Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: April frontier trip - day 4  (Read 786 times)

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
April frontier trip - day 4
« on: May 01, 2006, 12:30:45 pm »
Day 4
The rain did not let up and according to reports the whole area of our anticipated trip was in its grips for most of the next two days. So we made changes to our plans: ride up to Aliwal North and enjoy the luxury of the hot water spring and wait it out.

KiLeRSA with his makeshift protection against the pelting rain. A black refuse bag with a towel as a ?bib? underneath. And so we learn about our gear and the myth of waterproofing a multi purpose jacket!

Having reached the spring at Aliwal North, it was evident that it is not the jewel anymore that it was in a time gone past. So we booked into alternative residence and entertained ourselves as best we could with potjiekos and Bacchus? brews.

Offline KiLRoy

• Kaptein Duiwel
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kaptein Duiwel - vriend van Beau Brummel
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
April frontier trip - day 4
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 09:50:23 am »
Not much to say of day four.  We woked in poring rain, rode via Queenstown to Aliwal North, gambling on the fact that it rain less in the karroo area than in the EC enterior.  We were wrong, but would have been wrong taking the other option too.  Fortunately the highway we took drained well, better than the secondary roads to Maclear would have in any case.

Wino already described my attire, I had a orange thick rain jacket, but let Rudeasy borrowed it for the trip, believing in the water proof abilities of my jacket and biffy.  The biffy worked ............. below 40km/h - above that it balloned and theatend to make me airborn  :lol:   The jacket stayed water proofed for the best part of 20kms  :lol:  - except for my fancy Dainese pants with waterproof rain pants over it, everything from my (bath tub) Zero2 boots, to Wolf-something leather gloves were drenched and cold. 250 kms later we arrived at derelict, smelly hot water springs of Aliwal - the shithouse venue of this trip.  After longing the hot water en route to Aliwal in the rain - to say that I was disappointed is an understatement.

We entertained ourselves with lie-dice and Port/OBS

And as Forrest Gump said: And thats all I've got to say about Aliwal.

Offline KiLRoy

• Kaptein Duiwel
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kaptein Duiwel - vriend van Beau Brummel
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
Re: April frontier trip - day 4
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 12:14:32 pm »
bump

Offline letsgofishing

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
Re: April frontier trip - day 4
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 02:26:40 pm »
Awesome trip you guys - can't WAIT for Hogsback!
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com