Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Are you really an adventure rider?  (Read 2322 times)

shark_za

Re: Are you really an adventure rider?
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 03:21:23 pm »
Stop trying to box me and label me you elitist BMW poser !

Online Uiltjie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Caledon
    • http://www.goudinie.co.za
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 04:31:17 pm »
As usual, way too much sense is being spoken here.

But I get Ama's point about the Jan Staal type trips. As I've said before, they're really cross country races with backup.

But to each his own.

Look, as a youngster I roughed it north of here for more than a year. Slept on the ground, "camped", all on the tax payer's expense.

Now I want to RIDE. Yes, I have (and will) camped on certain trips. But that was incidental cos the destination dictated it. If truth be told, I quite like it when I get off the boney, drink some cold ones and order a Boeuf Bourguignon. Or a sheared tuna steak. Or what about a rack of lamb with a red wine reduction and rosti? Huh?!! >:D

Stem!  Arme armgatte! ;)
"Sit vis vobiscum."

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2007, 04:39:21 pm »
Me 2 times in 7 months  ;)

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2007, 04:40:50 pm »
Jaq in Africa going to the shopping mall is an adventure by itself..  :D

Offline growweblaar

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Somerset West
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2007, 04:49:34 pm »
Now the other question is: if you go on adventure trips so that you can say that you do adventure trips, are you still an adventure rider?  :-\ ;D

Online Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2007, 04:55:12 pm »
I also want to say something.
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2007, 05:01:27 pm »
I fall right into this catagory, except 'adventure' should have a capital letter, 'Adventure', as in GS Adventure.... ;D ;D ;D
We do mostly fixed accomodation trips, but have done a few camping trips lately, and it was all lekker.
Carrying all that stuff is a mission, but luckily we can spread 3 people's stuff between 2 bikes. Cherry rides with me and Peaches has the heavy camping stuff in an Ortlieb bag on her back seat.
We normally use fixed accomodation when travelling in SA, and when out of SA we have all the camping stuff for use in an emergency, we never book accomodation, take pot luck, but should this fail we can camp anywhere.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Boertjie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • The older I get, the faster I used to be!!
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2007, 06:55:51 pm »
As with another pole here, I did not vote, since I've not done much riding prior to 4 months ago.

BUT I must say

JACKO, where did you learn all the sense that you're writing??

I've also done plenty of camping in my life... parents did that from before I was born. I've done plenty too... have been in weird places and stayed in funny spots... like the December holiday that I stayed in a Venter trailer... no, a standard 6foot one. The guyys that have met me will know that I'm more than 6ft... but it was great. I've slept in the veld, on the beach, under houses... no, I was not a bergie, but probably slept in most places these guys do.

Not that it is over, but if there is an alternative, I see not eason not to use it. It also depends on the event... the BASH as an example. Most guys will camp, so I will too.

For me too, the adventure is in the riding.
Dagaty!!!
Boertjie weg.

BMW R1200GS, Honda Varadero XL1000V

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Ons gaan nou ry
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2007, 08:09:21 pm »
Adventurer? Who me? Nee man, dis daai lang maar oke met die min hare en die BM wat ook 'n moderator is man...
Don't look back, that's not where you're going.

Offline gonedown

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • Amakaya Backpackers
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2007, 09:00:18 pm »
Also depends what you mean by 'adventure'?

Myself and DotP do at least one 4000 - 5000km trip per year over a 9/10 day period. (and a few other shorter ones in between).

Sleep in B+B and camp at least 3 nights on the trip. Have done this 3 years in a row now and twice was just the two of us for the greater part of the trip.  This however all on tar. :o :o

Some may not ride a lot and a trip of 500km with an overnight stay might be an adventure for them.

Horses for courses - as long as you enjoy the riding and the open road and spaces.... ;)

Sometimes enjoy the camping - other times could not be bothered and want the brick and mortar...
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Offline Copernicus

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2007, 03:10:31 pm »
When was it?  About thirty years ago I was in the infantry and did a lot of camping - mostly unsupported aswell.  I tried it it again after that, sometimes with some Government persuasion, sometimes out of free will with some friends.  I would not say that it was all bad, to the contrary, it was mostly good.  But I think I had enough of that.  I also prefer the B&B and sometimes even better.

These days my idea of adventure is to spoon in some ordinary coffee with the decaf.  And with a teenage daughter to manage I do trips for the relaxation, not for the adventure.  I guess it is all a matter of perspective.  Where are the days of soap box races down mine dumps?  Now that was adventure!!
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...

Offline gonedown

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • Amakaya Backpackers
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2007, 07:22:47 pm »
When was it?  About thirty years ago I was in the infantry and did a lot of camping - mostly unsupported aswell.  I tried it it again after that, sometimes with some Government persuasion, sometimes out of free will with some friends.  I would not say that it was all bad, to the contrary, it was mostly good.  But I think I had enough of that.  I also prefer the B&B and sometimes even better.

Bet the food wasn't that great and you didn't get to take your own with. ;D ;D
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Offline GO GIRL

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2007, 08:33:10 pm »
MH must agree with you there as long as you have general idea where you goin easier for you guys to go solo tho :) :)

Offline Billbob

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Live and let live (to a point)
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2007, 09:05:01 pm »
I'll never say no to roofed accomodation, but I also really enjoy camping in the middle of nowhere. The biggest problem nowdays is finding the middle of nowhere. Really sad :'(
1200GS

Offline droffarc

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Cape Toon
    • http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2007, 09:22:30 pm »
Asn defined by wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure

An adventure is an activity that comprises risky, dangerous, or uncertain experiences. The term is more popularly used in reference to physical activities that have some potential for danger, such as skydiving, mountain climbing, and extreme sports. The term is broad enough to refer to any enterprise that is potentially fraught with risk, such as a business venture or a major life undertaking. An adventurer is a person who bases their lifestyle or their fortunes on adventurous acts.

Adventure tourism typically involves traveling into remote, inaccessible and possibly hostile areas. It may include the performance of acts that require significant effort and grit and may also involve some degree of risk.

So going to the loo in the campsite at the buffalo rally at 4am can be an adventure too....
http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
"..explore the beautiful surroundings via some of the roads less travelled. "
It is far easier to destroy than to create.
I came, I saw, I came again!
Biking since 1978

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2007, 08:10:00 am »
Qualifying for the "Adventurer" title in terms of the thread is all good and well, but I think it is a very narrow defenition.  Altough camping on a sleepover ride may be an adventure, a more serious technical ride like doing part of the "Roof" route on a big bike and sleeping in a hotel is probably more of an adventure.  And there is some adventure in doing an Iron Butt rally on the tar too.  My "adventures" include all of the above and more, therefore riding a bit on a dirt road to a nice campsite and sleeping in a tent is an insignificant part of the bigger range of applications my bike is used for.

I do not think there is a huge amount of "adventure" in just riding to a spot and pitching a tent.  Most of that is quite predictable and low in risk.   :)

Lets ride! ;)
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2007, 08:57:57 am »
Adventure will differ from person to person. I.m.o. adventure is experiencing something new & unexpected. Riding to the next town and sleeping in a caravan park is not an adventure (unless it's your first bike and very first camping experience - maybe). Pack your bike and ride for a week without a plan, a route, or a booking. It's likely you'll end up some-where totally unexpected and have an "adventure". Experiencing the unexpected.

A real adventure would be something like the Angola trip. That's too much of an adventure for most though. One gets out of your comfort zone bit by bit. Maybe one day...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 08:58:33 am by Trailrider »