1200GS , dissapointment.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krazy-eyes

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
so right now i own a Suzuki GSR 600 (naked streetbike / commuter), but for some time now i've wanted a 1200GS.
coming from a KTM 950adv, 640 adv, and yamaha R1 I'd like to think that i have a good basis for comparison.

then last week a mate got a 2005 1200GS which he asked me to ride home for him since he had never ridden such a big bike before.
I rode it for an hour throught peak traffic.
yesterday i took another 1200GS for a test ride seeing as i thought i'd make the jump to the "ultimate tourer".

what can i say, i am utterly dissapointed - every time i get back on my suzuki i think, now THIS is a bike!
on the beemer everything seems loose and rattly, and steering and gearshifts are vague. on the suzuki everthing is precise, like comparing a scalpel with a blunt breadknife.

I have some questions to the 1200 clan.

why is the engine so rough and vibey?
why is there no power when you open the throttle (my bike which is half the size has LOTS of usable power from the moment you twist the trottle)?
why is the gearing so high? as in, i constantly have to slip the clutch on the beemer at slow speeds, not so on my suzuki or ktm's.
what the hell is wrong with that clunky gearbox???

in all fairness, i recently test rode a 2012 1200 gs and most of these issues have been sorted, but for years the 1200GS has been put on a pedestal when really it is pretty disappointing for what you pay.

I'll probably still get one because it's still more comfy with regards to two-up touring and wind protection, but seriously, these things are totally over-hyped.