April frontier trip - day 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wino

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
Day 2
Having slept in the backpackers lodge situated right next to this church (whose bells still irritatingly sounds on every hour) I was up early. Well, I am an early riser?

DSCN3867.jpg

I only had about 100k?s to go to meet my buds in Jansenville and I had about three hours to kill. So I took up a slow pace, taking in the surrounds of an early Karroo morning. Evidence of a rain shower sometime during the night was all around and it gave the usually dry land a different picturesque quality. Dark clouds lay ominously in wait.

The full moon right above my shadow:
DSCN3868.jpg

Ah, first dirt of the trip, a little jewel of a winding road with potent scenery collaborating with the low, dark cloud cover:

DSCN3869.jpg

DSCN3870.jpg

DSCN3871.jpg

DSCN3872.jpg

DSCN3873.jpg

Eventually the euphoria died as I entered Jansenville, but what a religious structure for such a small town:
DSCN3874.jpg

So after enjoying a nourishing breakfast in the only restaurant in town and having ridden every street of the town and conversing with a cop that does undercover drug related work (no, he was not selling), I eventually met with these two dirt bags:
DSCN3876.jpg

From Jansenville we took the gravel to Pearston,
DSCN3877.jpg

from where we hit the tar for pretty much the rest of the day. In Somerset East, we got word that Michnus and Lito were on there way to Hogsback, which was our destination for the day.
DSCN3878.jpg

I have yet to find a decent sized Karroo town that does not have a monument for the fallen of the region in the Great War. This one is in Bedford:
DSCN3879.jpg

The road from here to Alice was winding through the hills ? potholes, stock and imbecile drivers galore! A few k?s after Fort Hare on the way to Hogsback the sudden appearance of the mountains is a real smack in the eyeballs. We pulled over for the tourist action, and lo and behold who rides past? Lito, his girlfriend and Hilde!

DSCN3880.jpg

Rudeasy followed in hot pursuit:
DSCN3881.jpg

Who?s the tourist?

DSCN3882.jpg

For me, there is just something invigorating and enchanting about mountains:
DSCN3883.jpg

DSCN3884.jpg

While the rest of the troupe glided through the twisties up the mountain, I noticed a minor detour and was treated to this:
DSCN3885.jpg

DSCN3886.jpg

And so it was up the twisties, with breathtaking views all around:

DSCN3887.jpg

DSCN3888.jpg

DSCN3889.jpg

DSCN3890.jpg

DSCN3891.jpg

Until we reached the King?s Lodge, where Michnus, Wikus, Lito and Hilde (all ***** persons!) were already having tea (who the hell had the tea?!?).
DSCN3892.jpg

After Michnus and Wikus left for matrimonial duties Lito was keen for a ride further up to check out the scenery. And spectacular it was! Columns of mist were rolling in and in some patches the setting sun shone through in dramatic fashion:
DSCN3893.jpg

DSCN3894.jpg

DSCN3895.jpg

DSCN3896.jpg

The black monster showing off its stealth fashion:
DSCN3897.jpg

A quaint church providing an inspiration for things to come?
DSCN3899.jpg

DSCN3900.jpg

DSCN3901.jpg

And after they did it once, Hilde prodded Lito to do it again ? hope he can live up to other expectations!
DSCN3902.jpg

DSCN3903.jpg

DSCN3904.jpg

DSCN3905.jpg

And after this spirited ride, it was time to spend some time with friends, old and new at the bar. Later on the lie dice played their part in retiring a ?tired? Rudeasy to bed!