Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW ECO 2012 ripoff!!  (Read 11237 times)

Offline lamo

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • good friends and fresh mud
Re: BMW ECO 2012 ripoff!!
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 09:43:13 am »
i was told if you cant make ,sorry for you and if you sell your ticket to a friend they will be turned away at the gate ,

Offline Red Rover

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 11:13:38 am »
If you book and T&C's says 18 Sept cut-off, surely it means exactly that...! Not sure how ripp-off and dishonesty features in that.

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 11:15:33 am »
yip, all that money and cold mielies .... ::)

Swim.Bike.Run.Eat.Sleep

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 12:00:00 pm »
As allways there is another side to the story  :peepwall:
Minzi 
Hope after the venting you now feel better  >:D

But i must say there is no ripoff just the rules  :deal:

Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline MINZI

• Under Construction!
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer
  • Right here, right now, nothing else matters.
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2012, 01:21:47 pm »
Only getting chance now to reply, just got back from funeral. I do not care if they give me my money back or not. The ripoff part comes in by BMW Clubs that is charging another 2 people that took our places for the event after we paid for it. I hope the money burns a hole in their pockets. I have always supported the ECO, but I will not again.

Yes, 2 sides of the story. This is my side, do they have the balls to give me their side? Do I still get my shirt and all other things that we received last year?
If you do not STAND for something, you will FALL for anything!

Offline MINZI

• Under Construction!
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2012, 02:25:58 pm »
I just had a 'nice' discussion with David. I got told that no monies will be paid back. No new people will take our places as they have been overbooked and our food etc has been paid for. I accept that, I also accept that we have cancelled after 18 Sept. I also accept that it left a kak taste in my mouth and that I will not support the ECO ever again. i also accept that I am a complete fucknut for choosing between the ECO and the National Bash. From now on I will not miss the Nat Bash again. Rant over.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2012, 02:27:38 pm »
i also accept that I am a complete fucknut for choosing between the ECO and the National Bash. From now on I will not miss the Nat Bash again. Rant over.

:thumleft:
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Coetzee Zietsman

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Ry omdat dit lekker is
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2012, 05:37:08 pm »
This whole threat just proves that no matter what you do and how you state it, people will find something to complain about. The long and short of it, is that there are terms and conditions and if you don't like them, then don't sign and don't pay your money.

The other side of the story, being closely involved with the organization of this event, is this. All the service providers have a cutoff date. Then they order stock, tents, booze etc etc. After that, whether more people come or some cancel, the money is spent. So it will make sense that there can be no refunds after the cutoff date. Try and get a refund from your airline after a cutoff date and see what happens.

The GS Eco is a great event organized by great people and supported by a great brand. You can be snotty all you want, it still remains the biggest gathering of its kind in the world. It has reached that status because systems are in place and rules are adhered to. Of course nobody wants to be short changed, but if  shit happens and you can't make the event and the rules you agreed to are not in your favor, you cannot shift blame to the organizers.
It is unfortunate and that is it. No harm intended and I am sure very little done.
Have a cold one, wash it down with Jagermeister and I am sure you will see the sense in all this.

Offline boere

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2012, 05:48:52 pm »
i also accept that I am a complete fucknut for choosing between the ECO and the National Bash. From now on I will not miss the Nat Bash again. Rant over.

:thumleft:
The bash was a JOL :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2012, 06:01:39 pm »
BMW clubs, Harley clubs, Riders of the wind club.......tropdiere.

Offline MINZI

• Under Construction!
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2012, 06:01:59 pm »
This whole threat just proves that no matter what you do and how you state it, people will find something to complain about. The long and short of it, is that there are terms and conditions and if you don't like them, then don't sign and don't pay your money.

The other side of the story, being closely involved with the organization of this event, is this. All the service providers have a cutoff date. Then they order stock, tents, booze etc etc. After that, whether more people come or some cancel, the money is spent. So it will make sense that there can be no refunds after the cutoff date. Try and get a refund from your airline after a cutoff date and see what happens.

