XrAngel's trial by fire (or rather rain)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallyengles

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT600
So earlier this afternoon xrAngel and I went out in town for her to get more used to her first ever bike.  Before we leave both of us notice the impending weather coming but decide to go anyway, a little water won't kill us.  So after some very successful cornering, braking and balance on her part we stop off to say hi to my dad and then it happens.  Just as we are off the bikes with our helmets off the rain starts coming down, so with no place to park and hide we very quickly don our gear again and she can't get her bike kick started, so I kill mine run to start hers and mount my bike yet again.
I start mine up and as I enter the road I hear the unmistakable clunk of her bike dying.  By now the rain coming down has turned a light shade of white and taken the decision to no longer be a liquid.  Needless to say I rush back, kick the k@k out of the little 200 and order her to get going.  I jump back on my bike and rush after her (rush being a very relative term).
Now it must also be said all the time she has been tailing me to mimic braking distance and so on but now she's in front.  Roughly twenty meters from my house her bike loses velocity a little farther from the stop than it should and I see the rear end squirrel as she dumps it into first.  Now at this moment, all I can do is imagine in horror the bike throwing her off, some part of her anatomy being forced into a shape it shouldn't be and her giving up on biking for the rest of her life, but NO.  She remains perfectly calm and trundles home as if nothing ever happened.  Having achieved a new benchmark of 50 km/h all on her lonesome.
It may sound slow, dull and wet but today will always be one of my favorite riding memories!