Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: OilLIBYA Morocco Rally 2012!  (Read 9530 times)

Offline tau

• hasbeen and a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
Re: OilLIBYA Morocco Rally 2012!
« Reply #180 on: October 18, 2012, 05:27:37 pm »
This shows Goncalves's navigational error earlier in the day.

Looks like just about everyone except Despres made a Nav error on that section.

Yip, that is exactly what has happened, including Darryl & Riaan and a buch of the other top 10 riders.  Despres had no such issues and his lines were perfect and so has made up a lot of time on the others.  Just goes to show, its not all about how fast you are in these races, but it has to be a combination of rider skill and navigational skill.

Olivier Pain also made no mistakes today and had a cracking ride. He should be moving up the overall standings after today.

Pain is extremely fast he just needs to keep it together. Him and Goncalves both very fast unfortunately they tend to crash BIG.
2021 Yamaha YZ 450 FX
2021 Yamaha T7 Tenere
1981 Yamaha TT600

Offline GJ

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #181 on: October 18, 2012, 05:42:23 pm »
This shows Goncalves's navigational error earlier in the day.

Looks like just about everyone except Despres made a Nav error on that section.

Yip, that is exactly what has happened, including Darryl & Riaan and a buch of the other top 10 riders.  Despres had no such issues and his lines were perfect and so has made up a lot of time on the others.  Just goes to show, its not all about how fast you are in these races, but it has to be a combination of rider skill and navigational skill.

Olivier Pain also made no mistakes today and had a cracking ride. He should be moving up the overall standings after today.

Pain is extremely fast he just needs to keep it together. Him and Goncalves both very fast unfortunately they tend to crash BIG.
Amper soos jy :mwink:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 05:44:08 pm by GJ »

Offline SteveD

« Reply #182 on: October 18, 2012, 06:00:39 pm »
From Javier Pizzolito :
"It has been a very hard! 50 kms dunes cut, with many unforeseen and to make matters worse .. Sandstorm"

and from Team HRC
"Very disappointing day for Helder Rodrigues with fuel issue that stopped him in SS4 but Felipe Zanol step in with top 3 finish"

Offline SteveD

« Reply #183 on: October 18, 2012, 06:01:41 pm »
And from Darryl:
"Disaster this morning when we got lost  :(, we did an extra 20 kms with Gonzalves and Pedrero, not a great day, sandstorm at the end"

Offline SteveD

« Reply #184 on: October 18, 2012, 08:09:20 pm »
Looks like today took its toll, with quite a few riders out.
Jabobus Potgieter surely has to be a South African, anybody know him?

Jacobus POTGIETER is an architect and CEO of KND Naval Design. He is a fan of
cross-country rallies but, 3 years ago, he had a terrible crash. « I rided a lot of crosscountry
rallies, too many to mention. The last was the Australian Safari 2009 which
ended in a disaster. My BMW 650 Rally broke in two pieces at high speed with result
I ended in hospital. The OiLibya Rally of Morocco will be my first race since».
For his come back, the South-African will come with two friends. « Steve Lovemor is
the eldest of us and the youngest is Mark Du Plessis… the more fiery and faster too.
With the OiLibya Rally of Morocco, we look for adventure and thrill. The aim is to
finish and to have a lot of fun… »
To take a maximum pleasure, Kobus will ride a KTM 690 Rally : « I Still believe that
the KTM 690 Rally is the ultimate machine. This is the first time I will be racing the
KTM 690 and I’m really looking forward to this achievement ».
The OiLibya Rally of Morocco 2012 is like a revival : « For me it’s a roots return.
This painfully experience did not damage my motivation and I think I’m now stronger
than before. I’m still looking for the ultimate adventure. I like to focus on one thing at
a time, and do my best to complete and make a success ». However, there are two
things which may frighten Kobus : « Heights and snakes ! Luckily, in Morocco, there
is not much heights where I will be going but snakes… I still need to find out a bit
more ».
Jacobus will come not only for pleasure. « I’m riding also to spread a message. I
would like to make people aware to the « lack of shoes » in Africa. Twenty millions
children in Africa don’t have shoes. Shoes mean dignity, integrity and future.
Unfortunatly the fund raising part is still lacking from donors. I would love that
maximum people be aware this is a basic need of life that everyone should have the
right... »

Offline SteveD

« Reply #185 on: October 18, 2012, 08:12:40 pm »
Jacobus Potgieter is still in, as is Steve Lovemore  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 08:36:21 pm by SteveD »

Offline SteveD

« Reply #186 on: October 18, 2012, 08:17:32 pm »
A (terribly translated) update from Marc Coma:

"It was a shame because we were doing a good job. The shoulder does not hurt too much, I have stabilized. Yesterday at the hospital put me shoulder Errachidia in place and now we have to wait for the tests I made ​​in Barcelona.
The fall was important, he had a problem with the trip, and did not work well. He was on an off-track with grass-camel, an area somewhat bumpy and twisty. Cyril saw before and decided to try to squeeze a little trap and sail it. After a few curves, crossed a wadi and when they sped, I should find grass-camel and went for ears.
As I said, the drop was significant. I saw immediately that I had hurt. At first there seemed to fractures, but fortunately it seems radiographs indicate that dislocation, so that we can be optimistic that there is nothing broken.
This afternoon we arrived in Barcelona and go straight to the Dexeus Clinic. They spend MRI to see exactly the extent of the injury. I can not say much more. We'll see who can do the tests and the results given to evaluate recovery times. Thank you for caring for my state. "

Offline SteveD

« Reply #187 on: October 18, 2012, 08:22:44 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/feature/player_embedded" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/feature/player_embedded</a>
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 08:38:32 pm by SteveD »

Offline SteveD

« Reply #188 on: October 18, 2012, 08:28:38 pm »
Video about Hélder's debut Rally with Honda Racing corporation, at the Rallye Oilibya du Maroc featuring:
- Administrative and technical verifications day
- 1st Stage (Win)
- 2nd Stage (3rd)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #189 on: October 18, 2012, 10:54:01 pm »
Maybe the terrain is today is taking it's toll.  The pics show what they are into today - Heavy on machinery in the dunes or what.  What do you say Kenesis & BlueBull, does the sand and dunes pose a bigger threat to the bikes endurance, than ordinary or other terrains?

Absolutely it does. You are whacking that engine in high revs all the time and it gets very hot. The clutch takes a hammering too because of all the clutching.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #190 on: October 18, 2012, 10:54:54 pm »
Looks like today took its toll, with quite a few riders out.
Jabobus Potgieter surely has to be a South African, anybody know him?

I also noticed that, but think he was out yesterday already. Dont know the guy but I would sure like to find how where he is based.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline bud500

• RIP dear friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #191 on: October 19, 2012, 09:06:10 am »
Video about Hélder's debut Rally with Honda Racing corporation, at the Rallye Oilibya du Maroc featuring:
- Administrative and technical verifications day
- 1st Stage (Win)
- 2nd Stage (3rd)

Dialed in suspension is a beautiful thing!
Live like someone left the gate open.

Offline markdiver

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • It's better to burn out, than fade away!
« Reply #192 on: October 19, 2012, 09:15:25 am »
After Day 4 - Overall
Mine - BMW 1200 ADV, KTM 450 RR; HUSABERG TE 300; Goes 320 Quad
Missus - BMW 650 GS.

>< ( ( ((º >`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸>< ( ( ((º >

Offline markdiver

• Race Dog
« Reply #193 on: October 19, 2012, 09:31:37 am »
Pics of Day 4
Missus - BMW 650 GS.

Offline Kenisis

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dubai
« Reply #194 on: October 19, 2012, 10:14:35 am »
Pics of Day 4
How on earth can people not like Rallies? Pics like this Make me Want to Ride!

There are still many guys in the hunt!  Lots can happen in these two days!
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Offline markdiver

• Race Dog
« Reply #195 on: October 19, 2012, 10:41:39 am »
Heee Haaa, and they are off!!!  Google terrain shows that it is going to be another of DUNES, SAND, DUNES, SAND!!!!
Missus - BMW 650 GS.

Offline SteveD

« Reply #196 on: October 19, 2012, 11:03:22 am »
They're off!

Offline markdiver

• Race Dog
« Reply #197 on: October 19, 2012, 11:38:27 am »
They're off!

Nice pic - Where you getting your pics from SteveD??
Missus - BMW 650 GS.

Offline SteveD

« Reply #198 on: October 19, 2012, 01:03:10 pm »
They're off!

Nice pic - Where you getting your pics from SteveD??
My complete lack of riding ability is made up for by lurking on lots of web sites  :mwink:. That particular picture is from Frans Verhoeven's twitter feed, quite a lot are on http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831523&page=65 For example the picture below, with a comment that Darryl is heading off in the wrong direction !
Wotz up?

Offline SteveD

« Reply #199 on: October 19, 2012, 01:06:21 pm »
Good news for Dakar, also via advrider:
"Marc Coma yesterday returned from Casablanca and went through the Dexeus clinic to undergo a more accurate scan, after which he practiced in the hospital of Errachidia, where it was examined after his fall in the third stage of the Rally Morocco.

ICATME Traumatology of the Institut Universitari Dexeus team performed a three-dimensional CT scan and a magnetic resonance of high field of the left shoulder, which confirmed a conminuta fracture of the left posteriolateral (tip of the head of the humerus). The need for surgical intervention was ruled out and after freeze arm, Coma was discharged. You have to rest and within a few days you can start functional recovery.

Marc Coma: "I go review happy, because the diagnosis is better than expected us after the fall and immediately start with the recovery." This slightly alter our plans in preparation for the Dakar, but I am encouraged, because if all goes as it must be, it not condition us the participation in the competition, or the level to which we have to reach. "Now I can continue training, because the lesion allows me to work with my physical therapist doing cardiovascular work, among many other things, and the prognosis is that there should be no difficulties to recover completely within a few weeks".