Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Yamaha brand Fail (2012 XT1200z Super Tenere)  (Read 4020 times)

Offline Bikermom

• Puppy
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • It must have 2 wheels!
Re: Yamaha brand Fail (2012 XT1200z Super Tenere)
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2012, 12:02:22 pm »
I also get the stalling at intersections, but I counter that by blipping the throttle just before pulling away. I suspect that the clutch mod will sort that out. i also had the play between the throttle and cable reduced and it also helps in this regard.
Also check your CO setting on idle, I heard there was one up in GP with the same problem but after the CO was set to - 15 the dead spot was gone.
I'm not a tech fundi but also check all the sensor plug's aswell, make sure they are corectly plugged in.

To set the CO is very easy and you dont need any special tool's, try it and if it does'nt work set it back to zero or ask a dealer to do the setting for you.

I think the "adjustments" done in July was just that.
I'll try and remember to mention it when I drop the bike.
Maybe I should write a list.......
Each day is a new ride. :-)
Other bike a Kawa1400GTR
for the looong tar roads.

Offline BennNevis

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2012, 01:21:56 pm »
Hijack on:
I wonder why there is such a difference between North America and South Africa with servicing bikes. It seems that most service their bikes at the dealers to "make sure the bike stays in warrantee". I bet the dealer overfilled the final drive with oil, and that pushed out the seal. Over here you buy a "service package" over the counter with all the fluids(the right amount measured out) and filters and detailed instructions included in a neatly packaged box to do it yourself. I have no "service book" that the dealer needs to stamp with a service record, and have never been asked to produce such a book when selling or trading in my bikes. I do keep the receipts though in case they ask. The same with my cars - no "book of life". Seems like the S.A. dealers intimidate the customers with this "you need to service with me, otherwise no warrantee" and even when they screw it up they blame you for riding your dual sport in muddy conditions.  :imaposer:  Can also assure you they do not use their best, well trained mechanic to do an oil change
Hijack off:
Bud, In Africa you get a Tube of Vaseline when you buy a vehicle! Its all about the money!

This is what we fail to understand. South African buyers allow themselves to be enslaved on a daily basis. You do not need that expensive bike, bakkie, car, TV, etc. Like the stupid population always voting in ANC thieves, so you also buy in expensive dealers.

what is expensive to you might not be expensive to others

Offline basti

• Puppy
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2012, 01:51:02 pm »
Thanks mom, ill chck the probes :thumleft: :thumleft:

........(sounds like some alien kid talking to his mom just before they reach earth fro a nother abduction and subsequint a.. probing)

Offline DirtCopper

• Bikers have more fun than people
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • TAKE ME TO YOUR DEALER
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2012, 03:44:41 pm »
 :sip:
Die SHERIFF van Groothond

Online 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2012, 06:05:32 pm »
Hijack on:
I wonder why there is such a difference between North America and South Africa with servicing bikes. It seems that most service their bikes at the dealers to "make sure the bike stays in warrantee". I bet the dealer overfilled the final drive with oil, and that pushed out the seal. Over here you buy a "service package" over the counter with all the fluids(the right amount measured out) and filters and detailed instructions included in a neatly packaged box to do it yourself. I have no "service book" that the dealer needs to stamp with a service record, and have never been asked to produce such a book when selling or trading in my bikes. I do keep the receipts though in case they ask. The same with my cars - no "book of life". Seems like the S.A. dealers intimidate the customers with this "you need to service with me, otherwise no warrantee" and even when they screw it up they blame you for riding your dual sport in muddy conditions.  :imaposer:  Can also assure you they do not use their best, well trained mechanic to do an oil change
Hijack off:
Bud, In Africa you get a Tube of Vaseline when you buy a vehicle! Its all about the money!

This is what we fail to understand. South African buyers allow themselves to be enslaved on a daily basis. You do not need that expensive bike, bakkie, car, TV, etc. Like the stupid population always voting in ANC thieves, so you also buy in expensive dealers.

what is expensive to you might not be expensive to others

Well, you do not have to be extra bright to click that when people reckon that in SA you buy with the "Vaseline pot", they see it as expensive. "Expensive" also does not nessecarily mean that one cannot afford somrthing, just that that item is overpriced.

