Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Routes - Sedgefield/Wilderness and Natures Valley  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Swart Baard

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
Routes - Sedgefield/Wilderness and Natures Valley
« on: October 10, 2012, 03:05:40 pm »
Hi fellow dogs,

Myself and the misses are planning a trip at the end of October from PE to Sedgefield to spend a weekend with the family at Pine Lake Resort in Sedgefield.

Following the family thingie we will make our way back towards PE but via Nature's Valley for another 2 nights to celebrate our Anniversary  :biggrin:

We will both be on our trusted steeds and I was hoping some of you will be able to share a few nice routes around this area. I dont have mapsource or software for gdb files and must admit I am not usually the route planner or leader  :imaposer: 

I normally bring up the rear and follow the leader  :lol8:

Maybe some of the WC dogs can share a few routes  :ricky:
Mens leef net een keer. Doen dit nou of jy kry dalk nie later kans om dit te doen nie.

Offline King Louis

Re: Routes - Sedgefield/Wilderness and Natures Valley
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 05:30:20 pm »
On that stretch I would throw in the old Blaukrans pass. Officially closed but no problem on a bike, pretty scenic.

Offline Swart Baard

• Race Dog
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 06:54:43 am »
On that stretch I would throw in the old Blaukrans pass. Officially closed but no problem on a bike, pretty scenic.

For sure  :thumleft:

We also thought of doing Blaukranz pass  :ricky: 
Mens leef net een keer. Doen dit nou of jy kry dalk nie later kans om dit te doen nie.

Offline J-dog

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 07:44:09 am »
You should go through the three old passes (NV, BK and the other one) and then somehow head towards the farm road on the right of the freeway (in the direction of PE) Can't remember how you get on to them from that direction, but the road is beautiful and runs through the fields all the way to Humansdorp.

Once in HD, take the tar road towards St, Francis, and turn left onto the dirt road leading to Paradise beach - the turn is about 3km along the St. Francis rd.

Meander through Paradise (stop at the beach for a wee while) over the old causeway, towards J-Bay.

Take the old road from J-bay towards Gamtoos Mouth (pause there for a wee while as well), cross the old bridge, follow the old road down to V.Stadens pass. Stop at the bottom.

Continue up the other side of the pass, turn into the wild flower reserve and wander through there for a wee while. Then head back to PE.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 07:46:01 am by J-dog »

Offline Odd Dog

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 09:09:31 am »
When in Sedgefield riding out on the N2 towards PE take the 1st turn on your left after the robots, about 1km & ride up the hill past the paragliding launch, take the left fork down the hill & you'll come out on the N2 by the garage on the George side, take the N2 towards George & once across the bridge take a right turn(think this is the Pine Lake turnoff) & you have the lakes dirt road through to Wilderniss George, nice & scenic.
If You're going through hell, keep going.

Offline RogerL

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 09:15:38 pm »
Consider the route through the Karoo to George, and home along the coast.

A  nice route is leaving George take "Knysna via the Lakes" on the left and run parallel to the N2 along the mountain.  Couple of roads linking back to the N2.

Offline Skolla

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 11:07:44 am »
Hi Swart Baard,hierdie roete het ek al gery vanaf George na Die Baai,nou van julle af sal dit wees,dit is nou grond en teer,Van Stadens pas,oupad langs na Jeffries,St Francis Bay,daar draai jy weg na,grond, Oysterbay en daarvandaan verder na Storms,ek skat so 30 km teer die laaste stuk na Storms,daarvandaan teer tot by Bloukrans en Grootrivier passe en Natures Valley,teer daarvandaan tot by Plett,net voor die brug draai jy regs,grond, na Knysna,teer, daarvandaan net tot by Brenton se afdraai,grond Phanton pas en daarna al die passe,as jy weil na George of jy kan afdraai na Sedgefield,watter ropete julle ookal vat,geniet dit  :ricky:

Offline Gensetter

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 12:16:37 pm »
Be a bit careful through the Grootrivier and Bloukrans pass, because I spoke to a rider that has been through there lately.
Watch out for moss on the road, you dont want to go off the edge there.
You can turn right at the Karatara turnoff, before sedgefield, it will be on your right as you start to see Groenvlei.
You pass the cheese factory an then you have a choice, the road goes left at a little shop ( Jan sak se winkel ), you can go left there, over hoogekraal, or you can go straight to Barrington and then you can go over Elands rug, I think, there is a drug rehab centre on your right, which you pass, you will get to a T junction, you turn left and you will eventually end up on the hoekwil road
If you choose to go to go left, at the shop, the road will split to the left again, which will take you over Hoogekraal to the Hoekwil road ( Hoogekraal is a little gravel pass with a great view, my brother stays there, at the top on a small holding called Hoogeveldt)
If you carry on straight past the shop, you will get to a T junction, which goes right to Karatara and left through geelhoutvlei ( very pretty little windy road)
If you go left at any of the t Junctions, you end up on the hoekwil road and you will end up, just short of Wilderness, where there is a hotel, it used to be a holiday inn.
You come down a long hill after hoekwil and at the bottom there is a turn off somewhere, to the right where you can take a road that leads you to Wilderness and you drive along the river and eventually end up in wilderness, but if you carry on straight you will end up at the N2.
If you feel brave, turn right at the rehab centre and there is servitude road that ends up, back towards Knysna, on the old bridge, next to the golf course at the Buffalo bay turn off.( It can be very sandy, if the logging trucks have been there )
You go past a peat bog, on your left.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 12:39:36 pm by Gensetter »

Offline Swart Baard

• Race Dog
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 11:00:04 am »
Shot okes  :thumleft:

Now I have a few nice options  :ricky:

Offline RogerL

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 02:21:43 pm »
Just do not stop in Karatara!

Offline Swart Baard

• Race Dog
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 10:10:19 am »

Any particular reason why?

Offline Gensetter

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 09:55:00 am »

Be nice