Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: For the travelers. New Kenya Traffic Laws.  (Read 2112 times)

Offline steveindar

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Eish!
For the travelers. New Kenya Traffic Laws.
« on: November 09, 2012, 03:23:38 pm »
There are actually some rules in Kenya, how selectively they will be applied is unsure. Make sure budding travelers are aware especially about the reflective vests. Easy money.

NEW KENYA TRAFFIC LAWS SUMMARY:

Here is a summary of the drastic new traffic rules caused by the Amendment of section 12 of Cap 403 of the laws of Kenya. The president signed the amendments yesterday meaning they are in operation from today and we could all be victims.

A). Number plates: When you sell your vehicle, you should surrender the number plates to the registrar of motor vehicles and when you fail to renew the insurance, remember to surrender the number plates to the registrar otherwise you risk being arrested and fined

B). Overlapping, obstruction, driving on pavement or through a petrol station to avoid traffic-You risk a fine of Kshs 100,000 -300,000 or One year in jail or BOTH

C). Over speeding – when you over speed- You risk a fine of Kshs 10,000 or 3 months imprisonment or both

D). Careless Driving: Penalty of Ksh 500,000 or 10 years imprisonment or both

E). Careless driving causing death: Life Imprisonment. This is being treated like murder.

F). Driving under influence of alcohol: A fine of Ksh 500, 000 or ten years in jail or both.

G). PSV Operators - Should adhere to the uniforms and badges rules
h. Motor Cycle operators - ONE PASSENGER only and the passenger and rider must be in reflective vests and helmets- otherwise you risk a fine of Kshs 10,000 and in default 12 months imprisonment

Other changes as below:

• Road blocks are to be gazetted prior to being mounted by the police
• Driving licenses of speed limit violators shall be suspended for not less than 3 years if the person has exceeded speed limit by more than 10 kph and if offence is repeated 3 or more times.
• Mandatory eye test every 3 years for licensed drivers. And if you fail the test then license is withdrawn.
• All law enforcement officers (regular police and APs) are now effectively mandated to deal with traffic issues with the abolition of the Traffic Department under the Kenya Police Service Act.

MOST IMPORTANT: LET US SHARE THIS INFORMATION WITH ALL OUR DRIVERS, COLLEAGUES, FAMILY & FRIENDS

#Nipplecaps must fall!!!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ???

Offline Derik

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
Re: For the travelers. New Kenya Traffic Laws.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 04:27:19 pm »
E) life sentence for reckless driving, like the idea
XR125L, sold 2012
'06 KLR 650 Fugly aka SAMIL, sold
2012 Tiger 800 “roadie”

Offline TK

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Life's an adventure, enjoy the ride.
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 04:32:39 pm »
In a way I don't blame them. They are trying to rectify their 'traffic problem'. I do business up there and no what it's like, especially in Nairobi. If they get it right in enforcing those new laws will be another matter though.

Offline Beebop

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 04:45:50 pm »
When I was up there a few years ago, I was warned not to drive with window open, as they would steal the watch off my arm.
Rather give the place a miss.

Offline bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 09:21:45 pm »
Yeah right :imaposer:

Sorry, as a frequent traveller to Kenya, I very much doubt that this will be enforced, but I will keep my ears and eyes open.

It seems that the new thing in Africa is the reflective vests for motorcyclists!
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Offline BrandsiekBrak

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Formerly known as Lycan
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 10:37:23 pm »
Ksh 10 000 in the right hands, and you can get away with murdering the president.

Been there a couple of times, and the way i remember is that laws and regulations are just there to have the law inforcement officers make a little something on the side
If you are packed for adventure, you can never be lost or late

Previously know as Lycan after getting bitten...
but then became infected

Offline steveindar

• Eish!
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 08:23:19 am »
Making the fines absurd ensures a steady cash-flow to the cops. It's all very organized with the inspectors and commissioner on percentages.
#Nipplecaps must fall!!!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ???

Geotraveller

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 08:31:58 am »
Thanks for posting, what about an update 6 months from now indicating how it's going?

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 08:15:51 pm »
Been riding in Kenya for a couple of weeks, many in reflective vest so there must be some enforcement. I have been riding in a yellow air-flow jacket with reflective points and have not had any problems.  They have a long way to go to civilize the traffic here but this may be a start. Also saw many reflective vests in Tanzania so I expect similar law there.
Bob
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"

Offline jorust

• If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • JoRust
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 06:23:23 pm »
Mmmmm, thanks for the info. I'll be heading through there sometime later this year, so good to know.  :thumleft:

First woman around Africa. Next up: Around the Americas. www.jorust.com
Website: www.jorust.com. Ride Report: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=95770.0

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "Holy shit!! What a ride!!

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 10:10:33 am »
I can't see them getting it right, when I was there they just crossed the red robot right in front of the traffic cops and they did nothing. The same here in RSA, you are not suppose to murder but there are 18000 murders a year here.
1/The only way to get experience is to get experience-Schalk                
2/Ride Reports>Long Tours>Africa Tour To The Equator And Back In 40 Days
3/A stranger is just a friend you have not met yet
4/Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe in and enthusiastically act upon must come to past-Paul J Mayer
5/Use the rocks in the your way to build stepping stones-Herman Zapp

Offline steveindar

• Eish!
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 03:17:59 pm »
Also saw many reflective vests in Tanzania so I expect similar law there.
Bob

Self-preservation I think more likely, no such law enforcement here yet.
#Nipplecaps must fall!!!