Zimbabwe Gravel Travel Tour 2012. Epic!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Blip It!

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
After many months of planning and anticipation leading up to the 14th of September the day had final arrived. Having the honours of setting the route and arranging the accommodation I was especially looking forward to the trip! I had spent many months plotting routes on Mapsourse, T4A and Google Earth, having seen the route by satellite, it was time to experience it for real! Also, the trip had a nostalgic side to it too as I was returning to my country of birth and visiting all the places that I had grown up in as a boy.
With four guys planning to travel from the Gauteng region  and 2 of us from Mpumalanga and Limpopo area we made the call to trailer the bikes up to Louis Trichardt where we would all meet, then ride from there. Unfortunately Heine Engelbrecht had to pull out at the last minute due to unforeseen work commitments so this then left just the 5 of us. We were all strangers to each other with the exception of BM and myself, so I was hoping and praying that we would all get along and that the riding skills of each guy would meet the demands of this 10 day trip! The other problem was that only 2 of us were Wilddogs, so I had no reference on any of the riders to go on either!

Let me introduce the guys;

Ed Kelsey (BMW R1200GS) Gauteng, don't judge this toppie by his looks, man can he ride a GS like nobody I have ever seen!

IMG_9725.jpg

Henry Whitcombe (BMW R1200GS Adv.) Gauteng. All round great guy, asks more questions than my wife!

SAM_1480.jpg

Treffon Smith (KTM 990 Adv.) Gauteng. Owner Khwela Adventures, my roomie for the trip and our photographer.

IMG_9628.jpg

BM Van Tonder (KTM 990R Adv.) Phalaborwa, a quiet spoken Engineer who until the trip had only been riding for less than a year.

SAM_1479.jpg

And myself Mark Taylor (KTM 990R Adv.) White River.

IMG_9567.jpg