Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Wild Dog Annual Bash V BMW Eco Challenge  (Read 3437 times)

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
Re: Wild Dog Annual Bash V BMW Eco Challenge
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2012, 03:01:44 pm »
I wont go to the ECO because I really wont like to be around hundreds of BMW riders.

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline ButchH

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Ми тебе тиснути
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2012, 03:04:15 pm »
I would be fucking scared of a grownup who thinks he is a Jedi Knight
GSA 1150
XL 250
GS 1200

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2012, 04:51:11 pm »
I would be fucking scared of a grownup who thinks he is a Jedi Knight

And rightly you should be!  :biggrin:
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline da PEEG

• "So far, everything that has surprised me has been completely unexpected."
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2012, 05:53:40 pm »
To each its own:

The BASH for me is getting there (doing a trip though unknown roads) and mingling with the keyboard people who inevitably become your friends, people you know...
The guys that want to hit the sauce do so, the others don't, but your are part of something bigger...

The ECO (first time this year) is about riding the routes and testing your abilities, strangely the guys I hanged out with were all dogs  :patch:
They made my ECO and the effort with setting up the routes were much appreciated.

Why want 2 similar events?  

I did enjoy both and have made up my mind to both again next year  :thumleft:  

:laughing4: WOT HE SEZ...   :laughing4:

They're both different - each having something special that the other does not have - so if I can, I'll keep going to both (as well as regional bashed closer to me).
BMW R1150GSA(Sidecar);  Yamaha XT660R

Offline The Badger

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Thank you SADF
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2012, 06:49:03 pm »
Hey Jon,

Good question. Went to both and like GeeS both where a first for me.

I LOVED both of them and will go again with my wife. I think the cost was really reasonable for both.

R500 for the bash.

R1000 for the Eco..........and the only real difference to me was that at the Eco our food was cooked for us AND

The routes were marked with awesome access to private land and with a DIRECTION.... making it safer.

On the other hand we are grown ups and shouldnt need any molly coddling.

I really did enjoy the bike games at the Eco and think there should be more at the Bash........Fun games.

I always thought that the Bm get to gethers would be a boring regimented gathering...........I was WRONG. It was unexpectedly fun and the grade of the routes were nice and high.

Another nice difference was that all 600 odd ridrs could fit in one place and have dinner together.

Both were very lekker and I will attend both as long as I can..... :thumleft:

Good friends and fresh mud......

It is not about what you ride...... but WHO you ride with !

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2012, 07:25:25 pm »
600 at the National Bash? :eek:

I resign from my job as IDR's lieutenant.

National Bashes is there to meet and kuier with fellow WD's who you have met and spoken to on the forum.

How you experience it, is up to you.

Cost is always an issue. Venue as well. 100% of the time we rely on input from fellow members on suggestions for a venue.

Our aim: Cheap as possible, enough food, enough booze, decent facilities, awesome routes to and surrounding the venue an  almost no rules.

Over the years we have never had issues with bad behaviour. The odd revving of bikes in small hours of the morning, burn-outs in the bar (we actually support that :biggrin:)

What a disappointment for the locals at Vanderkloof!  :imaposer:

He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Leo

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2012, 07:35:33 pm »
For me the bash is about meeting old friends, meeting new ones and putting a face to the major kark praters and henties that we see here on the forum, checking out the other bikes, what works, what is clever ideas, etc.  :laughing4:

I don't give a shit about going for a ride on the Saturday.   :3some:

Hell I haven't seen Funacide since I visited him in hospital after his major off - sad  ??? ..... and there are many more  :(

I do not like to take (any) leave to attend a bash - I use my leave for trips that I plan myself to places I would like to see  :thumleft:

I would, at max, slip away from the office on a Friday afternoon, hang on the cable to get to the destination, kuier 'n hond uit 'n bos, then take a more relaxed ride back on the Sunday via the unbeaten track.

Therefor if a bash in not within a 700 km radius, sorry I'm gonna pass.

The Eco is something totally different. Been to the old GS challenge before it became a financial rip-off. Yes we kuiered a hond uit 'n bos, no way we were suddenly going to put on our best behaviours just because.....

