April frontier trip - day 1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wino

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
Another adventure to be had by three school buds! The three of us had a road trip three years ago in a car ? seeing that we have all evolved to having ds bikes the choice mode of transport for this trip was made in destiny.
Day 1
The Friday morning I left early from Jhb in high spirit. Being autumn already, there was a slight bite in the air, just enough to keep me alert without lulling me into hibernation.

Entering Sasolburg:

DSCN3844.jpg

Usually on longer trips I ride with a map and gps. As fate would have this time I opted for the gps only, bad mistake! The gps acted up and could not be used, hence I soon found myself on strange roads and being a public holiday, could find no store on the platteland dorpies to buy a map. In the city I have become accustomed to stores being open on pretty much all the days of the year and it was thus quite a culture shock!

After having done a loop via the N1, I soon found myself on the route that I rode last September when we did the Baviaans/Hel. The road is pretty straight and visually becomes boring very quickly, but once you pass Marquard, the Maluti mountains in the yonder provides some stimulation.
DSCN3845.jpg

The sight and smell of fresh harvest:

DSCN3846.jpg

DSCN3847.jpg

DSCN3848.jpg

From Marquard to Ladybrand the scenery is awesome and the road twists and winds its way around the koppies ? definitely worth the ride. Regarding shops being closed on the platteland on a public holiday: in Ladybrand (scenically situated town) the only eatery open was a Wimpy where I had a quick bite.

After Ladybrand the scenery once again changes to the ?grassy? flatlands and the road is straight.

Crossing the Caledon river. If you look closely, you will see the level to which the river rose during the past rains:
DSCN3849.jpg

DSCN3850.jpg

DSCN3851.jpg

In Zastron it was time for the first church pic:
DSCN3852.jpg

This weird formation just outside of Zastron provided some stimulus ? maybe the rockclimbers out there will recognise it:
DSCN3853.jpg

Oh yes, a journey without wind just seems impossible. You know you are in for a tough one when special signs are posted!
DSCN3855.jpg

Time to cross the mighty Orange river at Norvalspont:
DSCN3856.jpg

DSCN3857.jpg

In Colesberg I came across this sign - well, I had a good chuckle, but there is also something disturbing about it! I thought about a career in civil service, sponsored by?
DSCN3858.jpg

In Colesberg I made the decision to push on and maybe have the night stop en route to Graaff Reinet further on.

DSCN3859.jpg

The sun was starting to set, the wind died down and the traffic with it. Perfect riding conditions, slipping in and out of the shadows provided by the koppies and savouring the golden veld:
DSCN3860.jpg

DSCN3861.jpg

DSCN3862.jpg

A panoramic view at the top of the Lootsberg Pass:

DSCN3863.jpg

And a bit further on:
DSCN3864.jpg

The sun was now starting to set at a swift rate. My idea of sleeping over in Nieu Bethesda was dissolving with it. Onwards then to Graaff Reinet:

DSCN3865.jpg

DSCN3866.jpg

1100k?s for the day, as a result of stupidity!