Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Rallyerider @ Merzouga Rally in Morocco  (Read 2368 times)

Online SteveD

Re: Rallyerider @ Merzouga Rally in Morocco
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 04:47:15 pm »
BRETT FINISHED 3rd AFTER STAGE 3 (238km) OF MERZOUGA RALLY(Edited info from Merzouga Rally Media Release)

The third stage of the Merzouga Rally took the competitors north of Merzouga for 238 kms of selective sectors. After the start in th...e big dunes of the Erg Chebbi, the riders head north to Erfoud to tackle a varied terrain of rocky river beds fast track, camel grass and finally the big soft dunes on the way back to the bivouac.
The stage, characterized by a variety of all the terrain and difficulties of a true African Rally was also challenging for the navigation.
Polish Jacek Czachor claimed the win of the third stage in front of Italian Giovanni Sala and South African Brett Cummings.
Brett Cummings (RSA): “It was a really nice stage with lots of fast tracks and dunes. The navigation was very challenging today especially in the 80km ring among the 2 refuelling points where I had to slow down a bit in order to follow the road book without making mistakes. I think I overspeed twice in 2 areas of speed limits, so I have to see which will be my final position for today. I’m getting more confortable with the navigation. We are here for training for the Dakar where I will compete with the GHR Honda Australia with Glen Grundy, my team mate”.

Online SteveD

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 04:53:35 pm »
Nice pics, must be awesome. Wonder if Glen just did not start again? If he got home late they should have been able to fix his bike. ???

You have spies on the ground there?
From Glen via FB:
"I came in so late last night that the finish marshals had packed up the post. Ble...w a head gasket at halfway, but nursed the poor bike (oil and water everywhere) to the finish. You can do that with a rental bike!!
Missed 8 waypionts due to bad light, but once I had reported to race HQ, they put me back in the race  :thumleft: - starting around 42nd today. Borrowing a team bike off some poor Italian who is not taking well to the Moroccan food - so all is good."

Online SteveD

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 04:58:02 pm »
Merzouga Rally Stage 4 unofficial results

Brett Cummings did not have a great day  :( as he has been suffering from a stomach bug since last night. He said the stage was really tough while the navigation GPS and roadbook compass bearings were out. He made a few wrong turns of which "one was an 18km long mistake"...
Said Brett: Oh well, at least we are learning how to get unlost as well..."  :imaposer:
Glen Grundy is still racing as well  :ricky:

SS4 270 km - unofficial Lap times
1. Czacor Orlen Team
2. Nicolas Cardona - Team Venezuela
3. Cesare Zacchetti
4. Pedro Bianchi Prata
5, Maurizio Micheluz
6. Matteo Rizzi
7. Michot Frederic
8. Mario Patrao
9. Alex Busquets Tarragona Leyenda Dakar
11. Antonio valero Antonio Ramos