Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Are you really an adventure rider?  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
Are you really an adventure rider?
« on: October 16, 2007, 07:31:10 am »
I am doing market research...... ;D...and no camping is not a defiination of a 100% adventure trip
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 09:46:07 am by Ama ride ride »
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline lecap

Re: Are you really an adventure rider?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 07:44:10 am »
I take it this time the detail "camping" is essential? Does self catering roofed overnight count?
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 07:48:11 am »
lecap....

;D...the camping is the catch word...sorry boet....bricks and roof are out... ;D

jabu69

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 08:14:45 am »
Only twice for me. Does it make me an adventurer?
I have too much work these days...

Offline B.V.

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 08:33:04 am »
Ama. Distance and 2 trac must be the key word.
Anyone can ride 5okm for a day and camp man. >:D

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 08:36:37 am »
I think guys who camp are too poor to afford B&B's. ;D

I mean REALLY, why camp in South Africa when there's ample accomodation? Namibia is a tad different, but camping complicates matters because you need a moer of a tent, gas stove, kitchen sink... nee fok manne, that's exactly what I'm trying to flee from!

For me the adventure riding is in the RIDING.

Let me put it this way: One guy rides on tar and camps, while the other stays in B&B's but goois mielies through Baviaans. Which one is the biggest adventurer?

On my last trip through the Baviaans we slept over in a backpackers lodge in J-Bay that was also a surfing academy. Loads of really fit, tanned surfer chicks. Oh my. Anyway, us silverbacks did ourselves proud by staying up until last rounds and complaining about the young faders at about 3:30 am.

Next moring we steeked to and through the Baviaans. If that doesn't qualify as a semi-adventure, then I don't know.

Oh, and another thing. On another B&B trip that involved great roads, we did a detour to that Satan's Nest called Algeria in the Cederberg. Fook me! All those people camping on top of one another! All being "adventurous" on one anothers laps!

Soos David Kramer gesing het:
"Hoed op my kop, wyn in my are
wys my die langpad weg van die skare..."

"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 09:26:22 am »
Jacko........man, partykeer verbaas jou insig my.  :thumleft:

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 09:26:45 am »
Soos David Kramer gesing het:
"Hoed op my kop, wyn in my are
wys my die langpad weg van die skare..."
I must be honest - I'm with Jacko here - adventure, in my book at least, is not defined as camping with a bike in the middle of nowhere, it's more a frame of mind isn't it?  It's how you look at the world...

But I ALSO think that there are horses for courses - a bike is GREAT for day trips - I haven't done anything more on an "adventure" bike - unless you count riding a shoddy 3km dirt driveway on the Z750 - But I must also be honest in that my only experience on "adventure" bikes is with the KLE, which doesn't lend itself very much to being packed heavily, or even carrying a pillion for that matter.  I would like to do a weekend trip with the SO, and yea, both being fairly adventurous souls, I suspect we'll camp in the middle of nowhere... but tbh, I'd rather take the 4x4, and not compromise on anything, rather than take the KLR (when I eventually get it) and be frustrated the whole trip at having had to leave this or that at home...nevermind the frustration of sitting on the bike wishing for more power...

Don't get me wrong, this two-wheeled thing runs through my veins, I will never be without a bike (here's hoping), but I don't think that camping overnight somewhere is the sole criteria against which my adventure rider status should be measured  ;)

But to answer your question, no, never  ;D  Although i would VERY much like to, one day...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 09:27:28 am by InsiderDirtRider »
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 09:30:36 am »
Jacko, BV

Dont try to be clever.........or dof >:D

Some okes on HP2's jaaged through Van Zyls pass with Jan du Toit and his support on their heels.

Rojo and Co did van Zyls pass with his whole house on his bike.