The routes were the main attraction as you access farm lands that are generally closed otherwise.

Leave the bashed as they are. Those that can, will attend. You can never please all.  

;)
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2012, 07:37:52 pm »

National Bashes is there to meet and kuier with fellow WD's who you have met and spoken to on the forum.

Cost is always an issue. Venue as well. 100% of the time we rely on input from fellow members on suggestions for a venue.

Our aim: Cheap as possible, enough food, enough booze, decent facilities, awesome routes to and surrounding the venue an  almost no rules.

Over the years we have never had issues with bad behaviour. The odd revving of bikes in small hours of the morning, burn-outs in the bar (we actually support that :biggrin:)

What a disappointment for the locals at Vanderkloof!  :imaposer:

In defense of the organisers, there are a number of the old school of Forum members who push for a minimum of "frills" keep it honest, dont trailer in, dont stay in a hotel, your bike should carry you and your gear, not a back up backie, not everybodies views but there are a few.  :peepwall:
An aspiring Coddiwompler
I want to grow my own food, looking for Bacon seeds

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2012, 07:48:37 pm »

Our aim: Cheap as possible, enough food, enough booze, decent facilities, awesome routes to and surrounding the venue an  almost no rules.

What a disappointment for the locals at Vanderkloof!  :imaposer:

In defense of the organisers, there are a number of the old school of Forum members who push for a minimum of "frills" keep it honest, dont trailer in, dont stay in a hotel, your bike should carry you and your gear, not a back up backie, not everybodies views but there are a few.  :peepwall:

Your wheels at Vanderkloof, in the back ground. And some other sports. Thought that little dingy is gonna go down with you 3 huge farkers in it. :biggrin:

Raka didn't know much.  :imaposer:

« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:50:34 pm by JourneyMan »
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2012, 08:13:19 pm »

The last National Bash was great , everything was perfect  , thanks organizers  :thumleft:. Lekker routes to get there , the bash itself was not rough at all , it was quite sedate and lekker. Food and ablutions were good . Only complaint I heard was about the DJ Jules Ď s taste in music  :mwink:, but fortunately MJ and K stepped in  . :biggrin: :biggrin:

Have never been to the Eco, but went to 2 similar  BMW weekends  and also 3 CABC events. Those are not a holiday . The organizer spend months planning the routes and the recce guys many weekends to explore and plan  .  They have green , orange and red routes , and a skills challenge which is exciting to take part in , and to watch . You leave the weekend feeling exhilarated, exhausted and pleased that you tested and improved yourself riding wise. Never been to one of those that I didnít end up doing obstacles that I had to really push through my fears .

The Bashes have a different focus , the focus on  being social . What I like is the freedom to make it what you want it to be. So you could ride to the Bash as hard or as softly as you want, on whatever route takes your fancy,  and with whoever you wanted, but once there you chilled , relaxed , ate , drank, enjoyed the beautiful scenery and caught up with friends .   :thumleft:

I think at a National Bash it would be difficult to organize the three different routes, because you would need a dedicated recce team in place to go scout the routes, dedicated leaders and sweeps on the rides  ,and you would have to have an excellent medical backup plan if someone has an accident , a very real threat on events like that .  And I suspect even if the organizers went to all that trouble many / most? of us would still rather stay at the venue and chill, because we havenít seen our friends for so long , and because most of us have just spent 2/3 days riding to get to the venue.

At the WC WD Bashes we have outrides, but itís easier to manage because our local riding gods already know the areas well , and itís not far for them to go recce and not far from home if you have an off.