Offline Bikermom

• Puppy
  • It must have 2 wheels!
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2012, 08:43:14 am »
Good Morning.

Dropped the Tenere off at Linex and went home on a YBR 250.  :ricky:

On the way to work this morning, I have come to the conclusion that I'm way to heavy for such a bike.  :laughing4: I'm used to a bike with some mass, and 20hp doesn't do it for me anymore. ;)

Shows how spoiled one can get. ::)

Other bike a Kawa1400GTR

Offline BullFrog

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Previously Naartjie
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2012, 09:27:48 am »
Good Morning.

Dropped the Tenere off at Linex and went home on a YBR 250.  :ricky:

On the way to work this morning, I have come to the conclusion that I'm way to heavy for such a bike.  :laughing4: I'm used to a bike with some mass, and 20hp doesn't do it for me anymore. ;)

Shows how spoiled one can get. ::)

Great, Bm!!!!!

Hopefully Linex gets the bike sorted EVENTUALLY!!!!!

I rode my girlfriend's Jonway 125 scooter to the shops on the weekend for the first time!!!!!

Sooooooo weird with the small wheels, brakes on the handle bars and light weight.
‘I just get up every morning and go out. And I don’t let the old man in,’ Clint Eastwood

Offline Advrider

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2012, 11:09:13 am »
Leak at about 11000km and spokes loose and lost a nipple at same km"s. S10
Live to ride, Love to adventure, Ride for Jesus...

Online TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2012, 11:20:47 am »
Leak at about 11000km and spokes loose and lost a nipple at same km"s. S10

Heck, that nipple must have hurt!   :ricky:
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Yami Super 10

• Race Dog
  • 1200 Super 10
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2012, 12:25:53 pm »
Reading this all, seems as there is just a few who have issues. Plus the “no” support from the dealer.

For the amount of ST out there, does not seem that this is a issue?
I have one of the very first “First Edition” ST that arrived in SA. Done over 20000km and then the guys who know me, that was done in a very short time, as this year I have only been in SA for 2months. And a lot of the km has been off-raod. No oil leaks, no brake problems. As for the fueling, well I had the ECU flash done and very happy with it, and of what we can notice is that there might be more power than the clutch mod. But before I say thats concrete, might be a dyno to see the difference.

Getting back to Yamaha SA warranty. I personally rode the bike which was sent back for warranty to Japan. It had a vibration through the frame at certain rpm/speed. Which was reported back that there was a “hard” spot in the final drive which did not allow the frequency to be transferred as what it should be.
The owner received a new bike!
Geduld
Is n stadige manier om jou moer te strip!
Bikes: 2010 & 2019 ST1200
          2014 660XT

Offline Advrider

• Race Dog
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2012, 12:28:11 pm »
Wel dis baie goed en dis presies hoe dit moet wees.

Online Takashi

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2012, 12:36:23 pm »
Getting back to Yamaha SA warranty. I personally rode the bike which was sent back for warranty to Japan. It had a vibration through the frame at certain rpm/speed. Which was reported back that there was a “hard” spot in the final drive which did not allow the frequency to be transferred as what it should be.

How is it that they will sort out a funny vibration under warranty but a serious problem like ABS not working properly and lack of power and and and is ignored.

Must be the different dealerships.
One dealership doing its job the other wiping its ass with the clients concerns.

Offline Yami Super 10

• Race Dog
  • 1200 Super 10
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2012, 12:44:00 pm »

How is it that they will sort out a funny vibration under warranty but a serious problem like ABS not working properly and lack of power and and and is ignored.

Must be the different dealerships.
One dealership doing its job the other wiping its ass with the clients concerns.

Must be that some dealers, bikes/quads/boats and other products is their love for it first and keeping their customers happy, before they think of just making money.
Geduld
Is n stadige manier om jou moer te strip!
Bikes: 2010 & 2019 ST1200
          2014 660XT

Online Bundu

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2012, 01:02:42 pm »
or it could be a male chauvinist dealer, saying "what does a woman know about bikes".....

