Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Inappropriate machines  (Read 2239 times)

Offline vigilant

Inappropriate machines
« on: October 17, 2012, 03:50:16 pm »
I have to be clear that i've only had a few months with a 125 on/off thing, and have never been more than 1 km or so on dirt, i'm here to learn until i get another chance to try.

So i was reading the thread on Namibian sand roads, all very nice and all, until Subie comes along and tells about his "Posty" and how he rode it all over the place.

Honda CT110

Subie: Respect  :thumleft:

Now the constant theme in that thread was keep under 80 (for newbs) and take it slow. I've recently got my hands on a Suz gn250, nice little runabout, which i keep staring at blankly wondering how to magic it into a scrambler, kind of like cinder's pumpkin.

Now i'm all for learning, so if a 250 GN is all i have got, then a 250 GN is what i must use. So, where do i start? And how do i prevent myself becoming a campfire story to warn other newbs?

I'm not interested in speed, it's about getting home, i think my biggest fear is getting stuck in mud or sand? Is it worth it to just go out and find a dirt road? Or am i jagging kak aan?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 03:51:33 pm by vigilant »
Ride the lightning

Offline Buddy

Re: Inappropriate machines
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 05:33:35 pm »
Well this is the thing with modern advertising - they convince you that you need an off-road bike to ride offroad. Your GN250 will handle most dirt roads without a problem, just stay away from the loose stuff and dont use your front brake hard. I used to ride all over the East London area's dirt roads on a stock Honda 350 back in the 70's because we didn't have specific "adventure" bikes then, every bike was an adventure bike. Most bikes had 19 inch front wheels and 18 inch back wheels.

The innocence of youth also helps.
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 05:59:58 pm »
This was my 'adventure' bike with which I travelled all over the Klein Karoo in the mid-eighties
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 06:07:50 pm by jupiter »
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 06:34:20 pm »
Smaak the boots  :thumleft:
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Ratt

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • An experiment in Artificial Stupidity...
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 08:13:35 pm »
Why the hell not??

Bit more agro tyres for bit better traction and some sort of little bash plate to protect rocks flinging up and farking up your cooling fins
I'm not saying kill stupid people, I'm saying, remove the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

**072 596 1303 in Knysna if you have troubles**

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 09:12:40 pm »
The GN250 is a fine machine.  In most of Africa it would be considered a big capable cruiser.

Oh, and it's really difficult to get stuck unless you do something incredibly risky or stupid.

Offline Etienne2T

• Mr.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dinosaur
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 10:41:58 pm »
Friend of mine travelled with ZERO biking experience on a little 180cc pharmacy bike from Scotland, through Europe, then Asia, then down through Africa and then through the Americas. That bike should do just fine :)

Offline SHANEB

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 05:27:13 am »
This was my 'adventure' bike with which I travelled all over the Klein Karoo in the mid-eighties

My Mom had a CB400T same color, and I can tell that those things go well on dirt roads, I have seen off a mate on an XT500 on one of those on a good dirt road! I did know the road better than him though.
My Digital Photo Gear. www.facebook.com/MyDigitalPhotoGear
       For all your Photographic Equipment.

Offline bud500

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 08:16:31 am »
On that GN250 I would just look into ways of raising the front mudguard a bit. This would allow for a more aggresive tyre but more importantly will prevent excessive mud build up in case you do encounter the wet stuff. Mud build up is one of the main issues as this results in a locked front wheel and no more travelling.

Another thing to add, seeing as a bashplate was mentioned, an option would be to add a mudflap at the back of the front mudguard as this will prevent stones being flung into the bike. A old piece of conveyor belt works well.

Then go and ride, apply some common sense and always let someone know in which direction you are heading.
Live like someone left the gate open.

Offline Lem

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 08:21:44 am »
wel, verlede jaar het die Steyn couple met die Moto Mia 'Pachinos tot in Kairo gery. En hulle bikes was Chinese ripp-offs van juis hierdie Suzuki.

Masterparts in Bellville gebruik geen ander bike as hierdie GN 250 nie, al vir solank as wat ek kan onthou nie.

ek het ook al geleer, as jy versigtig is, kan jy nogal baie ver kom, maak nie te veel saak waarmee nie
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline vigilant

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 08:47:02 am »
Ag lekker!

Thanks for the encouragement, i'll definitely be looking for some dirt roads soon then. Is it worth joining up with some of the dogs who ride out from the westrand or should i set my sights a bit lower?

I've looked at google earth a bit, where's a good newb start point?

Ride the lightning

Offline Skipskop

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • ;-)
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 10:11:48 am »

Ek en pillion het die oostransvaal en Rhodesia platgery met die bike in die vroeg sewentigs,dis wat ek gehad het en dis wat ek gebuik het . Kan ook nie onthou of ek die verskil tussen grond en teer agtergekom het daardie tye nie .
" Of all the things I lost in life, what I miss the most, is my mind"
DRZ 400 E ,1200GS WR450- KLR650 Side-car
Yamaha CV80 Beluga
"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing"
"Old age is not for the inexperienced" "If you haven't grown up by age 50 , you don`t have to"

Offline Beemer Mike

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Preserve the Wild Dog (in formaldehyde)!!!
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 10:17:59 am »
Just go do it.
 :ricky:
 There are also quite a few outrides that get advertised on this forum. Go do them.

Nobody worries what is ridden as long as you are riding.

If you get stuck in sand or mud... well that is where the fun starts. In fact you could have more fun than others as your bike is light.

There is also a section of gps routes for outrides, download and go.

BMW 1150 GSA
Honda XR 650 L
BMW GS 1200 LC Trophy

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Race Dog
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 03:13:34 pm »
Nothing like saddle time and tips from riding mates to help you out....... then invest in some training later on like ADA etc.......well worth the money :thumleft:
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 04:04:05 pm »
Do it  -   and write one hell of a Ride Report!   

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 04:09:47 pm »
Ted Simon rode over 100,000km around the world on a Triumph T100 500cc back in 1971. He rode from Cairo to Cape Town, from South America to North America, across Australia and through Asia. It can be done -easily. His comfortable speed was 80km/h though...
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline O-Range

• Pack Dog
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 11:23:25 am »
My boet just did a 3600km ride through Australian out-back on a 110 Honda Posty for charity, over 10 days.

Offline domstes

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 11:35:15 am »
Dink die ou is die wenner...
 Sydney to London on a105cc Honda callled Dot  http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460631

Offline JS

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Montesa (all models)
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 11:36:34 am »

My Mom had a CB400T same color, and I can tell that those things go well on dirt roads, I have seen off a mate on an XT500 on one of those on a good dirt road! I did know the road better than him though.
Many moons back, I raced it's daddy (450 black bomber) in flat track and saw off many a xt, xl, xr

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 12:01:16 pm »
I started reading about Dot and came to

This guy is a nutter, a wonderful nutter!