Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: First South African Animal Rights Film Festival  (Read 3925 times)

Extreme Velcro

First South African Animal Rights Film Festival
« on: October 11, 2007, 01:29:47 pm »
Beauty without Cruelty is proud to present the first South African Animal Rights Film Festival at the Labia Cinema, 68 Orange Street, Gardens, in Cape Town from Friday 9th to Thursday 15th November 2007 in Cape Town and from Wednesday 22nd to Sunday 25th in Johannesburg at Further, 21st Century Counterculture Shop, 1 Olifants Rd, cnr. 5th Ave, Emmarentia, next to Earth 2.

More than 12 internationally acclaimed documentary films will be screened on wide-ranging themes from personal journeys of discovery about animal sentience in Mad Cowboy to entertaining and challenging stories on the emotional lives of farm animals in The Emotional World of Farm Animals. 

Further movies are The Witness, the story of how a man's love of a cat leads to the exposure of the fur industry and Behind the Mask which highlights the individual struggles of men and women who sacrifice personal safety and security to save the lives of animals.  This documentary features Keith Mann, a highly respected animal rights activist and liberationist, whom we are proud to host as our main speaker at the festival.

We are very proud to announce that we have been given permission for one showing in each city of one of the most controversial and informative chronicle of man's economic dependence on animals; namely EARTHLINGS  www.isawearthlings.com

In addition to these inspiring films, local guest speakers will address audiences on topics relating to animal ethics before/after a number of films. Audience participation will be encouraged in question/answer sessions.   

The opening night of the festival will take place on Friday 9th November in Cape Town with  guests and members of the press invited to attend a cheese and wine function before the screening of the film "Behind the Mask"  in the main Labia Theatre on Orange.

The films shown at the festival encompass a wide range of opinion and research spanning the personal and public views of scientists, activists, victims, farmers, and consumers on controversial issues relating to our relationships with animals.

These films give a voice to the animal voiceless and challenge us not only to to recognise animals as sentient beings but also to make ethical choices in our daily lives regarding our treatment of animals.

Should you have any further queries, do please feel free to call Lejane at the attached numbers or speak to Heather on 021 687 9240.  For more info on the Johannesburg event, please do call Anne on 082 775 0711 or Aragorn on 082 557 3912

Regards

Lejane Hardy
PR - Beauty Without Cruelty
Chairperson ?? Capetonians against Animal Abuse
Editor ?? Animal Activist Network News
Bunnyhuggers Promos, Events and Corporate Gifts
Cape Town
Cell:    (083) 651 1120

[/URL]
[/img]

[/[/img]

Extreme Velcro

Re: First South African Animal Rights Film Festival
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 11:57:32 am »
All Wild Dogs in Cape Town are more than welcome to join us for the opening night at a vegan cheese and organic wine party and see what we are all about:

I would love to see you all there - perhaps if you decide to come along, you can get a much better idea of what I am about (well, at least sort of).

thanks

EV

GS-holic

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 12:13:52 pm »
EV its the same weekend aas the Bash I don't think you'll get much attendance...... ???

Extreme Velcro

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 12:18:54 pm »
There seem to be a couple of people from the Western Cape that are unable to go to the bash, so if they want to join us, I hope they will.

Offline Beemer Man (RIP)

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 01:59:59 pm »
Eeich the name of that theatre!!! ;D
I think if I actually found My mind, I probably wouldn't know what to do with it,

Offline mountainboy

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • I vespa, therefore I am, well, almost....
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 09:59:36 pm »
Hey EV. off to the bash but i hope all goes well with the opening and the festival. one day we'll meet,promise! best of luck
I love my bike..................

Extreme Velcro

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 09:29:21 am »
Please do try and make it on Wednesday and Thursday night when we will be having a true blue animal liberationist as a speaker and we will be showing the movies "Earthlings" and "Behind the Mask" - Earthlings being a movie that is quite challenging to watch.  It showcases man's inhumanity to animals and is seriously hardcore - very very shocking and sometimes hardly believable that people can be quite so cruel.

The festival has been great so far, even if for the only reason that the Labia is still the Labia and not having been there since my student days - wow, it's just so still the same  ;D ;D

Offline mountainboy

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 09:21:30 pm »
So which movie plays on which night? really cant handle the hardcore movies. way to disturbing. Lemme know and i'll chat to the girlfriend!

Extreme Velcro

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 06:16:29 am »
Tonight - Witness (happy stuff)
WEdnesday - Earthlings (hardore)
Thursday - Behind the Mask (manageable)

Offline mountainboy

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 04:10:52 pm »
Tonight - Witness (happy stuff)WEdnesday - Earthlings (hardore)
Thursday - Behind the Mask (manageable)

i get to smoke the good stuff while watching a movie

labia is always the coolest!

Extreme Velcro

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 05:02:41 pm »
I think the best evening to come will be Thursday night - the movie is not too hardcore, it will be the last night so there will be some levity and some fun and I know a lot of chirps.

I think it will also be interesting for everybody. 

Tomorrow night is hardcore - its watching the most horrific stuff.  If you're brave enough - I'm always pleased, because its a serious learning curve to know what happens behind the scenes and often in our name.  But wow, its harsh stuff......every time we have a showing of "Earthlings" I make sure that there are tissues around, as so far, haven't gotten one person that hasn't cried - it changed one person into being vegan overnight literally.

Thursday night is more about the people in the animal rights movement and might give everyone more of an insight into why we are who we are and why we do what we do.  It has its moments, but they are quite bearable in context and as mentined, the mood on the last night will be quite light.

Hopefully we'll see you Thursday..........

Offline mountainboy

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 09:54:43 pm »
so what time does this all start? are only vegan snacks? can i bring biltong along? too many questions i know!

Offline mountainboy

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 09:56:28 pm »
so what time does this all start? are only vegan snacks? can i bring biltong along? too many questions i know!

Extreme Velcro

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 07:43:41 am »
Hi

It's at the Labia so snacks for all kinds of eaters are provided.

Tonight is going to be fun - Keith Mann is quite a passionate and funny speaker, and on some subjects is quite amusing.  To think that he went to jail for 7 years and then thereafter another 6 months for his beliefs is mindboggling.

He is actually in the movie being shown tonight and there is sure to be lots of banter and some really good questions being asked afterwards during the q and a.

Be there anytime from about 0745 onwards - the introduction will be around 08:00 and then the movie and then some q and a and discussion, which if last night was anything to go by could become quite lively  ;D ;D ;D

Offline mountainboy

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 10:46:05 am »
Thanks EV

will def try to make it, likely be there by 8 only..... what price are the tickets?

Extreme Velcro

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 10:52:49 am »
R25 each - super, can't wait to see you !

Offline mountainboy

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2007, 11:41:15 am »
R25 each - super, can't wait to see you !

easy there EV -i know Mark might not be there but my girlfriend will. So lets not start a cat fight ;D ;D ;D

Extreme Velcro

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 11:47:30 am »
Mark WILL be there - and anyway, I've developed a bit of an adolescent crush on our overseas activist, so.......

Nah, I am just so happy at the moment as this has been a huge succes - the whole film festival.  Meeting so many new people - many of whom braved Earthlings last night (although they were looking a bit green around the gills when they came out, and some came out sobbing) and have met so many new people who have signed up to help and to help us make things happen to stop cruelty and abuse - I'm flying......

Offline mountainboy

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 11:53:03 am »
fly EV, fly............

see tonight then!!

Extreme Velcro

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2007, 07:17:02 am »
Thanks for coming through, Mountainboy.