Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW ECO 2012 ripoff!!  (Read 11339 times)

Offline ajax

• Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
Re: BMW ECO 2012 ripoff!!
« Reply #100 on: October 18, 2012, 10:06:11 am »
Well said Rynet.   Ek dink Fuddy behoort nou te luister.... En BMW ook :deal:

Offline J-dog

• Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2012, 11:55:09 am »
We have a similar situation at the guest house. Our cancellation policy is no refund of the 50% deposit 48 hours prior to arrival. However, it's hard to enforce, because keeping the money will piss off the guest, and he/she will tell 7 other people about how unreasonable we were.

that despite that fact that they lost us money by blocking the room.

Most of the time, I give the full refund.

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2012, 12:02:47 pm »
We have a similar situation at the guest house. Our cancellation policy is no refund of the 50% deposit 48 hours prior to arrival. However, it's hard to enforce, because keeping the money will piss off the guest, and he/she will tell 7 other people about how unreasonable we were.

But if someone cancels their booking, but says their mate will take the booking over from them and pay the full price, plus they will pay a cancellation fee for the inconvenience caused, I am sure you would find that acceptable?

BMW club says f@ck you, no refund, no-one allowed to take over your booking, look at our T&C's, rules is rules.

Great PR BMW
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline J-dog

« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2012, 12:04:34 pm »

But if someone cancels their booking, but says their mate will take the booking over from them and pay the full price, plus they will pay a cancellation fee for the inconvenience caused, I am sure you would find that acceptable?

BMW club says f@ck you, no refund, no-one allowed to take over your booking, look at our T&C's, rules is rules.

Great PR BMW

of course

Offline Buddy

« Reply #104 on: October 18, 2012, 12:06:43 pm »
The sheer "ruulz is ruulz" inflexability that BMW is showing leaves a bad taste. This is a small intimate gathering not a Curry Cup Final, plus it was oversubscribed. Shame.
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Offline shark_za

• Old Boys Club
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • KTM 300
« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2012, 12:07:59 pm »

Most areas on a BMW is a slippery slope.

A slippery slope on a BMW could kill you. So I have seen.

Garfield

« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2012, 12:11:54 pm »
Even though I believe that the organizers are within their rights adhering to the T's and C's, in this specific case if it was my call I would have refunded MINZI and moved on.

Yes rules are rules, but sometimes the exception is just the right thing to do.

Offline Rynet

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2012, 12:15:43 pm »

Most areas on a BMW is a slippery slope.

A slippery slope on a BMW could kill you. So I have seen.

So can slipping on a banana peel .
“It’s impossible,” said pride. “It’s risky,” said experience. 

“It’s pointless,” said reason. “Give it a try,” whispered the heart.

Online Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2012, 12:15:52 pm »
If the organizers would've lost money due to the cancellation...............fine then do the T & C's

BUT

If they had a replacement and can only take in a specific number of people..........charge an admin fee, but
give the guy a refund.

Fuck the T & C's.............the refund is the right thing to do. :3some:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 12:16:17 pm by Operator »

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2012, 12:24:21 pm »
If the organizers would've lost money due to the cancellation...............fine then do the T & C's

BUT

If they had a replacement and can only take in a specific number of people..........charge an admin fee, but
give the guy a refund.

Fuck the T & C's.............the refund is the right thing to do. :3some:

Goodwill and client management  :thumleft:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Kuifie

• Brandslang Koning
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Ek Laaik Ry
« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2012, 12:40:25 pm »
Die event is in sy moerse groei stadium, oor tyd sal hulle hulself ophang...............

In enige besigheid moet jy die customer happy hou , al moet jy die reëls bietjie buig want dit gee jou op die einde baie meer goeie advertensie as sleg............................maar op die stadium rol die dollars nog
"If the left side of your brain control the right side of your body, only left handed people are in the right mind"

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2012, 04:42:21 pm »
I agree with Jon W ,Fuddy you shot yourself in the foot there.  :mwink: Even in a rugby game , if you cannot go someone who hasn't sadly lost their their dad after he was in a coma for 2 weeks , can go in your place. And rugby isn't even like a DS bike event , lots of people go to rugby ( not sure why ?   :pot: ), but as Jupiter said so aptly , our DS events are relatively small events and we are a community who all know each other , so much more important to apply discretion for goodwill purposes.

And not fair to call Minzi emotional , I thought he has been admirably rational and dignified in his posts , despite going through what must be a very traumatic (and expensive) time.
Fact is he canceled 3 weeks before the event and they told him they had others to take his place ( they in fact overbooked) .
It is not too late for Red Rover to still make this a BMW marketing win.   :peepwall:

Redirect, Your Honour?  Thank you.

Really, Rynet... an attorney taking heresay into evidence...?  Tsk-Tsk!

Unlike what JonW would have you all think, my edit was the following:
1. The quote incorrectly attributed to 2SD not Minzi - duly corrected.
2. The Currie Cup Final line was made bold - for accent.

JonW, the side issue of bearer tickets was in from the start, my friend...! :P

Now, I never called Minzi "emotional" - refer to the post text, if you would please, my learned friend.  :deal:
I said the issue of refund or not in the event of a bereavement should be discussed and debated when one is not directly involved and emotional about it - i.e. not the bereaved person.  That is what I'm trying to do here. 

Different people deal with bereavement in different ways. 
Some people choose to withdraw and go into isolation.
Some people totally change their lives, take on extra work or engage in extra activities to distract them from their grief.
Others will have a party to celebrate the life of their loved one and the good times they had together.
I also know people who have mourned the death of a pet greater than the death of their relatives.
I'm not being callous at all - purely objective and unemotional. 
It seems others can't engage with the issue on that basis at all.

Some people have judged the organisers negatively for opinions that I expressed.
That is grossly unfair. 
Argue with me by all means for what I say.
I do not speak on behalf of the Organisers or BMW.
I have no idea who Red Rover is either - perhaps he's even an agent provocateur stirring up trouble?

I asked for contextual information from Laurika.
(Thank you, Adventurer for the information.)
Ajax tried to put words I did not say into my mouth.

Thank goodness Laurika  can read for herself and she knows me better...
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline laurika

• hoessenaam van hydrabad...
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • helmet hair is very cool....everyone says so
« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2012, 06:16:40 pm »
I do know u better Fuddie!  :biggrin:

"There is no happiness for him who does not travel...Therefore, wander... The fortune of him who is sitting sits, it rises when he rises, it sleeps when he sleeps, it moves when he moves... Therefore, wander!"...The Rig Veda - 800 - 600 BC..

bmw F650GS/ XT 660 R

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2012, 07:11:55 pm »
Thanx  ;)
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline MINZI

• Under Construction!
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer
  • Right here, right now, nothing else matters.
« Reply #114 on: October 18, 2012, 07:46:30 pm »
To get back to me being pissed off with the organisers of the ECO. I do not expect special treatment from them due to the reason why I chose to cancel our bookings. The email response that I have received from David de Bruyn this week, stated short and sweet and in a typical 'one line response', that we will not receive a refund. I tried to contact him on 28 September after I spoke to Sonja at Maluti Adventures. She informed me that there were people on a waiting list and that our bookings will be filled without any problems and that we will receive our refunds ( accommodation and entry fees ) minus the admin charges. David has been out of the country at the time and I left a voicemessage for him and Coetzee Zietsman on the day. Neither of them came back to me.

The ECO only allows 600 entries due to the carbon footprint that is being left behind after the weekend. They plant 600 trees to try and offset this carbon footprint. 640 paid and confirmed bookings were made. We all had to scramble and pay the entry fees within a couple off days after the booking has been accepted. BMW Clubs has wrongfully accepted another 40 entries and money after the deadline of 600 entries were reached. Last year, the PTA BMW Club accepted more bookings on their forum from friends of theirs. They made an exception for them and openly stated that they will "bend" the rules to accommodate these people.

The right way to have handled the bookings would have been to only accepted the first 600 paid entries. People can then be placed on a waiting list and in the event of someone having to cancel, the person on the waiting list would then pay for their entry. An admin charge would then be deducted from the person that canceled and the balance paid back.

The dealings of the organisers of the ECO in this regard is money driven and they have forgotten why it is called the ECO Challenge. This is the reason why I called it a ripoff. It is not about me not receiving a refund, it is not about why I cancelled and R1600 is not going to make me any poorer than what I am at the moment. The bad taste left in my mouth is because of the way that they have handled it. We can not all hide behind Terms and Conditions. People that only think about their own wellbeing and that are not wise enough to look at the bigger picture. BMW is a big brand. It does not concern them if they have upset one or maybe 100 of their loyal clients, because there will always be more new clients that they can impress and that will support their brand.

These are harsh words and sadly also true facts. I, for one, will not support them anymore due to this incident. I own my third BMW motorcycle and will maybe buy another one someday. When I sold my R1200GSA in January of this year, I wanted to replace it with a KTM. The only reason why I bought the F800GS, were because my wife (Poplap) has a BMW and because I wanted to keep on attending the ECO challenges for another couple of years.

I did not want the Dogs to start fighting with each other due to this thread. This forum are also used for sharing good and bad experiences and for ranting and moaning. This is a social media where we all have one thing in common, DS bikes. There is always competition between the brands. If you do not like what I have stated in this thread, then do not reply to the thread. Easy as that, look away and move on. Do not tell me that my opinion of the situation that I have experienced is wrong. We are all different and we all have different opinions of brands and dealerships.

I hope this clears up a couple off points and explains why I called the ECO a ripoff. It is my opinion and I will stick with it.  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 07:47:33 pm by MINZI »
If you do not STAND for something, you will FALL for anything!

Garfield

« Reply #115 on: October 18, 2012, 07:53:08 pm »
MINZI, let this go and move on, life is too short...

I get what you are saying, also get the T's and C's thing, but there is a point where it is better to just walk away.

Offline MINZI

• Under Construction!
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer
  • Right here, right now, nothing else matters.
« Reply #116 on: October 18, 2012, 08:23:11 pm »
MINZI, let this go and move on, life is too short...

I get what you are saying, also get the T's and C's thing, but there is a point where it is better to just walk away.
        I wanted to walk away a couple of pages ago already. But, as we all know, we can not let sleeping Wilddogs ly. That is why I made the last post. Maybe we can find something else to rant about tomorrow........ :peepwall:
If you do not STAND for something, you will FALL for anything!

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #117 on: October 18, 2012, 08:36:49 pm »
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline Manic

• CE
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog