Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Quarry riding - awesome playpen - be careful of crime and oncoming traffic  (Read 427336 times)

Online Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
Re: Quarry riding - awesome playpen - be careful of crime and oncoming traffic
« Reply #6440 on: April 04, 2021, 02:56:25 pm »
How very nice to see Bertus (A2J) again. He joined Anton (Kawaki), DavidM, and I for a great ride until Bertus' bike got a rear puncture. Anton went home, fetched a bakkie and took Bertus home. David and I had an energetic ride back to debriefing and home. Thanks guys. Brilliant as always!

Track attached.

Online Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
« Reply #6441 on: April 04, 2021, 03:00:50 pm »
Along the way I stopped to chat to a shepherd with a flock of goats. He complained bitterly about bikers scaring his flock into injuring themselves in panic or escaping to the next farm, with a concomitant hassle to get them back. He has my sympathy and so I'll ask both of you that read this to go real slow when you see domestic animals. We're having so much fun out there it's easy to forget how hard it is for so many.

Online Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
« Reply #6442 on: April 10, 2021, 07:15:23 am »
8:30 seems to be a good time to start in the autumn. That gives us at least two and a half hours before opening time.

See you tomorrow.

Online Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
« Reply #6443 on: April 11, 2021, 02:26:09 pm »
An entirely satisfactory ride of over 30kays this morning. Quite a crowd, Lance, Andrew, Lucas, Kevin, Liza, Matt, Kevin, Angus, Gerard, Peter, Kim, DavidM and 3 newcomers, Taylor, John-john and Tuscan (I kid you not!) set out with me on a grand tour of the Parklands Bush. We met Mark, William and Daniel at the Crater. One of the newcomer's bikes died here and they towed it back to Cipla by a long and circuitous route. Lucas nearly killed himself when he tried to fly his bike. Both he and the bike survived.

Great to see Matt Vianello riding again. He bravely managed to hang on until the end despite the weird and mysterious crippling condition which has plagued him for the last two years.

Debriefing was as fine as always.

Big, big thank you everyone.

Offline katana

• I may be cheap, but I am not a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Born again 1/7/2020
« Reply #6444 on: April 12, 2021, 01:47:11 pm »
  Pigs can fly, landing on the front wheel is tricky.
If you want to haul ass, you gotta mix gas.

The following users thanked this post: Rynet

Online Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
« Reply #6445 on: April 12, 2021, 09:15:32 pm »
Glad you got away uninjured!

Online Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
« Reply #6446 on: April 16, 2021, 12:29:21 pm »
See you all on Sunday, 8:30.

BTW - Anybody know who is planning a track-clearing bring, braai and hack on the 24th May? This is an ordinary working Monday, which seems a bit odd. Perhaps they meant this month - the 24th is a Saturday. It would be great to co-ordinate our efforts.

Online Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
« Reply #6447 on: April 18, 2021, 01:57:23 pm »
Caron, Nicole, Kim, Dano, DavidM, Taylor, Anton and I had the best ride. About 35kays of soft sand and whoops, bush and tight corners and a few bits of fast stuff made the ride so special. David had to leave early for other commitments, Kim was so generous at debrief - thank you, and thank you everyone for the exceptional ride!

I'll include the track as well as the latest iteration of Quarry.kmz for your edification and delight.

This is the url to download the desktop version of Google Earth. Well advised. It's so much better than Android and web versions.

https://www.google.com/earth/versions/download-thank-you/?usagestats=0

Online Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
« Reply #6448 on: April 24, 2021, 01:51:40 pm »
See you all in the morning - 8:30.

Online Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
« Reply #6449 on: April 25, 2021, 01:41:59 pm »
Small group of just 6 riders.  Shorter ride than usual, but great fun and laughter with such a really nice bunch.

Kim, Peter, Caron, DavidM, Anton and I covered only 16 or 17 kays but we had so much fun.

