Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 1200 GSA engine failure!!  (Read 10171 times)

Offline JacquesM

• Vendors
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
Re: 1200 GSA engine failure!!
« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2007, 10:11:34 pm »
I was led to believe that Lifestyle is the head office of our scooters. So this afternoon I walked in there and thought I'll try and get some peace of mind about the Adventure I'm collecting tomorrow. Somehow strange, but it kind of annoys me if I try and communicate a deep concern about something one spends that money on and the guy actually goes out of his way to make a fool of you. (This is obviously only my perception.)

"I've never heard about what you're talking about. I suggest you speak to the dealer concerned. (Quickly fly to Windhoek with my questions?). I've been riding these bikes ever since 2002, and not a single problem".

The newest Motorrad newsletter contains a question of Bertus De Jager with what seems like the same problem. Maybe my friend at Lifestyle doesn't read the newsletter? He certainly doesn't read this forum.

A constant 130-140km/h: that's exacly my riding style.

It is absolutely no consolation to me that BMW will replace the (complete) engine if the same happens to my bike as what happened to Davy's. Fortunely the chances are "small": 6%!!!!

I so wished for different treatment at BMW, but I'm only a customer.......

I'm angry. Maybe the next experiment must be citrus.

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2007, 10:29:39 pm »
You have the right to feel angry ... this is really not good.
Never underestimate the power of denial.
Briek Merke ... wat ek so hier en daar op my lewenspad sien of los.

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2007, 11:00:17 pm »
JacquesM, get over it, one uninformed individual in a dealership doesn't make up the company.

Rather spend your time here, ask questions, you will get better information from owners, you know, the people actually owning the bikes. ;)

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2007, 11:04:31 pm »
Strange how some guys at BMW say 'it is the first time we have heard about this'......seems like they are suffering fom Alzheimer‚??s Disease.....
Another favourite seems to be 'Don't believe what you read on the internet, it is hearsay'......
It is even stranger that I, as a non BMW employee, know of FIVE 1200GS's that have blown motors, apparently due to running lean.....
I saw one today with a dropped valve, SAW IT, not pictures on the internet, SAW IT WITH MY OWN EYES, just under 10K on the clock. the valve was buried in the piston, exhaust valve in this case.
Luckily Peaches' 1200 has made it to 30K, no hassles besides the kark discs!

Michnus, if I was dropping R140K I would be asking LOTS of questions, but to BMW people with GOOD memories.... ;D ;D
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
« Reply #124 on: October 19, 2007, 11:31:52 pm »
You are right Adventurer ... and I know for the fact that the Powers in Charge are very much aware of the problem and is working on it. Salesmen are salesmen and will always be salesmen.

What is also true is that this problem started at a specific place in the production and the bikes prior to that is not affected.

I have been talking to Skillie a lot about this and we speculated a lot ... the Germans do not believe it is the Software and as such the local guys are bound to that theory although they agree that the motors are showing typical failures that can be associated to running lean.

Now we are wondering ... we are not bound by EU emmission controls ... why not rig two bikes with Power Commanders and map them properly for our conditions and take two stock bikes and put riders on the four and say ... "Ok go and get 10K on the bikes ... don't stop before that."  After such trip strip and inspect and then present the Germans with the results.

Maybe the tweaking to comply with the new EU regulations has taken the boxer into the twilight zone ... many has predicted this a long time ago. So with us outside the EU maybe a R1200 GS-ZA is the way out ?

Just my opinion and openly speculating ... I have no way to know how ridiculous my statements might be :)

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
« Reply #125 on: October 19, 2007, 11:35:16 pm »
Ooops I forget ... yes I saw that little snippet at the bottom of the newsletter and wondered about that ... I came to the conclusion that this is so way out from what could be expected to be contained in a Newsletter that I concluded that this could be a subtle fishing trip to get more facts from owners.

Once again it is me ... just guessing. ;)

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #126 on: October 20, 2007, 07:51:16 am »
Either way, BMW needs to get it's sh!t together VERY FAST!
At the moment they are losing so much face because of their 'ostrich' attitude, and KTM is laughing all the way to the bank. Good luck to them.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2007, 08:01:19 am »
Yep I agree with you on this.

Offline FortyZA

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • East London
« Reply #128 on: October 20, 2007, 12:38:42 pm »
Colyn, Adv.
My 2005 GS and my 2006 Adv both suffer from the pinging problem.
I discussed this with one of MB engineers in Germany and he is of the opinion that the knock sensors either do not pick up the pinging / knocking in time or they are positioned in the wrong place.  I feel that it is a question of both.

Went out last night in the rain from Pta to Kempton and back and that problem is not there when the temp is cold, only when it is hot. 

I also thought that the little snippet at the bottom of the newletter was a little fishy because why did BMW not answer that question themselves. Maybe they are trying to test the water and get comments from people.

just my 2c worth
BMW 1220 Adv (2006)
WR450F (777 - cool blue)
KDX 250 (Pink panther) Sold

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
« Reply #129 on: October 20, 2007, 01:15:29 pm »
Yep I agree ... that snippet looks a lot like a fishing expedition :)

Offline gonedown

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • Amakaya Backpackers
« Reply #130 on: October 20, 2007, 02:30:42 pm »
If it was one of the sales people I think I might know who it is - high and mighty attitude - myself and DotP bought our 650's from him and his attitude after that sucked - will never deal with him again.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #131 on: October 20, 2007, 05:17:25 pm »
Yep I agree ... that snippet looks a lot like a fishing expedition :)

What does it say?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
« Reply #132 on: October 20, 2007, 06:30:57 pm »
1200 GS Overheating and Knocking

I bought a new R1200 GS at the beginning of August and after the first 1000 km service, drove down to Durban from Bloem for the weekend. But halfway through the journey the bike started to get hot and around 5000 rpm started to knock and subsequently misfires. I think it is the lower octane inland that allows the engine to misfire. If it overheats or knocks it will certainly damage the cylinder heads.

Has anyone also encountered such problems? Any solutions?

Please email me at bdj@centlec.co.za
- Bertus de Jager

Offline Scribble

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • RIP Coco thanks for the great times
« Reply #133 on: October 21, 2007, 10:24:52 am »
ok a few questions although i dont ride a 12 but a 1150 adv  ;)
why does this not afect the older bikes and if you hear it ping
and then ride it so that it doesnt would that be possible ?
and would it still self destruct ?
and lastly how do your pipes and filter affect all of this ,cos logic says
more air in more air out and same amount of fuel =lean running motor  :o
adventurer your input regarding your bike would be helpful to me as i believe its pretty much what im running and you live in the land of self destructing engines  O0
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #134 on: October 21, 2007, 10:37:55 am »
ok a few questions although i dont ride a 12 but a 1150 adv  ;)
why does this not afect the older bikes and if you hear it ping
and then ride it so that it doesnt would that be possible ?
and would it still self destruct ?
and lastly how do your pipes and filter affect all of this ,cos logic says
more air in more air out and same amount of fuel =lean running motor  :o
adventurer your input regarding your bike would be helpful to me as i believe its pretty much what im running and you live in the land of self destructing engines  O0

Maybe just put dirt on the filter to make the mixture richer ;D

I don't think the 1150s are affected, they surge too much, never running constant anyway ;D

Have they checked the airflow sensors on the 1200s, surely it has such a thing being fuel injected and all?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
« Reply #135 on: October 21, 2007, 11:15:27 am »
This problem affects the latest versions of the motor ... the ones that have be tweaked to meet the latest EU emissions Controls.

I am wondering if fitting a Power Commander that is mapped properly for our conditions is not the answer ?

Offline Scribble

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • RIP Coco thanks for the great times
« Reply #136 on: October 21, 2007, 11:33:56 am »
This problem affects the latest versions of the motor ... the ones that have be tweaked to meet the latest EU emissions Controls.

I am wondering if fitting a Power Commander that is mapped properly for our conditions is not the answer ?
well it should solve the lean running issues and therefore exploding engine but i have a feeling to integrate it with the canbus system must be a bit of a mare
i doubt the faderland would have made a plug for the power commander to plug into (wrench
feel free to add any helpful info you might have on the subject)
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #137 on: October 21, 2007, 01:07:48 pm »
Scribble, we still ride the BEST Beemers ever made, none of this fandangled wharawhara, if our motors pink/ping, we know we are in too low a gear, knock it down one and steek it, 's-all.... ;D ;D
These 1200 motors kark in the pomp when steeking along at around 150km/h, they run lean at that speed and wind up burying valves in pistons. I saw one that had been opened up on Friday, very very nasty......
But it appears to be small batch that came in recently, the older ones don't have this problem at all, we need not have widespread panic amongst the 1200 guys, I asked about Peaches' bike's software at the agent, I was told that if the bike pinks under load, I must bring it in for a software change. I asked because it had a service recently and I wanted to know if the software had been upgraded. I could not get a straight answer, was just asked to ride the bike and listen to the motor.

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #138 on: October 21, 2007, 01:18:58 pm »
Scribble, we still ride the BEST Beemers ever made, none of this fandangled wharawhara, if our motors pink/ping, we know we are in too low a gear, knock it down one and steek it, 's-all.... ;D ;D
These 1200 motors kark in the pomp when steeking along at around 150km/h, they run lean at that speed and wind up burying valves in pistons. I saw one that had been opened up on Friday, very very nasty......
But it appears to be small batch that came in recently, the older ones don't have this problem at all, we need not have widespread panic amongst the 1200 guys, I asked about Peaches' bike's software at the agent, I was told that if the bike pinks under load, I must bring it in for a software change. I asked because it had a service recently and I wanted to know if the software had been upgraded. I could not get a straight answer, was just asked to ride the bike and listen to the motor.

ah so the older ones u need worry about the shaft an brakes but no chance of the motor imploding   ;D

as a matter of interest , if they updated the s/w then surely you would be on the version of s/w affected? an shirley it can be checked just be plugging in the pc to check the version?

Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #139 on: October 21, 2007, 01:29:12 pm »
You guy's just speculate, there's double the amount of 1200 made than the 1150, so if you look at the overall trouble it might not be that high, between myself and MJ we have close to 170 000km on the 4, 1200's we own ranging from 04-06, the last long run was form Upinton 2up to EL at 170km/h average didn't miss a beat.

You can also allow the 1200 rev's to drop to below 1000rpm and then power it up again out of technical terrain. Strangely MJ's one  older 1200 takes the abuse better than the new one, same with mine.

As to the "our African conditions" don't get to excited there's Americans and Aussies that's just as hard on their bikes and there's altitude as well, we're not so special boy's.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 01:31:20 pm by michnus »