Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW 650 GT Scooter  (Read 4904 times)

Offline Gat Slag

• Bike: BMW F800GS
Re: BMW 650 GT Scooter
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2012, 07:41:40 am »
 :happy1:

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2012, 07:57:51 am »
I'm just in awe of the fact that BMW can sell a scooter for more than the price of a small car and people are almost falling over themselves to buy it!

I really really really wish their marketing department worked me!
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline NeilV

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
    • My Flickr account
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2012, 08:04:08 am »
I'm just in awe of the fact that BMW can sell a scooter for more than the price of a small car and people are almost falling over themselves to buy it!

I really really really wish their marketing department worked me!

The problem is, you keep seeing it as "just a scooter". It's not just a scooter.  :deal:

This is the perfect bike for any commuter and has WAY more functionality than most R100k bikes that "real men" buy. I personally would love to own a maxi scoot just so that I don't have to use my Tiger for commuting.
Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.

Offline lecap

« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2012, 08:10:41 am »
Scooters are certainly not for everyone, but if you need storage for your helmets satchel and lipstic under your seat - a scooter is your answer...

Ok you convinced me I take the white one next to the fat ou with the red helmet :lol8:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 08:12:06 am by lecap »
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Pullaway

• Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2012, 08:28:09 am »
LeCap, do the guy honestly look fat to you - or are you just trying to sell a set of progressive springs for his KLE?
It's better to burn out than to fade away!

Offline Doringboom

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2012, 08:44:24 am »
Hierdie BMW bromponie (= scooter) moet ‘n baie goeie kompromie wees tussen die vermoë om snelweg-tipe snelhede te kan ry en goeie hantering in opgedamde verkeer :thumleft:

Ek het ‘n 150cc Chinees waarmee ek elke dag ry (Pretoria Moot – middestad). Ek het nog nooit vinniger as 70km/h gery nie (hy “red line” op 80km/h) want ek HOEF nie vinniger te ry nie. Ek raak dikwels amper bang as ek na ‘n rit sit en terugdink oor hoe ek deur die opgedamde verkeer gevleg het om by die werk / huis te kom. Maar as ‘n mens weer op die saal gaan sit, dan kom daai rymaniere sommer vanself by ‘n mens op – jy kan nie anderste nie! Ek het NOOIT ‘n probleem met verkeersdruk nie, want ek bly aan’t beweeg en die duur van my rit bly min of meer konstant :ricky:

Ek kan nie glo dat nie meer mense bromponies ry nie. Selfs die manne met die groot motorfietse sukkel maar in die opgedamde verkeer en as jy eers “panniers” opgesit het, dan moet jy meeste van die tyd maar saam met die karre in die ry val en dan kon jy net sowel maar met jou kar gery het (soos wat Le Cap se opinie is ‘n entjie terug).

Maar ek gee toe: Ons bly in 'n vry land (so word daar gesê) en elkeen kan ry waarmee hy / sy wil as hy / sy graag daarin of daarop gesien wil word ;D

Offline badseed

• Ride the adventure
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • KTM 990S, KTM690R , Vespa 200GT
    • www.wildwood.capetown
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2012, 08:47:36 am »
Vespa 300 R80000, BMW650 R100000.  Ones a big real world bike , the other a city point & squirt. And they sell lots of Vespas. (Including one to me)

I think both machines are very sharp tools, excellent at what they are designed for.
Owner WildWood Motorcycle Tours South Africa

Offline lecap

« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2012, 09:57:27 am »
LeCap, do the guy honestly look fat to you - or are you just trying to sell a set of progressive springs for his KLE?
next to that white piece of equipment everything looks fat and ugly :evil6:
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline blainec

• Bike: BMW R80GS
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2012, 10:21:23 am »
 As I thought in typical wilddog style there is much brand bashing and " but it is not a gs or dual sport " mentality.

Guys this is an alternative to try something different , I have a GS ADV and a KTM 690 . I do not want a cheap small car made in India, China, or Brazil with 10 inch wheels that will struggle to get keep to the speed limit on the highway.

I also do not want to comute on any bike everyday no matter what it is.

What I do want is if I have a meeting in PTA and it is a lekker day to take the scoot knowing I can keep up or ahead of the traffic and have some fun.

I agree that it is not everyone's cup of tea , and it may be expensive , but it is fun.

Why not go and take a test ride it may just be a revaluation.

Life is too short , have an open mind try different things. Have an opinion when you have at least tried the product.
I am not here for a long time , I am here for a good time !

BMW R 1200 GS LC
BMW R 80 GS
Harley Fatboy ( yeah I Know !)

Offline Paul86

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2012, 10:56:54 am »
As I thought in typical wilddog style there is much brand bashing and " but it is not a gs or dual sport " mentality.

Guys this is an alternative to try something different , I have a GS ADV and a KTM 690 . I do not want a cheap small car made in India, China, or Brazil with 10 inch wheels that will struggle to get keep to the speed limit on the highway.

What I do want is if I have a meeting in PTA and it is a lekker day to take the scoot knowing I can keep up or ahead of the traffic and have some fun.

I agree that it is not everyone's cup of tea , and it may be expensive , but it is fun.

Life is too short , have an open mind try different things. Have an opinion when you have at least tried the product.

Well said! :thumleft:

Offline bronzy

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • the older i get the faster i was !!!
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2012, 11:53:14 am »

buy a Harley  :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline BennNevis

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2012, 01:22:01 pm »
Nah he does not sell progressive springs, does he?

Offline Grondpad ™

• Ek laaik tiet kwaai....... :)
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2012, 02:14:42 pm »
Congrats!  Please give us a ride report.......... 

Offline BrandsiekBrak

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Formerly known as Lycan
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2012, 06:56:59 pm »
I love these scoots
If you are packed for adventure, you can never be lost or late

Previously know as Lycan after getting bitten...
but then became infected

Offline blainec

• Bike: BMW R80GS
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2012, 07:10:07 pm »

buy a Harley  :imaposer: :imaposer:

There are a Fat Boy and a Road King in the garage  :ricky:
I am not here for a long time , I am here for a good time !

BMW R 1200 GS LC
BMW R 80 GS
Harley Fatboy ( yeah I Know !)

Offline BennNevis

« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2012, 08:44:13 pm »
So i rode one today and enjoyed it! First pull off bit strange with the lag but once going its a breeze, easy to handle nicely nippy as hell 100-150 comes up very quickly! Felt very stable at 150km/h. Will i buy one? Nope nice but i prefer getting a leg over

Offline Teapot

• "Ride long Live forever"
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • "RIDE LONG AND LIVE FOREVER"
    • http://www.digitalrealitydesigns.yolasite.com
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2012, 07:05:26 am »
How can you allow the KTM to get dusty. Sis man! :)
"FALL DOWN 7, STAND UP 8."
"NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SAY DIE!"

Offline Heddles

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2012, 02:03:21 pm »

It's amazing how almost any topic, related to either style of motorcycle, brand or age of the machine, will produce an array of opinions. Some of which I could sometimes relate to as emotions.. For as long as I have been riding bikes, about 36 years, I have listened to and read about debates similar to this about preferences in motorcycling. I think that the major manufacturers have caught on to this and decided to test the concept to it's limits!!! Look at the choices we have in motorcycles.. Holy CRAP!!! There are literally hundreds of options one could choose from! Beauty of it is though thank God!! Is that we are all entitled to make that choice. I think scooters are as cool as a superbikes, as DS bikes, as a cheap old school "scrambler" , as a Harley, as a classic.. A bike is a bike and like the way we like to dress, there is one for everyone out there... As long as it has two wheels, it makes sense to someone... Ride it and enjoy it...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 03:44:42 pm by Heddles »

Offline 2wh33ls

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2012, 12:43:58 pm »
I got th GT version to work on Friday, I did not work at all the morning, every guy wanted to go and check this scooter out.

Never happened to my new 2012 GS or my Bmw s1000RR

go figure

But what a ride if I had R121k to waist will be on this just to mess around, heated seats +1

Offline Tawwejan

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2012, 09:30:20 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this BM sounds like a Scooter and not like a 650.

Is this engine also built by Kymco like their 450's?
Bikes owned: Suzuki DR200,  Honda CBX250 Twister, Honda Transalp 650
Bajaj Avenger 180 DSTi, 2x Yamaha XT660R, Honda NX650 Dominator (XR650L engine)
Suzuki DR650, BMW 650 Dakar, SYM JET 200, Honda NC750X, BMW 800 GS ( Current ).