New trackage was made, David learned to spin-turn and make donuts and was preposterously chuffed. Caron performed heroics, tackling and conquering stuff that was previously solidly off-limits. Jumps were performed by all.

Thanks you everyone,

Track attached:

Edit: David learned to spin-turn. His knee didn't. And now he's laid up for a few days with severe swelling. Our best wishes!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 11:15:30 am by Crossed-up »

The following users thanked this post: katana

Online Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
« Reply #6450 on: April 27, 2021, 03:43:07 pm »
We had a splendid get together today. Francois comes of age tomorrow, so his wife, Leandri, organised a boerie braai and beer in the bush. In attendance were Kevin and Liza, Lance and Zanie, Paul, Muzz, Kim, Lindi (Oliver's sister), Lucas, Andrew. A most festive occasion. Thank you Leandri for the excellent idea and all the hard work. Thank you, too, to the braai-team of Andrew, Lucas and Lindi.

Some bushes were bashed re-establishing the through-track from the Christmas tree. Whoops and sand were navigated with aplomb. Leandri proved herself equal to anything the Parklands bush could challenge her with. Well done! We expect you on our regular rides.

Offline LanC

« Reply #6451 on: April 27, 2021, 06:15:10 pm »
I clearly remember the first time I rode that track from the Christmas Tree with you in 2017 and my 450 decided to take a break right in the middle of the thick of things:
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=109353.msg3764122#msg3764122
I still called the track file for that day Rad50kmQuarryRide.kmz

The following users thanked this post: Crossed-up

Online Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
« Reply #6452 on: April 27, 2021, 07:30:17 pm »
That was quite a big ride for 2017!

I see you made them do an interesting route to the festivities this morning. Thanks for doing that.

Online Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
Leaving Cipla/Ace Sports at 8:30 in the morning.

Online Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
Thank you Nicole, Anton and PeterA. Because we were a smaller group and the leader was the slowest rider we were able to have a spirited, but shortish ride.  I subjected the group to quite a bit of hammering about off-track, even having to turn around once or twice. Also we did a lot of deep sandy whoops - usually I avoid these! Established a nice, twisty little through-track from the reserve fence to the depressingly expanding and rapacious development. Next week the area will probably be bulldozed flat. :(

Andrew met us at debrief. Altogether a fine affair. Thank you, Andrew, for your kindness.

I'm tired!

Online Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
Just listen to our tracks being manicured and conditioned.....

Online Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
And they were beautiful, smooth and firm. Thank you Graham, Gerard, Angus and DavidM for joining me on the Mothers' Day special. Nearly 40 kays of fairly spirited riding saw us crossing uncharted territory here and there as well as some old favourites. So very nice of you, Caron, to join us at debrief, but sorry you had to miss the ride. It was a goodie!

Here's the .kmz:

Online Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
Oh God! The weekly record is so boring. Yet another top-notch ride! Thank you Caron, Graham, Dave, DavidM, Paul (re-incarnated GasGas, with stubborn back brake!), Herman, Anton and Byron for coming along on a great ride of over 30 kays in the most perfect conditions.

Another group of mostly KTM 2-stroke riders stole Charlton, Chad and Dylan away from us. I can't imagine they could possibly have had a better ride than us!

Exemplary debriefing followed.

Here's our track.

Online Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
It's cold and dark in the mornings. Let's have a 9 o'clock getaway.

Online Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
9am was a good move. It was cold this morning, but it soon warmed up very nicely. Great ride with Willem and Willie, Lance & Zanie, DavidM, Kim, Caron, Nicole and Anton. Lots and lots of whoops make for tiring riding. Thanks everyone. I'm properly knackered now.

Debrief was highlit by the presence of the Landsbergs, Kobus (Garfield, GeelKat), Gretha and Sharne. Even our long lost occasional bush riders, Andrew and Lucas put in an appearance after a morning wasted in the Atlantis sand. Paddle tyres, bah!

But nice to see them, nonetheless.

Track attached: