Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Quarry riding - awesome playpen - be careful of crime and oncoming traffic  (Read 427341 times)

Offline Zanie

What an amazing experience that was. Despite being time-barred and/or rerouted both days, Nicole and I still got a solid 115-120 km of riding in each day - I won't go so far as to call it racing!

I'd be keen to do it again, even knowing I'll probably not be able to make the full route, and hoping that Clive and the organisers are ok to deal with these two slow chicks who "even have padkos!" That last bit from a horrified someone at one of the fuel stops. We had such a laugh about that one. Another fine moment was when Nicole tow-started the sweep's quad.

Both Muzz and Nicole seem to have an affinity for mud. Who knew. I just liked thorn bushes...

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
You 2 were fantastic. Unlike countless others, you put your names down and DID it!  The riding was not easy and the pace required was crazy. But you still had a great ride, and a great time. I admire that so much and I felt proud to know you.

The following users thanked this post: Rynet

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Epic riding, I'm surprised there is not a dedicated Tankwa thread on here.

Everyone who joined up for this ride would be surprised by the weather on the Sunday evening, It was probably around 25 degrees if not more , and no wind. What a fantastic evening of braai and war stories to go with a celebration drink or 5..

Thank you John for your help and assistance in keeping the times etc, it was always uplifting to see a friendly face smiling & waving when we went past you a few times.

I had the time to check out my front tyre properly after a good clean and I indeed damaged the tyres bead which is why it kept rolling off the rim... lesson learnt, carry enough large , heavy duty zip ties to keep it on the rim. I was happy with the bikes performance after the rebuild but it just goes to show that Tankwa can be unpredictable, well done to Terrick and the oke camping next to us who both rode with flat tyres for most of the day.

The camp we setup was such a blast, the QUARRIORS were well represented, thank you to Jonno and Johann from Honda Tygerberg for their support. I could not use my bakkie to get up as they needed it for work and I sold my trailer so the lift and fuel sponsorship for the event was greatly appreciated. I'm sure Jonno appreciated me driving back on Monday after his celebration on Sunday night  :laughing4:

A great event is one where everyone had fun and there were no serious injuries, a very big WELL DONE to Zanie & Nicole for taking on such a mammoth task, and congratulations to the Snack boys, Angus & Terrick for not stopping for  drinks this time  :laughing4: :laughing4:

If my stars line up , I will be back in September as there is always unfinished business in the Tankwa .

&t=1549s
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 01:00:53 pm by Fuzzy Muzzy »
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline LanC

Epic riding, I'm surprised there is not a dedicated Tankwa thread on here.
There is one under the racing section http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=257187.0

The following users thanked this post: Fuzzy Muzzy

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
9am Sunday at Ace Sports/Cipla for a regulation trundle.

See you there.

Offline SquirrelHunter

Perfect morning for Parklands,. Hope you guys have a blast.

Sent from a Samsung Fridge -Tapatalk

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
We did, indeed, have a blast. Kim & Peter, Caron, Anton, Angus, Herman, Santene (back after a long absence), and Raymond (a newbie to us but not to dirt-biking) joined me for a perfect ride, covering all sorts of tracks out there.  Thank you Anton and Angus for help with my disobedient 30-year-old. And thank you to Kim for the critical sponsorship.

Perfect morning for Parklands,. Hope you guys have a blast.

Your (and Lucas') participation would, of course, enliven the ride even more. Look forward to your eventual return.

Track attached:

« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 05:11:27 pm by Crossed-up »

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
Looking forward to Sunday. Leaving Ace Sports/Cipla at 9 sharp.

It also behooves me to apologise most sincerely to @Ri. Last Sunday she said she would be riding through the arctic waste all the way from Somerset West to join us. I even told the other riders that she'd be joining us. But 5 past 9 came up and I clean forgot to check up on Ri. In my silly preoccupation with punctuality I gathered my bunch and headed out just before 10 past, clean forgetting we were expecting her.

Meanwhile Ri was at the garage over the road busy getting changed when she saw us heading out without her!  Oh Horror! I have permanently and irrevocably blotted my copy book.

I'm very, very sorry, Ri. It was a careless and shit thing to do to you. I hope you read this and find it in you to forgive me. Better yet, come ride with us again. It won't happen again.

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
Bloody marvelous ride today. Lucas (remember him?) appeared for the first time in some while. Atlantis is a winsome bitch, but he dragged himself away. Caron, Kim, Pieter, DavidM and Anton made up the company. Some quite spirited riding was done, including some new bits and other attractions.  I covered 37kays and I'm sure some of the others must have done more than 40.  Anton fixed David's bike. We did a big loop including the other side of Morning Star all the way down to the mall sector where we found they'd bulldozed another whole big area, carelessly obliterating some kilometers of fine track, as well as a section of rocky surface I'd found and was intending to put a track through. There should be a special section in Hell for greedy developers.

Then we went to the van Rooyens (Kim & Peter) for some pre-Cyril refreshment and some splendid fare. Big, big thank you.

Track attached.

The following users thanked this post: katana

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
Well, it looks like the bad weather forecast for Sunday has been delayed a bit and will arrive on Monday. Hooray!

Offline katana

• I may be cheap, but I am not a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Born again 1/7/2020
If the Husky arrives on Saturday, I will see you there.
If you want to haul ass, you gotta mix gas.

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
Departure from Ace at 9am, sharp.

If the Husky arrives on Saturday, I will see you there.

Let's hope!  :thumleft:

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
Another outstanding ride. We were joined for the first time by Dean (experienced, on a new KTM 250 2T) and Rob (a complete offroad newbie on a KDX250 4-stroke).  Rob did amazingly well coming out of the day unscathed and happy as Lawrence.  Zanie, Lance, Caron, Neil (Redrum), DavidM, Graham and I made up the company. Did a big arc down to the mall sector and around to a track we haven't done since 2018, coming out on the northern edge of the Northern Triangle. Curled round to the top of MorningStar where we met up with 7 jovial quadders, who were eyeing the big pond there with various degrees of suspicion and distrust. Thence down to the playground where Lucas and Andrew joined us. Lucas on his latest purchase, a 350 Husky. Beautiful bike. We're all jealous as hell!  Then a quick jol down the Silly track, avoided the life-threatening washaway next to the dump, and took in the delights of the track to the east of the Eskom servitude. Jumped the drainage channel and back to Ace. The dry, out-of-bounds Barrel was big in our thoughts. Alas!  :-\

Thank you, everyone. To have so much fun without actually breaking the law seems impossible. Long may it last!

Track attached:

Here I am at the jumplet. (Thanks Squirrel)

« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 07:04:52 am by Crossed-up »

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
Sunday's going to be a stunner!  No wind, warm enough to be perfect - and the sand is damp and firm. This is your chance!

9am start from Ace Sports, Rivergate Business Park.

Offline McKracken

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
Sunday's going to be a stunner!  No wind, warm enough to be perfect - and the sand is damp and firm. This is your chance!

9am start from Ace Sports, Rivergate Business Park.
Not quite ready, but soon

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Yamaha PW 80,  '92 Fantic Key Roo 249, 98' Suzuki XF650 Freewind, 95' BMW R1100GS, 17' Triumph Tiger XCX, '16 Husqvana 501

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
You've got a lot to do before Sunday!

Offline SquirrelHunter

You just made my day

Sent from a Samsung Fridge -Tapatalk

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
You just made my day

Make mine - come along.

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
Fine ride again. Thanks to DavidM, Santene, Dean, Anton and James.  Excellent ride in a big loop almost to Wolwerivier. Narrowly missed a dune-mole-rat (Bathyergus suillis) on a single track. Despite the obviously big population of them out there, this is the first one I've run into.

I only did 28.7km. But at several places I parked and watched the energetic ones working off steam.  They all must have done well over 30kays.

Track attached:

Edit: Grammar!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 07:13:19 pm by Crossed-up »

Online Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
I miss you guys and the exercise.

Time to get a bike again. Katana, are you selling the 300 now that you have the Husky?
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za