Offline Advrider

• Race Dog
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2012, 01:39:08 pm »
 :peepwall:

Offline Bikermom

• Puppy
  • It must have 2 wheels!
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2012, 09:14:02 am »
I also get the stalling at intersections, but I counter that by blipping the throttle just before pulling away. I suspect that the clutch mod will sort that out. i also had the play between the throttle and cable reduced and it also helps in this regard.
Also check your CO setting on idle, I heard there was one up in GP with the same problem but after the CO was set to - 15 the dead spot was gone.
I'm not a tech fundi but also check all the sensor plug's aswell, make sure they are corectly plugged in.

To set the CO is very easy and you dont need any special tool's, try it and if it does'nt work set it back to zero or ask a dealer to do the setting for you.

Hi, I heeded your advice.
I found out that the settings where changed to 10 and I must admit, the pop was softer, milder, but still there. Danny is having it set to 15 and we'll see.
I'm sure you're right with that.
They'll check the probes to make sure they are within paramaters.
The equipment says the ABS is working.
They can't find anythig wrong.
I'll just ask Dirtstyle Suzuki to lay another line and if he can, I'll take it back!
And this time, I'm not riding a friggin 250.
He'll use his flippin backpack for his laptop, and give me his Tenere.
Other bike a Kawa1400GTR

Offline Jakkals

• Grey hound
  • I never get lost, I only discover new roads
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2012, 11:04:03 am »
The one I heard of the CO was set to  -15 not +15
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 11:05:19 am by Jakkals »
Remember that hapiness is a way of travel - not a destination.

Online Bundu

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2012, 11:44:55 am »
looking at this thread and the VERY few problems experienced with the S10, a LAUNCH model, I might add, I would say Yamaha Japan have done their homework exceedingly well!
The ONLY hassle I had, was with my OEM fog lights and they were exchanged for new ones.

I previously had the 800GS, which I bought when it was launched - if I remember correctly, there were about 5 recalls on that bike, some safety related....

The S10 is a wonderful bike!  :thumleft:
Yamaha dealers could perhaps sharpen their act... 1/ :thumleft:

Offline Jakkals

• Grey hound
  • I never get lost, I only discover new roads
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2012, 12:11:43 pm »
looking at this thread and the VERY few problems experienced with the S10, a LAUNCH model, I might add, I would say Yamaha Japan have done their homework exceedingly well!
The ONLY hassle I had, was with my OEM fog lights and they were exchanged for new ones.

I previously had the 800GS, which I bought when it was launched - if I remember correctly, there were about 5 recalls on that bike, some safety related....

The S10 is a wonderful bike!  :thumleft:
Yamaha dealers could perhaps sharpen their act... 1/ :thumleft:
Stem 100 % saam, daar is/was wel 'n paar klein foutjies maar nie naastenby so baie soos wat daar nou nog op ander brand's is wat al lank in die tand is nie en al due is vir replacement.

Gelukig kan ons hier in die Suid Kaap nie kla oor ons handelaar nie, George Yamaha is tops en glo aan customer service bou 'n besigheid. :thumleft:
Remember that hapiness is a way of travel - not a destination.

Offline Hagar

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2012, 07:10:08 pm »
Danny Mulder, owner of Linex phoned. He wants to Dyno the bike.

I want the front brake and the stalling sorted.
Also adjusted back to how it was when I had bought it, as that hadn't changed anything except making a bit 'moeg'.

Allan North from Yamaha mailed me, that he has instructed Danny to sort it. So I'll go that route one more time.

(@basti. I've been told that the pop and stall could be slightly faulty landing probe. One of them needs to be only slightly outside it's paramater to cause that. Especially when the weather is warmer, which is how it happens with mine. Those things going to your x-haust are said probes.Uncouple them and ride your bike. Won't harm the bike, only give you a warning. If the pop and stall stops you have your answer. I haven't gotten to it yet, but will ask Linex to check them.)

The SuperTenere is a fun bike. :biggrin:
I just want mine to be right. >:(

If these are wideband sensors (heated) I would not  run them unconnected, as it may potentially damage them.  As far as I know.