I think perhaps most of us already ride challenging stuff on weekends and donít really go to the National Bash for a riding challenge, but want to be social . And for that it is perfecto.  :thumleft:  :thumleft:

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2012, 09:58:46 pm »
It is like comparing a 990 to an 800.  Not the same party and not aimed at the same market.  There are some overlaps, but more differences.  Nothing wrong with either.  It seems like you generally go the the ECO to ride your bike with friends, and bashes are more about parking your bike and socialize with friends. 
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2012, 10:08:40 pm »
It is like comparing a 990 to an 800.  Not the same party and not aimed at the same market.  There are some overlaps, but more differences.  Nothing wrong with either.  It seems like you generally go the the ECO to ride your bike with friends, and bashes are more about parking your bike and socialize with friends
Dis nou wragtag goed gestel. Spoton SGB!! :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2012, 10:26:33 pm »
It is like comparing a 990 to an 800.  Not the same party and not aimed at the same market.  There are some overlaps, but more differences.  Nothing wrong with either.  It seems like you generally go the the ECO to ride your bike with friends, and bashes are more about parking your bike and socialize with friends
Dis nou wragtag goed gestel. Spoton SGB!! :thumleft:

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline Leo

« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2012, 10:28:26 pm »
SGB spot on  :thumleft:
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline White Rhino

• Race Dog
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2012, 02:28:52 am »
It is like comparing a 990 to an 800.  Not the same party and not aimed at the same market.  There are some overlaps, but more differences.  Nothing wrong with either.  It seems like you generally go the the ECO to ride your bike with friends, and bashes are more about parking your bike and socialize with friends. 

:laughing4: So what you're saying is, I should buy a 990 :imaposer:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, KTM500, KTM990 Adv, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2012, 03:37:07 am »

Our aim: Cheap as possible, enough food, enough booze, decent facilities, awesome routes to and surrounding the venue an  almost no rules.

What a disappointment for the locals at Vanderkloof!  :imaposer:

Your wheels at Vanderkloof, in the back ground. And some other sports. Thought that little dingy is gonna go down with you 3 huge farkers in it. :biggrin:

Raka didn't know much.  :imaposer:

True, shouldnt preach :xxbah: :peepwall:
An aspiring Coddiwompler
I want to grow my own food, looking for Bacon seeds

Offline Cave Girl

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2012, 04:32:16 am »
Hoping the next National is not over month end :-) cause I would hate to miss it!! **can we please keep them EXACTLY as they are!**  Also agree if it gets bigger than the 200 mark won't be as much fun as there won't be enough time to meet everyone :-) Interesting point .. Vandderkloof had both "soft" and rough facilities but was not as well attended? So is it not more about timing than anything else?
Because its a National Bash some distance is a given and considering how vast our country is the problem is not going to go away! It was great having "families" at the last bash so taking a few days off and spending it with wife/husband/kids is possible :-) even if it means your forum name has to change afterwards ;-)
Like a Bat .... have a unique vision to search SUCCESS in the DARK -

Offline Veldbrand

• Super Saaiber Slet
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Hou die blink kant in!
    • Koedoeskloof Country Lodge
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2012, 09:11:11 am »
Hoping the next National is not over month end :-) cause I would hate to miss it!! **can we please keep them EXACTLY as they are!**  Also agree if it gets bigger than the 200 mark won't be as much fun as there won't be enough time to meet everyone :-) Interesting point .. Vandderkloof had both "soft" and rough facilities but was not as well attended? So is it not more about timing than anything else?
Because its a National Bash some distance is a given and considering how vast our country is the problem is not going to go away! It was great having "families" at the last bash so taking a few days off and spending it with wife/husband/kids is possible :-) even if it means your forum name has to change afterwards ;-)
:imaposer: :imaposer:
Very sneaky Sista!
Should have stayed PinkSwi.... :peepwall:
True colours and all that. :biggrin:

Co-ordinates: S33 30.300 E21 10.258  http://www.koedoeskloof.co.za/  facebook - Koedoeskloof Country Lodge, Dwarsrivier, Ladismith, WC
Life is like hitch hiking, just when you think you're not going to get a lift, you don't.

Offline Sithe

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • gewig versplasing
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2012, 09:15:18 am »
No one is mentioning the middle finger salute that is so prevalent at WD bashes  :pot: :peepwall:
I operate at a level supreme to the devil

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2012, 09:17:44 am »
  :laughing4: :laughing4: Yes funny Cavegirl , but also true , its nice to see the "softer" side of the tough guys  :biggrin:.  think its great to see the guys bring their wives and kids along . Gives the Bash a lekker family atmoshphere . :thumleft: :thumleft: