Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Amageza prep  (Read 3537 times)

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: Amageza prep
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2012, 10:35:05 pm »
Oh wow so I just had a long chat with Charlie Rauseo who gave me a fair bot of advice about roadbooks and ico's and training to use roadbooks

http://www.rallypanam.com/crewcr.html

Charlie is the American rally guru, having trained every independent American Dakar competitor in the last 6 years.

His racing experience began in Nevada, and quickly moved to Tunisia and then the Dakar Rally in 2004.  He raced the Dakar again in 2005 and 2006, but Charlie has now become the full time team manager.

He has offered to meet up with me next Thursday so I can pick his brain on anything I can think of. If you guys have any questions let me know and I will take notes

:mwink:

Take notes, video and engravings.. when you are in CT I can arrange a get together for a feedback and training session  :thumleft: Just give me some warning, it would be lekker.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2012, 10:37:24 pm »
Well let get together a list of questions.

I have laods on training and learning to use a roadboook, he has already put me in some interesting directions.

Will happily put together a report after meeting him
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2012, 10:43:32 pm »
Well it is tough to ask questions about something you have never used before..

Everything from ' how does it work' all the way to guidelines and tips for using it effectively, I think most of us get the general idea.. paper.. roll. read, roll.. but are there any tricks to it or is it just all self explanitory.

Like I said if you want to do a talk in CT on the subject like they did in JHB just let me know, as far in advance as possible so we can get a fair crowd together.

Muz
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline wayneh

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BSA (all models)
    • South Africa's dual-sport motorcycle rally
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2012, 02:44:56 pm »
Oh after chatting to Charie that isn't Johna's bike, just the seat and his spare engine.

LOL... awesome. It amazing me how strong the rallye community is worldwide. Thanks for solving the mystery with the marked seat, Jan  ;D 

The bike was ridden by a guy called Niel

Yep. Neil... aka BlueBull2007... used this bike for the Dos Sertos, and the 2012 Amageza.

Would be great if you could share your knowledge on 'tips to navigate with a roadbook at speed'.  :deal:  Am positive all of us could hugely benefit.  :thumleft:

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2012, 03:27:33 pm »
Well it is tough to ask questions about something you have never used before..

Everything from ' how does it work' all the way to guidelines and tips for using it effectively, I think most of us get the general idea.. paper.. roll. read, roll.. but are there any tricks to it or is it just all self explanitory.

Like I said if you want to do a talk in CT on the subject like they did in JHB just let me know, as far in advance as possible so we can get a fair crowd together.

Muz
Yea but it has to be in a pub!

Oh after chatting to Charie that isn't Johna's bike, just the seat and his spare engine.

LOL... awesome. It amazing me how strong the rallye community is worldwide. Thanks for solving the mystery with the marked seat, Jan  ;D 

Yep. Neil... aka BlueBull2007... used this bike for the Dos Sertos, and the 2012 Amageza.

Would be great if you could share your knowledge on 'tips to navigate with a roadbook at speed'.  :deal:  Am positive all of us could hugely benefit.  :thumleft:

Oh frak me THAT Niel! lols thats too funny. Will mention that to Charlie on Thursday

Yea I will be taking notes and recording the conversation n do a write up after

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2012, 04:55:08 pm »

Yes this, Neil  :deal:

Wayne knows this, the seat was taken to Dakar in January as a spare, after Jonah lost his seat in the desert on Stage 9 of the 2011 Dakar. ;D

Tell Charlie I say "hi", and if you are doing the rounds see if you can meet Dave Pekham as well. Solid bloke that and he runs the company now.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 04:56:19 pm by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2012, 07:16:47 pm »

Yes this, Neil  :deal:

Wayne knows this, the seat was taken to Dakar in January as a spare, after Jonah lost his seat in the desert on Stage 9 of the 2011 Dakar. ;D

Tell Charlie I say "hi", and if you are doing the rounds see if you can meet Dave Pekham as well. Solid bloke that and he runs the company now.

Will do!

Would love time meet Dave but really doubt I will have time. Flying to Vegas on Monday and back on Thursday,  Friday off to Beijing and Thebes Vietnam again >. <

Offline Firesquirrel

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2012, 08:55:59 pm »
Subscribe
Current Bikes :  KTM 690

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2012, 09:51:17 pm »
did a nice lil 110km ride over the last two days around San Fran, stunning city for cycling

will consider that part of the training/beer belly fighting.  :deal:

Did how ever pickup a really nice Kriega camel back and some klim gloves
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 09:52:13 pm by N[]vA »

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2012, 10:30:56 pm »
Charlie had to cancel Friday's meetup =[

But he has agreed to answer any questions I have via email.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2012, 12:11:46 am »
I could to that too ;D

These guys are not riding gods like some guys on the forum apparently are  :patch:   ;)

:imaposer:

Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Rickus

« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2012, 07:33:36 am »
I watched some coverage of the Australian Safari Rally yesterday on ESPN  :o...what a wake-up call !!! we are probably going to be dealing with much of the same type of terrain and boy those okes FLY!!! Sand+washouts+corrugated ruts+hidden ROCKS + animals and all have to be dealt with at speed while trying to figure out where you are going.....some of those okes are just plain insane. It was however very interesting to see that allot of the top contenders did not finish due to bad crashes or mechanical failure and in the end the guys preserving themselves and their machines ended quite high up on the standings.

OMVAL EN OPTEL.....

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2012, 06:38:39 pm »
 :imaposer: very correct.. i will be the oke near the back 'preserving my machine'  :thumleft:

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2012, 07:19:03 pm »
I could to that too ;D

These guys are not riding gods like some guys on the forum apparently are  :patch:   ;)

:imaposer:

thanks mate!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2012, 02:10:35 am »
I watched some coverage of the Australian Safari Rally yesterday on ESPN  :o...what a wake-up call !!! we are probably going to be dealing with much of the same type of terrain and boy those okes FLY!!! Sand+washouts+corrugated ruts+hidden ROCKS + animals and all have to be dealt with at speed while trying to figure out where you are going.....some of those okes are just plain insane. It was however very interesting to see that allot of the top contenders did not finish due to bad crashes or mechanical failure and in the end the guys preserving themselves and their machines ended quite high up on the standings.

Good points Rickus. Rally raid is all about riding as fast as you can SAFELY. I have been lucky enough to have spent days in Charlies company and that is his main point. You cannot afford to lose one second in spare time because that gives you valuable time to prepare for the next day. Guys who want to waste time out there taking pics and enjoying the smoke breaks (sorry) will end up being eaten by the snowball in day 4-5 because of fatigue or reduced maintenance on the bike etc. Riding like this takes a BIG toll on any bike, even the 650s and 990's so dont presume you wont have less maintenance, because what you will ride will be brutal and stuff on your bikes is going to break. Less time in the bivouac means less time to prep the roadbook, rest, rehydrate, eat, maintain the bike rest, rehydrate, rest, and did I mention rehydrate?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 03:05:37 am by BlueBull2007 »

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2012, 10:36:13 pm »
Just landed back in Vietnam and what do ya know....

Air China went and lost both my bags along the way... with all my brand new riding gear in them!?@!?#  :xxbah:

Really hope they turn up  :-\

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2012, 10:52:10 pm »
I got all excited now and went to go check my mail box.. just incase , if they pitch up here i will let you know.  :3some:

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2012, 11:27:35 pm »
I got all excited now and went to go check my mail box.. just incase , if they pitch up here i will let you know.  :3some:
Man I am fucking pissed off to no end out here >.<

I even took the day off to go riding on all the new gear and everything =[
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 11:29:56 pm by N[]vA »

Offline Buff

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2012, 06:29:22 am »

Air China went and lost both my bags along the way... with all my brand new riding gear in them!?@!?#  :xxbah:

Gees. what a bummer  :( So it's not only SAA that gets up to this kinda sh!t  >:(

Hope you come right  :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2012, 06:46:25 am »

Gees. what a bummer  :( So it's not only SAA that gets up to this kinda sh!t  >:(

Hope you come right  :thumleft:
Fark me too man o.O

Other kewl news is I found a great condition WR450 I will probably be picking up when I get back to Vietnam in January! Perfect for training (would be for racing too I guess)