Why don't emergency units use bikes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michnus

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
a Few morning ago, cruising on my way to work, one of these fast Opel 2 door joppies, the ambulance reaction companies use, comes flying past me on the highway with all the lights going, one guy inside the car. Hopefully on his way to an accident, and not late for breakfast with the boss .

Not a kilometre further done the road, a two lane highway is blocked with cars waiting for the intersection to turn green, this guy can't go anywhere, he's stuck behind this massive line of cars.

I pass him and slowly work my way through to the front of the queue and on green, cheeeerio I was gone.

This got me thinking, you buy 2 bikes for the price of the car, surely on a 1200GS I will load all his stuff he has in the car in my panniers and topbox, and I will beat him to any accident every single time..for sure.

So what you need are paramedics with a bike license and proper rider training and a fleet of properly stocked bikes. JHB will never be the same!