See the point I am making. Unsupported, camping (some just take a sleeping bag with) ;)

« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 09:31:07 am by Ama ride ride »

kurt

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 09:38:51 am »
Not yet! I'm still too new on the DS bike scene...
Landrover trips don't count. Neither does Mweni Pass, a 4 to 5 day hike, walked inna day - fast and lite, unsupported.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 09:41:23 am »
I'd rather not risk calling myself an adventurer

When I look at 'real' adventurers such as Mike Horn, Thor Heyerdahl, Ranulph Fiennes, Bertrand Piccard, etc
then I can only shake my head and admit that I'm busy with kid's stuff

probably the closest discription for what we do is 'travelling', not 'adventuring'

ag, don't mind me, I'm just being negative

masehare

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 09:42:42 am »
And to hook onto your other poll - I've got more chance of taking the motjie along if we sleep over at B&B's / bricked accomodation. They're not mos as hard core as us men, especially when it gets to toilets.  ;D

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 09:50:51 am »
No.

I have done two DR's with full back-up.

I've done one overnighter lugging all with.

If it means I can ride every two years to Namibia, even with back-up, I'll ride rather than stay at home.
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 10:07:06 am »
It is a great feeling, when you have done a whole days riding, to just stop and park in a river bed, rip your ground sheet out and fall on your back, make a fire and just sit there with your dirty clothes waiting for the day to end.

Even a warm beer tastes great

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 10:34:55 am »
As usual, way too much sense is being spoken here.

But I get Ama's point about the Jan Staal type trips. As I've said before, they're really cross country races with backup.

But to each his own.

Look, as a youngster I roughed it north of here for more than a year. Slept on the ground, "camped", all on the tax payer's expense.

Now I want to RIDE. Yes, I have (and will) camped on certain trips. But that was incidental cos the destination dictated it. If truth be told, I quite like it when I get off the boney, drink some cold ones and order a Boeuf Bourguignon. Or a sheared tuna steak. Or what about a rack of lamb with a red wine reduction and rosti? Huh?!! >:D

"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 11:03:14 am »
It is a great feeling, when you have done a whole days riding, to just stop and park in a river bed, rip your ground sheet out and fall on your back, make a fire and just sit there with your dirty clothes waiting for the day to end.

Even a warm beer tastes great

Don't know about the warm beer, but the rest sounds about perfect.
For me the adventure is when you go for a ride not really knowing what roads to travel but have a general knowledge of where you will land up, this is best done solo  ;) ;D

kurt

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 11:20:21 am »
Warm beer in this day and age... then you're really on an "off the beaten track" kinda adventure.
I remember long ago in Moz, a 'drinks smouser' serving up ice-cold beverages from behind a reed hut, whilst next door, inna gov, shop the shelves gathered dust, and the proprieter shrugged shoulders in defeat. Now, how the f**k?  :thumbsup:

Offline Jaqhama

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Super Sherpa
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 01:49:41 pm »
Defining adventure with a motorcycle..the biggest, hardest adventure I've had in recent times was that 2 kilometres of singletrack I rode a month ago.

I don't count riding 200 K's down an easy dirt road as an adventure.
I don't count camping overnight as an adventure, that's just camping.

When we do two and three day rides off road in the Blue Mountains we normally stay at a hotel...too buggered to bother carrying camping gear and putting up a tent and cooking over a fire.
The large country cooked meals, the heated swimming pool, the bar and log fire...now you're talking.
I camped every night for over a month in the USA, you can get sick of that real quick!
It's not just a mode of transport, it's a fking adventure!

Offline lecap

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 02:52:59 pm »
I did camp on most trips for some 15 years because I could not afford a room (or did not want to fork out the money)

Now I stay in rooms and am not an adventure rider?

Who cares?

Is camping in a godforsaken Angolan ex- minefield equally adventurous as camping at Ebb & Flow in Wildernes or Storms River Mouth?
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 02:55:29 pm »
Is camping in a godforsaken Angolan ex- minefield equally adventurous as camping at Ebb & Flow in Wildernes or Storms River Mouth?

erm... I would have to give the prize to the minefield camper... sorry