Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Exploring the Kuilsriver (Laziest of the Cape's mighty water features)  (Read 1242 times)

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
Possibly one of South Africa‚??s least impressive water arteries.

At just over 30km in length, its origin is in the hills of Durbanville. Not in the splendid vineyards but at the base of a refuse site near the sports grounds. It flows almost directly south, past my neighbourhood, down and down towards the ocean but never quite reaching it.
It‚??s not a wide river, indeed, where it flows past my area it is only about 2 metres across. I am told much of it runs underground at this point. But on the outskirts of the town of Kuilsriver (soon to be swallowed up by the greater Cape Metropole) the river is violently expelled from the earth and it forms a stream in places over 20metres wide!

And as it passes under Stellenbosch Road, it suddenly and mysteriously dwindles back into a metre-wide sliver as it curves through the flat terrain of Blue Downs.
The unmighty Kuilsriver unceremoniously terminates near the N2 highway in a vacant marshland between Kayalitsha and Macassar, possibly slurped up by the rancid Eerste River.

But even such crude geological features as the Kuilsriver has something wonderful to offer. I decided to examine a tiny part of it, 2km of it to be exact. This is my testimony:

The Playground - assembled from Google Earth screenshots

The elevated R300 interchange and the N1 highway
The fields are covered by purple flowers. An invasive Australian species called Salvation Sally. Over here it is better known as Patterson‚??s Curse.

There are some single spoor trails but mostly you have to ride through grass lands and force your way through thickets and a small Poplar Forest.

Close to this picture I made an interesting discovery. After riding along a particularly nasty single-spoor track, I happened on a Bergie community.
Hidden amongst trees they were. Around 10 or 15 people in various stages of bewilderment. Two children slowly ducked down into the tall grass like lions stalking deer. The women stared at me with vacant expressions while two men slowly creeped closer to me. One of the men raised his arms and moaned, the other gurgled some guttural command and they hobbled closer to me, slowly picking up speed.
It looked like a scene from Dawn of the Dead and I quickly brought the DR round and charged out of there.
They were probably harmless folk who wanted to beg for alms but I was tempted to believe they were Zombies and I the last survivor in a post-apocalyptic waste!

Test your bike‚??s ground clearance without damaging the bash plate or frame.

Except for the Poplars and Weeping Willows there is one other invasive tree; Port Jackson. The ones along the Kuilsriver are slowly dying thanks to Genetic Engineering. All of them are infected by a particularly nasty fungus that distort and cripple the plants. Wood seem melted and branches thin and fragile. The fungus was created in a lab and attack only Port Jackson. The infection has limited ability and cannot travel far without human assistance.

We gotchar mud an everthin‚??‚?¶

Poplar forest

A wee crossing
The riverbed is shallow but the water smells funky.

Another crossing near the highway. I suspect there may be a small amount of raw sewage in the water‚?¶best not to fall in it‚?¶and if you do, keep your mouth closed

The Tunnel of Terror!
You can ride down it to the other side of the N1

Thanks, that's it
O0
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 01:09:32 pm by LuckyStriker »

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
Re: Exploring the Kuilsriver (Laziest of the Cape's mighty water features)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 12:51:45 pm »
Thank you for sharing.
Never underestimate the power of denial.
Briek Merke ... wat ek so hier en daar op my lewenspad sien of los.

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 01:03:53 pm »
A river runs through it.  In the old days the Portuguese seafarers used the Kuilrivier (no such thing as a Kuilsriver as there is no such thing as BloemFountain) to gain access to the town of Kuilsrivier (from Valsbay off course), where they duly and spiritedly opened the first Pererra Bottlestore and started to farm with flies.  The church later blocked the river to deny them access to their suppliers, because the dear people of Kuilsrivier were having too much fun - they were irritated by the flies too.  In those days the river was a raging 2-lane torrent, with shipping lanes and everything, but alas after they blocked the river to feed Mitchell Complain's sub-terrainian water supplies - the once mighty Kuilsrivier is no more....  

H

Offline growweblaar

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Somerset West
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 01:28:08 pm »
Nice to see a real dirt report from within a metropolitan area  :)

LS, that bike looks classic! When can we expect a "First Impressions" report?

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 01:50:20 pm »
I really like that DR,they look cool with the long range tank.Ditto on the ride report.
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 02:22:15 pm »
A river runs through it.  In the old days the Portuguese seafarers used the Kuilrivier (no such thing as a Kuilsriver as there is no such thing as BloemFountain) to gain access to the town of Kuilsrivier (from Valsbay off course), where they duly and spiritedly opened the first Pererra Bottlestore and started to farm with flies.  The church later blocked the river to deny them access to their suppliers, because the dear people of Kuilsrivier were having too much fun - they were irritated by the flies too.  In those days the river was a raging 2-lane torrent, with shipping lanes and everything, but alas after they blocked the river to feed Mitchell Complain's sub-terrainian water supplies - the once mighty Kuilsrivier is no more.... 

H

This is a part of history that is very much unknown to the even the locals...........

............even a well-informed citizen like myself ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline keithk

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 08:10:06 pm »
Hi there a big thank you for the story and history behind the Kuilsriver , we drive past it so often and yet we do not know anything about it! Thanks very interesting  :)
ROUTE DIFFICULTY:1 = tar
2 = good gravel /pillion friendly
3 = interspersed with sand, mud, sand , bush / not pillion friendly
4 = lots of sand, technical riding
5 = expert only (we are not worthy, still to meet one)