Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Acewell speedo  (Read 560 times)

Offline Rascal

Acewell speedo
« on: October 15, 2012, 11:04:31 am »
I am replacing the speedo on my KTM640 adventure and struggling to find out which Acewell model speedo i can fit on the 640 that can connect to the existing speedo magnet pickup wire.

any help will be appreciated.

Offline fisheagle

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: Acewell speedo
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 11:12:04 am »
Interesting... My bike came with the speedo MIA? Is yours missing or faulty? And is this another common problem with the 640? Kinda hoping to find something to fit without the pain and trauma of going to the dealers for original.
If You are sure you understand everything that is going on, you are hopelessly confused."
2016 BMW GSA LC
2006 BMW R1200ST
2003 KTM 640Adv(Sold)
2011 BMW R1200GSA, 2007 R1200GSA, 2004 R1200GS,2013 BMW F800GSA 2014 KTM 1190R(All Sold)

Offline Rascal

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 11:17:37 am »
The speedo is broken, its common on pre 2003 models with the square units. I already made the brackets ext to fit to the dash, I just need to know which unit will work on a 640, hopefully using the original pickup.

I will post a pic of the dash when its done if you want to do the same.

Offline Rascal

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 02:35:27 pm »
I see the Trail Tech Vector will also work, but no one has stock.

Anybody that knows of stock somewhere pls let me know.

Offline High 5

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 12:23:27 pm »
Hey Chaps,

I have just bought myself a 2000 KTM 640 Adventure R and the speedo has been sent to Mototech to be sorted out but now that it is back it registers that everywhere I go I am doing 700 Km/h plus the rev counter on my bike has vibrated itself loose in the housing and no longer works.

Any idea's on where to get these repaired or to get others would be greatly appreciated.  Not only are they stupid expensive at the dealer, but it seems a common fault so I am hoping somewhere out there is a common answer to fix it.
KTM 950 Adventure S
KTM 450 SX
KTM 380 EXC

Offline Rascal

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 02:43:12 pm »
You did not say what was wrong and what was repaired. I'm guessing it was the screen fault all of them had. Unfortunately while it is disconnected the internal battery runs flat and then needs to be replaced, there is no guarantee that the speedo will work correctly after that.

I just decided to fit the acewell unit, not worth it to sukkel with the touratech unit. Even after all this trouble the tripmaster is prone to take in water.

hope this helps..

On the rev counter problem, buy a packet of rubber strip from any DIY shop(the ones you use on door frames) and tape it around the rev counter, sqeeze it into the dash snuggly and the vibration is gone.

Offline High 5

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 09:16:53 pm »
@Rascal I think you have the right idea, it's probably easier to replace the whole unit.  My issue is that I got my bike with the speedo consol already out Nd the previous owner had sent it in and he told me about it registering a much higher speed.

My concern with an aftermarket unit is that it won't display temp and fuel level (I'm assuming the OEM unit does)

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures of your conversion.
KTM 950 Adventure S
KTM 450 SX
KTM 380 EXC

Offline Rascal

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 09:42:52 am »
You mentioned that you have a 2000 model 640, they do noy have temp and fuel, although the acewell units do support both.

Offline High 5

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 06:54:48 pm »
Thanks for the info, I was not sure if my bike had the temp and fuel.

I think then there is no choice but to look into the Acewell unit, especially if it will be an upgrade from the standard one.  For a good laugh I enquired at KTM for a new unit and they price in at R12,000

Does anybody have a picture of how the Acewell unit looks mounted in the bike?
KTM 950 Adventure S
KTM 450 SX
KTM 380 EXC