Sani Pass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DR BIG 750

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR 750S Big
I did Sani last weekend , we left Jhb for a pleasant weeknd ride to Sani & back on Sunday. I checked a lot of  weather forecast & I have decided  they are all kak, from the forecasted pleasant weather, light breeze & a soft drizzle on the pass it turbed out to be the wettest, windiest weekend in post boer war history.
anyway to the ride, myself on the old schooler DR 750 my bud Greg on a Trans Alp & his son Doug on a Super 10; we headed out to the Vaal Dam over the wall then on to Oranjeville, the roads are very tired these days more sand than tar. through Oranjeville then over old single span steel bridge along  another crappy disintergrating road then off on to some good okd sand road to Franfort for good few km's. From frankort along to Reitz for breakfast & some great  biltong at Hennies local butchery,
After breaki the clouds were building with ominous prospects, so we hit the road to Sterkfontein dam  & Olviershoek pass, the wind had been increasing all along & unfortunatly swinging to the front. the Sterkfontein road must be the worst "tar road " I have ever seen. I rode it about 3 years ago en route Margate when they were doing repairs with the stop go system operating while working on  the one side of the road. Now only some of the road work signs remain, lots of gravel & loose stone from chopped up road , the repairs have been abandoned with some materials left behind, the road is a huge stepped pothole with a peice of tar here & there linked together with the odd peice of tar. along the crappy road is a the beautiful widswept shoreline of Sterkfontein dam. about 30 odd km later we came over the Oliviershoek pass , the change in temp was quite incredible  a sign of things to come

Attachments

• s1.JPG
    s1.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 563
  • s2.JPG
    s2.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 556
  • s3.JPG
    s3.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 559
  • s4.JPG
    s4.JPG