Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 1200 GSA engine failure!!  (Read 10836 times)

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: 1200 GSA engine failure!!
« Reply #140 on: October 21, 2007, 01:30:34 pm »
Scribble, we still ride the BEST Beemers ever made, none of this fandangled wharawhara, if our motors pink/ping, we know we are in too low a gear, knock it down one and steek it, 's-all.... ;D ;D
These 1200 motors kark in the pomp when steeking along at around 150km/h, they run lean at that speed and wind up burying valves in pistons. I saw one that had been opened up on Friday, very very nasty......
But it appears to be small batch that came in recently, the older ones don't have this problem at all, we need not have widespread panic amongst the 1200 guys, I asked about Peaches' bike's software at the agent, I was told that if the bike pinks under load, I must bring it in for a software change. I asked because it had a service recently and I wanted to know if the software had been upgraded. I could not get a straight answer, was just asked to ride the bike and listen to the motor.

ah so the older ones u need worry about the shaft an brakes but no chance of the motor imploding   ;D

as a matter of interest , if they updated the s/w then surely you would be on the version of s/w affected? an shirley it can be checked just be plugging in the pc to check the version?

It shirley can. Who the fark is 'shirley'? ;D ;D
Luckily you ride a V-Strom, so you need not worry......
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Scribble

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • RIP Coco thanks for the great times
« Reply #141 on: October 21, 2007, 01:31:36 pm »
bru i agree with you  ;D
 what have you done to yours ito changing the motor from stock,cat,pipe filters and stuff
also the fuel what are you running
i was using unleaded and now have been told that it has other stuff which
if im not wrong is hygroscopic
now thats being smart
 anyway ive seen the amount of crap that comes out of our fuel you would be surprised

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2007, 01:41:38 pm »
bru i agree with you  ;D
 what have you done to yours ito changing the motor from stock,cat,pipe filters and stuff
now thats being smart
 anyway ive seen the amount of crap that comes out of our fuel you would be surprised

My GSA has a K&N filter, larger air intake, Laser cannister and Remus Y-piece. I run it on unleaded if available, otherwise LRP, either octane, 93 or 95, whichever pump I stop at. Basically I feed it any petrol, not fussy.
Our scoots can run on 50% diesel if there is not enough petrol available, it will run kark and smoke a bit, but it will still go. The newer 1200 is a lot more 'fussy' because of the advanced engine management, too advanced IMO, this is Africa. 8) 8)
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Scribble

« Reply #143 on: October 21, 2007, 01:46:22 pm »
bru i agree with you  ;D
now thats being smart

My GSA has a K&N filter, larger air intake, Laser cannister and Remus Y-piece. I run it on unleaded if available, otherwise LRP, either octane, 93 or 95, whichever pump I stop at. Basically I feed it any petrol, not fussy.
Our scoots can run on 50% diesel if there is not enough petrol available, it will run kark and smoke a bit, but it will still go. The newer 1200 is a lot more 'fussy' because of the advanced engine management, too advanced IMO, this is Africa. 8) 8)
so effectively you flowing more air than i am and at altitude that means (the air is less dense than at the coast ??)meaning the mix you run is richer or leaner ??????????
dammit this made a bit more sense before i i actually started writing now im very confused

« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 02:09:36 pm by Scribble »
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

David van Breda

« Reply #144 on: October 21, 2007, 01:55:04 pm »
Guys,

Personally I don't wanna kakenkerm about the fact that this happened to me anymore.  I can't change that. 

So, with all due respect to all the other manufacturers out there; I had a quick look at the Kawas, Hondas and KTMs etc. out there during this week and came to the conclusion that if it is not my Adv, then it is nothing at all!

Which brings me to the final decision: Am I keeping the bike and try to handle the apparent risk of a newer model 1200 engine?  How do I do that? 

I am really gonna miss my bike if I decide not to keep it!

Offline Scribble

« Reply #145 on: October 21, 2007, 02:11:59 pm »
Davy get the bike if it goes pop get another engine
they really are great bikes apart from the small problems ;D
they should figure out a solution at some point 

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #146 on: October 21, 2007, 03:12:53 pm »
bru i agree with you  ;D
now thats being smart

so effectively you flowing more air than i am and at altitude that means (the air is less dense than at the coast ??)meaning the mix you run is richer or leaner ??????????
dammit this made a bit more sense before i i actually started writing now im very confused

Me too, I just ride the farking thing, if it dies I'll fix it..... ;D ;D

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
« Reply #147 on: October 21, 2007, 04:42:13 pm »
@ Michinus ... the altitude is the same but from what I have been told by BMW it is the temperature thing that is the issue ... in most other environments the temperature drops as the altitude climbs ... we have the nasty situation that it is very dry and very hot on our high altitude spots and it is unfortunately the same place where the largest congregation of the machines are.

@ Adventurer ... yep you are right ... it is small number of the overall quantity that has the problem and it is the newest ones.

I have asked them specifically about the upgrading of the software because we noticed that SKillie's 1200 suddenly became very economical after it's last service. I was assured that they did not retrofit the new software.

You are also right ... there is no need for widespread panic amongst the owners of older versions.
Never underestimate the power of denial.
Briek Merke ... wat ek so hier en daar op my lewenspad sien of los.

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #148 on: October 21, 2007, 05:30:13 pm »
You guy's just speculate, there's double the amount of 1200 made than the 1150, so if you look at the overall trouble it might not be that high, between myself and MJ we have close to 170 000km on the 4, 1200's we own ranging from 04-06, the last long run was form Upinton 2up to EL at 170km/h average didn't miss a beat.

Yes, but the problem is between 140 and 150?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #149 on: October 21, 2007, 06:00:45 pm »
You guy's just speculate, there's double the amount of 1200 made than the 1150, so if you look at the overall trouble it might not be that high, between myself and MJ we have close to 170 000km on the 4, 1200's we own ranging from 04-06, the last long run was form Upinton 2up to EL at 170km/h average didn't miss a beat.

Yes, but the problem is between 140 and 150?

Easy, either ride at 130 or 160+ ;D

Offline Scribble

« Reply #150 on: October 21, 2007, 06:11:09 pm »
@ Michinus ... the altitude is the same but from what I have been told by BMW it is the temperature thing that is the issue ... in most other environments the temperature drops as the altitude climbs ... we have the nasty situation that it is very dry and very hot on our high altitude spots and it is unfortunately the same place where the largest congregation of the machines are.

@ Adventurer ... yep you are right ... it is small number of the overall quantity that has the problem and it is the newest ones.

I have asked them specifically about the upgrading of the software because we noticed that SKillie's 1200 suddenly became very economical after it's last service. I was assured that they did not retrofit the new software.

You are also right ... there is no need for widespread panic amongst the owners of older versions.
i am of the understanding that when they service the bike it is plugged in to do the service and at the same time the software is upgraded whether you want to or not

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #151 on: October 21, 2007, 06:20:43 pm »

i am of the understanding that when they service the bike it is plugged in to do the service and at the same time the software is upgraded whether you want to or not

No, they need to physically tell the system to udgrade. (As in press 'enter', not verbally... ;D ;D)

Offline Scribble

« Reply #152 on: October 21, 2007, 07:24:57 pm »
bru i agree with you  ;D
now thats being smart

have you done anything to change the fueling  or fuel map ala ccp mod or take the plug out completely  as in http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28293&highlight=code+plug
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 07:26:00 pm by Scribble »

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #153 on: October 21, 2007, 10:25:19 pm »
bru i agree with you  ;D
now thats being smart

No, cat plug is standard.

have you done anything to change the fueling  or fuel map ala ccp mod or take the plug out completely  as in http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28293&highlight=code+plug

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #154 on: October 22, 2007, 07:00:17 am »
Scribble, we still ride the BEST Beemers ever made, none of this fandangled wharawhara, if our motors pink/ping, we know we are in too low a gear, knock it down one and steek it, 's-all.... ;D ;D
These 1200 motors kark in the pomp when steeking along at around 150km/h, they run lean at that speed and wind up burying valves in pistons. I saw one that had been opened up on Friday, very very nasty......
But it appears to be small batch that came in recently, the older ones don't have this problem at all, we need not have widespread panic amongst the 1200 guys, I asked about Peaches' bike's software at the agent, I was told that if the bike pinks under load, I must bring it in for a software change. I asked because it had a service recently and I wanted to know if the software had been upgraded. I could not get a straight answer, was just asked to ride the bike and listen to the motor.

How the fcuk am I going to do this... >:(
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #155 on: October 22, 2007, 07:25:30 am »

How the fcuk am I going to do this... >:(

Sorry Ama.... ;D ;D ;D Bring the bike to me, I'll listen to it for you. :)

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #156 on: October 22, 2007, 07:32:34 am »
Adv

Thank you my kind sir......but that statement is aimed at BMW. If they tell me just to listen to the motor and bring it in for a software update if it starts to ping......I'll hit em with the Human rights commision and Equity court.  ;D

By the way. Pinging is extremely difficult to feel. Missfire etc very easy.
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Obi -Wan

« Reply #157 on: October 22, 2007, 09:29:57 am »
Scribble

RE Pinging on the 1150.

On the 1150 - and I stress that this is what has worked for me.

- I run the standard silencer with a y-piece.
- Standard Air Filter
- The 1150 CAT Code Plug is yellow. This has beeen replaced with the beige CAT CP
   from the 1100 gs.  This bambboozles the computer setting and more fuel is injected
   across the rev range.
- Make sure your valve adjustment is right.
- Make sure your Throttle bodies are set evenly.
- Where possibble I run on 95 plus Octane.

Despite all the above on a very hot Highveld day pinging is possible. I then add a little Octane Booster to each tank of fuel which I have found to be the best solution.  During the winter months I have no problems at all.

Adventurer can probably confirm , but I believe the 1150 Adventure has no cat code plug at all and this will allow the richest setting possible.

y
Real Men ride a Pig !

David van Breda

« Reply #158 on: October 22, 2007, 11:29:56 am »
Just back from my friendly BM dealer. . .

Seems like there is no complete engine available but only subs.  >:(

Told them I am not interested and it now seems that with a spot of luck they might consider giving me a new bike!  ;D ;D

Told them I will nurse it until they find the problem and a solution for it.  ;)

kurt

« Reply #159 on: October 22, 2007, 02:22:36 pm »
Howzit Davy, insist on a NEW bike!!