fark up and learn how to fix punctures instead of whining about it when they have to pay for their laziness  
KTM 300 Six Days                      : My secretary, Hard working and does anything i tell her to do
KTM 990 Adventure                    : My wife, Bit boring sometimes but still love her to bits

Offline Herminator

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Never Go Full Retard
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2012, 03:05:48 pm »
No good deed shall go unpunished - Oscar Wilde
It catches my dreams when I ride it.

Offline KoToM

« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2012, 03:08:12 pm »
No good deed shall go unpunished - Oscar Wilde

diep :sip: ma waar :thumleft:

Offline RMN

« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2012, 03:14:23 pm »
I keep seeing the word "vollenteering" and "assist" etc.... there is no such thing in business.

R350 is rediculous if you are there to support the guys riding.

If the definition of being in business, where the primary objective is to make money, is considered "preying on the weak", then so be it, however, that being the case, then the world and the economic system we all participate in is "ridiculous"!

Nowhere does it state that RAD was there to supply charity and even if they were, the riders do not represent the charity so why should they be the beneficiaries of RAD's loss? To build on Badseeds comments above, R350 to recover the costs of simply being at an event like this is a pittance, and more so for the convenience of trackside service when you ride a R160k machine and have a hangover!

Seriously, although I am all for freedom of speech etc, the mindless whiners on threads like these are the reason that motorcycle shops in SA will avoid these events in the future.

You got a problem, pick the phone up and have a moan to the DP directly, not only will you get far more mileage, you also wont have a negative impact on the ongoing provision of necessary services at events like these.
Cape to Cairo...and Beyond - www.capetocairo2010.co.za

2012 KTM 990 Adventure R
2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 BMW GS1200 Adventure 30 Year Edition 2010 Yamaha 660 Tenere 2008 Yamaha 660 Grizzly  1982 Honda CB1100RC

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2012, 03:55:13 pm »
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo WHAT can i charge for ALL the puntures i fix when i take peeps on rides -------- :peepwall:
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline GRIM

« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2012, 04:38:30 pm »
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo WHAT can i charge for ALL the puntures i fix when i take peeps on rides -------- :peepwall:

R350 labour
R350 for the tube
R100 for slime...
 ::)

:peepwall:
Alcohol is essentially nature’s Leatt Brace – with it, you might not be able to move worth sh*t, but you can take a slam or two and be no worse for the wear.

Offline badseed

• Ride the adventure
  • KTM 990S, KTM690R , Vespa 200GT
    • www.wildwood.capetown
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2012, 08:07:01 pm »
Like Macdonalds mission is to feed people and Audi to get people from one pace to another. No stupid to maximize profits.
How many guys make big money out of bike shops?
Answer. None
Owner WildWood Motorcycle Tours South Africa

Garfield

« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2012, 08:17:54 pm »

If you make yourself prey be prepared to become food.

Fok maar mense kan kerm oor kak, veral as hulle onvoorbereid by iets opdaag.