Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DR650SE Chain & Sprocket Guide  (Read 872 times)

Offline Brodes

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Don't ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
DR650SE Chain & Sprocket Guide
« on: October 30, 2012, 12:55:38 pm »
First of all, let me state up front that I make no claim to being a mechanical engineer or powertrain expert. However, in trying to decide on what chain/sprocket combo (ie 520 or 525 chain and what sprockets) to use for my DR650SE when I change/upgrade the chain and sprockets (the bike still has the stock OEM chain and sprockets) I conducted some research on the internet, referring to the various DS forums and vendor sites for info and recommendations.
The following is a summary of my findings and is made available for those dogs who may find it handy. Use it Ė donít use it, but note that it comes with the usual disclaimers.
Hinc Orior
R1200R
R1200GS
DR650SE, DRZ400E, 300XC-W, CR230F, Montesa Cota 315 R

Offline eikeboom

Re: DR650SE Chain & Sprocket Guide
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 11:50:14 pm »
Thanks, some interesting facts there.
On changing the sprocket ratio, the website www.gearingcommander.com has a table that shows what the ideal sprocket ratios are (for probably all bikes, one fills in the blocks with your bike's make & model and all the gearing info pops up), with the view on getting the longest life out of your combination. It also shows the changes in final gear ratio, rpm and road speed as you change the sprocket teeth. Only one sprocket combination gives you optimal lifespan - it has to do with more wear when a sprocket tooth always catches the same link on the chain, when you use certain combinations.
Cheers
Let's go into the mountains...there's likely to be peace and quiet

Offline Manfred

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 09:01:02 am »
Excellent read Brodes, thank you very much.
Will come in handy when replacing.

Offline DikZol

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Jer 1:17-19
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 09:07:19 am »
Ping LeCap!!!!

Offline Brodes

• Don't ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 12:26:15 pm »
Thanks, some interesting facts there.
On changing the sprocket ratio, the website www.gearingcommander.com has a table that shows what the ideal sprocket ratios are (for probably all bikes, one fills in the blocks with your bike's make & model and all the gearing info pops up), with the view on getting the longest life out of your combination. It also shows the changes in final gear ratio, rpm and road speed as you change the sprocket teeth. Only one sprocket combination gives you optimal lifespan - it has to do with more wear when a sprocket tooth always catches the same link on the chain, when you use certain combinations.
Cheers

Nice web site. WIll definitely spend some time playing with different combo's to experiment before committing to an upgrade.
Thanks
Hinc Orior
R1200R
R1200GS
DR650SE, DRZ400E, 300XC-W, CR230F, Montesa Cota 315 R

Offline pielas

• Moderator: Hunting and Shooting Section
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Don't dream it. Be it.
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 11:53:01 am »
Thanks Brodes, very useful. Will definitely consider the 520 when its time for new sprockets & chan.

Nice meeting you at the Northwest bash. Trust you had a lekker ride back.
5. Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the
skid demon!  --- 1962 Honda instruction manual

Offline Antoon

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 09:47:42 am »
Thanks Brodes this will make life a lot easier. Keep the excellent advise going!

Offline Riptide099

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 07:57:57 pm »
This is amazing. Thanks for putting all this info into one file, exactly what I was looking for!
+1
"A seal walks into a club..."

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 09:38:41 am »
My experience with the DR650's 525 chains is that they get up to around 28,000km before they need to go into the scrap metal bin.
Bikes with 520 chains typically did not get much more than 20,000km.

Based on ru(i)n(n)ing dozens of bike hire bikes for about a decade. DR650SE's, KLR's & F650GS / GSD. All bikes on PBR sprockets & DID X-ring chains.
Means it looks as if its the more ecomnmic solution to use a 525 chain since it lasts 40% longer whilst only costing 20% more (in a chain & sprocket kit). If you count labour for replacement it gets even cheaper.

I never compared 520 vs. 525 directly on the DR's just assumed service life would be about the same as on a KLR or F

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Umko

• Bike: Yamaha XT600
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 05:38:30 pm »
Can any of you guys advise me whether the side of the front sprocket with the raised section should be facing in or out?
On the one I've removed the flat sprocket face faced out and the bossed face in.
Brodes's drawings show the raised face but don't enable me to see which way it should point.