The GS Eco is a great event organized by great people and supported by a great brand. You can be snotty all you want, it still remains the biggest gathering of its kind in the world. It has reached that status because systems are in place and rules are adhered to. Of course nobody wants to be short changed, but if  shit happens and you can't make the event and the rules you agreed to are not in your favor, you cannot shift blame to the organizers.
It is unfortunate and that is it. No harm intended and I am sure very little done.
Have a cold one, wash it down with Jagermeister and I am sure you will see the sense in all this.

No you have a completely different attitude after the message you sent me on Facebook. I see this case as closed from my side and my venting is done. Have a nice one.  :thumleft:

Offline Noneking

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2012, 06:02:27 pm »

:thumleft: There you have it....the other side of the story.
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2012, 06:12:07 pm »
We can understand that the entry is spent on logistics, but what prevents a refund ONCE THE FILL_IN PERSON  has paid ALSO? Minus a REASONABLE admin fee. Of course lekker to hang onto money you have not worked for.

Offline Lear300

• Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2012, 06:15:04 pm »

No you have a completely different attitude after the message you sent me on Facebook. I see this case as closed from my side and my venting is done. Have a nice one.  :thumleft:

Why argue on facebook? :pot:

Offline Rynet

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2012, 06:22:19 pm »
I also don't see the logic.  It is a popular event . Last year there were more people who wanted to go then could go. Minzi cancelled and they filled their places, so got their money. Now they have double money. And his dad was in a coma for all that time and sadly died just over that period.

They spent all that money on planting trees to make a good impression but then, but don't consider someone dying as a worthwhile cause to be humane  . BMW marketing fail.
Its impossible, said pride. Its risky, said experience. 

Its pointless, said reason. Give it a try, whispered the heart.

Offline Hagar

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2012, 06:35:20 pm »
Thou shalt not complain about any form of institutionalised n**ing/ being ripped off on this forum.  The faithful will descent on you. " You accepted the Ts and Cc of the deal, and you should not come and "kak and kerm here"

Personally I see no wrong in you saying how you feel about it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 06:39:59 pm by Hagar »

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2012, 06:43:45 pm »
hmmmmm  sorry  to hear this

i for one  NEVER enter into "gimme yer money before i give you anything"  schemes .......... or at least i try not to 
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2012, 06:48:36 pm »
I also don't see the logic.  It is a popular event . Last year there were more people who wanted to go then could go. Minzi cancelled and they filled their places, so got their money. Now they have double money. And his dad was in a coma for all that time and sadly died just over that period.

They spent all that money on planting trees to make a good impression but then, but don't consider someone dying as a worthwhile cause to be humane  . BMW marketing fail.

I too cannot see Coetzee Zietsman's logic here.

Give the man a refund, it is the right thing to do.
How can I be lost when I have got nowhere to go?

Offline wayneh

• Bike: BSA (all models)
    • South Africa's dual-sport motorcycle rally
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2012, 07:10:59 pm »
Eeish... so many brands choose to take a (sometimes arrogant) stand over a short term gain or inflexible condition... just because of their current demand.
This usually results in costing the brand way more than doing the more considerate thing.

IMHO BMW... or the BMW Club... could have scored massive emotional cred' by simply refunding the poor guy his money.

Whether people view this as right or wrong, I'm sure the organiser's action & attitiude has just lost them some future business.  :deal:

Consumers vote with their heart, before their head.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2012, 07:27:56 pm »
I really don't see the problem here....  :patch:
The event is not a profit-making event for BMW Clubs Africa.  David de Bruyn and his helpers are not paid for their time and effort.  They do it for the love of the brand and the goal of giving BMW riders a fun event to participate in and enjoy.
The accommodation arrangements are covered by a business enterprise

The entry Terms + Conditions were known in advance on registration.   :deal:
The cut-off date was known in advance and has passed.
No refund is due.

I entered within hours of the entries opening and paid my entry fee.  Due to a coccyx injury I have had to withdraw.
I am happy to forfeit my entry fee as the decision is mine and the T+C's were known to me.
(It is certainly not going to bankrupt me.)

Any surplus that may result after the event will go as a donation to the Clocolan community as stated in the event T+C
In addition to my original entry fee, I also made a small donation to that cause up front - as provided for in the T+C.   

I was looking forward to the event.
Sadly for me, I won't be there.
All who are going, enjoy it!  :thumleft:
See you next year...

unless it clashes with the Great Kei Gathering, in which case I won't see you!  ;D

AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.