Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Amageza prep  (Read 3538 times)

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
Amageza prep
« on: November 02, 2012, 08:23:13 am »
SO what is every one doing to get ready for the Amageza?

on day two of 40 cardio endurance training program. Dont to much time in the saddle out here at the moment, been rain season (aka summer)

but soon  :ricky:

Interested to hear what others are doing?
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline tau

• hasbeen and a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
Re: Amageza prep
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 10:12:43 am »
I eat and drink way too much then I start loosing weight just before the event and feel so much lighter....mind f@#K. :mwink:
2021 Yamaha YZ 450 FX
2021 Yamaha T7 Tenere
1981 Yamaha TT600

Offline Buff

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 10:31:18 am »
I'm still not sure if I can scrape the bucks together to be there but I've started training for it anyway, just in case my situation changes in the new year.
Riding the mountain bike every 2nd day and the dirt bike whenever I can (which is probably twice a week). As soon as I can shake this lingering summer head cold then I'll be starting circuit training at the gym combined with a bit of swimming.
The diet will have to wait till January as it's pointless trying to lose weight over the Dec holidays  :)

Hopefully by the end of summer things will start coming together.

Oh ja, I'll also be entering the Cape Offroad series next year, that alone is enough motivation to get my shit together  :)
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 11:55:54 am »

I have to get fit, I know this, but training will have to wait till Jan , till then just get some bum time on the seat and ride as much as possible to get some confidence, busy at work now and kid with exams takes a lot of my time, after I get back from holiday in Dec I will hit the gym.

Regarding the bike I am not sure.. there will be a lot to do, I have not figured out how to mount the road book, GPS etc yet alone how to power it all up, but there are a few okes who have offered to help.. will bug them in the new year.. baby steps, and also I am sponsor dependant so at the moment I am sending out sponsor requests.. see what the net catches.

I think with a lot of the WC okes we will plan training rides and weekends just to make sure my old knees can deal with it.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 12:25:25 pm »
Bike ...sorted
Road book....have one and now need to learn how to use it while riding.

Training....

walking an hour a day, to get my old body started. This I'll do for November. December start running and some home gyming
January..really start with the fitness and strength training.

Riding....

I plan to ride at least every weekend. One weekend a month on an MX track. start with 15min sessions x3 and slowly build up to one full 2hrs session. either at Terra Toppia or Dirt broncos.

One weekend a month...Dewildt or Mariasberg.

At least one long (+500km) ride per month.

Mind set....that's sorted already.....I WANT to do the Amageza.

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 03:19:36 pm »
Riding every weekend, either 450 or 650, but all off-road

Maybe we vaalies should get together and ride off-road on our amageza bikes - anywhere that's a bit tech and takes time and energy

As for gym or fitness, I stopped a while back coz I had no motivation - maybe amageza will kickstart me again

I'm even keen on hitting the MX tracks during the week - friday afternoons anyone?
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 07:11:13 pm »
Bike ...sorted

Training....

walking an hour a day, to get my old body started. This I'll do for November. December start running and some home gyming

Riding....

I plan to ride at least every weekend. One weekend a month on an MX track. start with 15min sessions x3 and slowly build up to one full 2hrs session. either at Terra Toppia or Dirt broncos.

It must be close on 4 years now since we last road together... looking forward to kicking your ass :-p

Offline markdiver

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • It's better to burn out, than fade away!
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 08:33:18 pm »
I thought I should start with the bike and get to know it a LOT better.  So stripped it down and this is what I have.    :oI DONT EVEN KNOW WHERE TO START!!!  THINK I HAVE BITTEN OFF MORE THAN I CAN CHEW TECHNICALLY.  ::) :lamer:  But I must perservere and get to know everything about this bike.  Oh and of course some physical training in between, yukkk!!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 08:20:42 am by markdiver »
Mine - BMW 1200 ADV, KTM 450 RR; HUSABERG TE 300; Goes 320 Quad
Missus - BMW 650 GS.

>< ( ( (( >`..`..`...>< ( ( (( >

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 08:44:53 pm »
lot of machinery there, markdiver, good luck ......................

I'd like to see one of those, just like that - there's a lot of stuff there that I don't recognise

Question: Can the nav stuff be attached to the steering/forks/yolks for the amageza, or will it all be too heavy - is it wise to attach all to the frame? - not really viable on a modified KLR?
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 04:16:16 am »
Sweet looking machine markdiver!

Offline markdiver

• Race Dog
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 08:19:51 am »

I'd like to see one of those, just like that - there's a lot of stuff there that I don't recognise

Question: Can the nav stuff be attached to the steering/forks/yolks for the amageza, or will it all be too heavy - is it wise to attach all to the frame? - not really viable on a modified KLR?

Hey Cracker - I think someone like Kenesis & BlueBull on this forum would be better suited to answer your valid question.  I think that they may have experience in both set ups, so hopefully they can throw some light on your question.  I know that they are very helpfull, so if you PM them, you will get the right answers.  My tower setup comes stock standard as you see it from the factory.  Good luck with your tower build.
Missus - BMW 650 GS.

Offline SteveD

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 09:07:24 am »
 :ricky:

Offline markdiver

• Race Dog
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 10:02:00 am »
Missus - BMW 650 GS.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 09:12:26 pm »

Yes you can but at the expense of making the steering more difficult to turn (inertia) and more buffeting of the rider by wind on the long liaisons. Have a look at early GHR Honda builds or photos of the bikes in the 2011 Australian Safari, and you will see them.

Some guys swear by this system, but I have noticed that new Honda rally bikes have all gone back to the full nav tower setups.

Kenisis is also doing this, after having ridden the Desert Challenge with bar mounted instrumentation. He could probably give you first hand advice. :thumleft:

Check out his thread here: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=91896.0

Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 09:14:44 pm »
Bike ...sorted

Training....

Riding....

Sounds good! If you can do two 500km rides with at least half being technical and everything on dirt in two days and still be up fresh for work on the Monday morning you should be fine! :thumleft:

At least you have the riding ability, unlike some of us ::)
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 06:34:53 am »

Yes you can but at the expense of making the steering more difficult to turn (inertia) and more buffeting of the rider by wind on the long liaisons. Have a look at early GHR Honda builds or photos of the bikes in the 2011 Australian Safari, and you will see them.

Some guys swear by this system, but I have noticed that new Honda rally bikes have all gone back to the full nav tower setups.

Kenisis is also doing this, after having ridden the Desert Challenge with bar mounted instrumentation. He could probably give you first hand advice. :thumleft:

Check out his thread here: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=91896.0

Mmm god pint, I hadn't actually considered that.

I was thinking f going with this handle bar mounted kit: http://www.rallymanagementservices.com/collections/universal/products/universal-rally-kit

Might rethink that now... the one big upside for me using that setup is I could use it on my bike here to train with and then bolt it off and fly to SA
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 06:36:07 am by N[]vA »

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 08:55:19 am »
MarkDiver, that is a motorcycle, but not as I know it. WOW!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 04:04:21 pm »

I was thinking f going with this handle bar mounted kit: http://www.rallymanagementservices.com/collections/universal/products/universal-rally-kit

Might rethink that now... the one big upside for me using that setup is I could use it on my bike here to train with and then bolt it off and fly to SA

That system does work; I just think its not preferred thats all. Maybe budget drives this option too.

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 03:18:23 am »

That system does work; I just think its not preferred thats all. Maybe budget drives this option too.
SuperFoxi was in the process of building me a nav tower which we stopped cause I moved over. I guess in theory I could (if I had him finish it) send it over here and bolt it to my bike.

Niel do you know of any bolt on systems that are done with the frame rather than handlebars?

Offline Rickus

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 07:49:16 am »
subscribed...

OMVAL EN OPTEL.....