Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Quarry riding - awesome playpen - be careful of crime and oncoming traffic  (Read 427388 times)

Offline LanC

Thanks for the ride Crossed-up and returning to find the lost sheep so many times. There were a few new tracks around the mall and I think I managed to ride the one you wanted to show me. I compared your track with mine and see where we missed the double back turn off along the fence. While I was on the hill hooting and listening for bikes I decided to bring out my gps which had your track from 2nd May which I still wanted to ride. So we started following that until Anton found us. It was quite surprising how some of the single tracks have become twee spoor and some twee spoor have become single track.

Offline SquirrelHunter

9am was a good move. It was cold this morning, but it soon warmed up very nicely. Great ride with Willem and Willie, Lance & Zanie, DavidM, Kim, Caron, Nicole and Anton. Lots and lots of whoops make for tiring riding. Thanks everyone. I'm properly knackered now.

Debrief was highlit by the presence of the Landsbergs, Kobus (Garfield, GeelKat), Gretha and Sharne. Even our long lost occasional bush riders, Andrew and Lucas put in an appearance after a morning wasted in the Atlantis sand. Paddle tyres, bah!

But nice to see them, nonetheless.

Track attached:

Thanks Crossed-up, we miss Parklands as well. Just cant get enough of these paddle tyres at the moment. Riding just keeps getting better and better. A few pics to make you jealous.

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
We'll have a later start again on Sunday morning. Leaving Ace Sports/Cipla at 9. The sand is firm and friendly - all welcome.

Offline LanC

We'll have a later start again on Sunday morning. Leaving Ace Sports/Cipla at 9. The sand is firm and friendly - all welcome.
Cool, I'll bring a newbie. My brother in law got a 250L yesterday.

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
What a day! Lance, Anton, Dano, DavidM and I were joined by Rudolf on his shiny 250L and @Ri on her very dapper 250 Kawasaki 4-stroke. They coped so well with the challenging conditions and came through with style. Met Angus, Terrick and their lighties out there.  Afterwards Ri and I retired to the Barrel, Rudolf went home, Anton went about his business and Lance, DavidM and Dano went out and did an extra loop in the bush. So everyone was satisfied! 
Bumped into the "Adventure Riding Muppets" of YouTube fame at the Barrel. Fine bunch!

The following users thanked this post: Ri

Offline LanC

Great ride. There is plenty water out there and Rudolf managed to go for swimming lessons in the central whoops pool. He thoroughly enjoyed his first ride. Ri did really well on her new little steed with those slick tyres.

At the end of the ride I still had more than half a tank of petrol and more than half a tank of energy so took David and Dano on a spirited 25km loop. I accidentally found way too many whoops and even ended up in the horsie sand moat by mistake. Poor David looked like he was going to throw up when we eventually stopped for a breather at the north triangle after an hour of riding.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/W2ejiE8_qYU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/W2ejiE8_qYU</a>
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 08:05:26 am by LanC »

The following users thanked this post: Crossed-up, Rynet, Ri, Andrew_Smith

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
That was a big loop you took poor David on!  I hope he comes back tomorrow.

9am departure seems to work well atm.

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
With all the other rides and side attractions on offer, and most of them on Saturday our complement was sadly reduced to just three. Fuzzy, DavidM and me. But we had a first-rate thrash about the bush, and visited some areas we seldom see.  Fuzzy has spent the last 8 months putting his CRF450 together after various issues including lost gears and a stubbornly recalcitrant carburetor. Sadly it still gave issues, but not before he'd had a fine ride. First a puncture, then some other issue, (I forget what), then the fuel hose detached itself from the carburetor, and finally the right-hand engine casing split in two just in front of the kickstart lever. As this was at the end of the ride he wisely phoned a friend.

DavidM and I went on to debriefing where we once again ran into the Adventure Riding Muppets, Keith, Travers and Dylan, who are resolved to ride our tracks on their silly big adventure bikes, 990, 640 etc. I look forward to it.

Track attached.

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
Sunday, 9am, business as usual.

Next weekend is the Tankwa Training and Orientation event. I'll be there to help. And, of course to support our intrepid Quarrior entries!

Oh, and my phone was drowned, resuscitated for a few hours and is now terminal. I'll probably only replace it after Tankwa so I'm not responding to WhatsApp.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 03:01:32 pm by Crossed-up »

Offline Zanie

Lance and I may bump into you in the bush, but we are going on our own mission tomorrow morning. Lance is loading me a track, which I'll try follow - my own orientation before orientation. But definitely see you at Tankwa!  :biggrin:

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
Great! Don't forget to look up from the GPS. Tankwa doesn't feature nasty Australians that jump out at you!

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
Lovely ride today! Cold and drizzly at the start but beautiful a bit later. Fuzzy's bike gave some trouble again and he had to withdraw so it was just Dano and me. We pioneered a new cross-track, following a woodcutters' footpath, crossing an old whoopy track and joining up with the Riverbed track.

Towards the end we met two guys on a 660Z and a 950SE waiting for their friend on a 990 who had buried his bike in the sandy track under the powerlines. We didn't offer to help. ::)

Thanks Dano.

Track attached:

Offline Zanie

Lance and I were also out there. We saw two sets of other bikers (one was two girls - one on a quad, the other on a bike).

I found I could follow Lance's GPS track, if there was a track to follow... It seems he created a track with the idea to see whether some really old trails still existed. Some are very definitely extinct. Another was bulldozed. Final stats: 38km over 4 hours. Completely bushed now, in both senses of the word: tired after surviving multiple attacks by foliage.

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
Well done! I think you started before us. Here and there I came across a pair, maybe three, tracks that I thought could be yours.

We also came across a whole family with bakkies, bikes, beer and boeries at the "Meeting Spot".

Offline LanC

Zanie aced the gps training ride. I don't have to worry about her getting lost in the tankwa next weekend.
We started at the table bay mall just after 9. They have ploughed down a whole lot of track we were riding a few weeks back.

I planned a track for zanie to follow (see attached) that included some tracks we did in 2017, tracks that I labelled "rad quarry ride" and wanted to find again. We found quite a few of them do not exist any more and many more are seriously overgrown and in need of a good garden service. I clear some tracks in the north triangle while zanie trundled ahead and then I played catch up.

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
That's an impressive loop! Well done Zanie.

There are all sorts of almost forgotten tracks there. For the longest time I've been wanting to go back to that little track out of the northern triangle to open it up. It must have been a proper thrash to get through yesterday. I haven't ridden it for 2 years (since May 2019) and it wasn't easy then.

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
A word of advice:

Back up everything on your GPS before Tankwa. There's a guy there that wipes all your tracks most ruthlessly.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Zanie aced the gps training ride. I don't have to worry about her getting lost in the tankwa next weekend.
We started at the table bay mall just after 9. They have ploughed down a whole lot of track we were riding a few weeks back.

I planned a track for zanie to follow (see attached) that included some tracks we did in 2017, tracks that I labelled "rad quarry ride" and wanted to find again. We found quite a few of them do not exist any more and many more are seriously overgrown and in need of a good garden service. I clear some tracks in the north triangle while zanie trundled ahead and then I played catch up.

Im gonna do this track tomorrow
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Zanie

Good luck. Don't take any of the dead-end bits. ;)

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
So Zanie, Nicole, Lance, Muzz, Angus, Gerard and Terrick  did the Tankwa Orientation and Training this last weekend. Everyone covered themselves in mud and glory. Well done!

And I got a short ride on a CRF300L. Very nice bike indeed. I want one.