Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 1200 GSA engine failure!!  (Read 10026 times)

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
Re: 1200 GSA engine failure!!
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2007, 08:00:00 am »
Lost dog

I agree with you that the good bikes outnumber the bad bikes. But for the owners of the bad bikes it leaves a very bitter taste in the mouth.

In the last four years I rode more than 100 000km on 3 different bikes and so far the only ,mechanical or electronic problems I had was a petrol pump failure (AT) and main headlight bulb blew twice (12GS and 12GSA)

I keep asking myself. Am I just lucky? :-\
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline LostDOG

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • It's confirmed - I am too sexy!
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2007, 08:04:27 am »
Lost dog

I agree with you that the good bikes outnumber the bad bikes. But for the owners of the bad bikes it leaves a very bitter taste in the mouth.

In the last four years I rode more than 100 000km on 3 different bikes and so far the only ,mechanical or electronic problems I had was a petrol pump failure (AT) and main headlight bulb blew twice (12GS and 12GSA)

I am not saying that the problems should not be aired - they should and they should be dealt with by the manufacturer. BUT, the "desperation/worry" that you get when you read the headings of threads on Orange Crush is a bit dissilutioning - surely they are not that BAD!

In all process manufacturing there is a possibility that a "bad batch" occurs. Any reasonable QC plan will allow for this. So, the low percentages explained above are "acceptable" in accordance with good practice - thus, what BMW are doing for Davy is excellent - they are managing the problem.
It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The windnoise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. Suck it up. -- Scary Gary MC

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2007, 08:13:37 am »
The reality is this ... if the engine is replaced and this is a FLAW of then the replacement should also blow again in 3000 kms ... and again rplaced under warranty and so on ... if you motor is replaced your warranty starts from scratch on that motor.

Last when I looked around 600 bikes did the GSC and I am sure more than 6 made it back home.
Never underestimate the power of denial.
Briek Merke ... wat ek so hier en daar op my lewenspad sien of los.

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2007, 08:14:02 am »
From all i hear BMW service is really great,so i reckon they would sort you,give them another chance-too many people only have good to say........or buy 3 KLR"s
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

bobnob

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2007, 08:49:03 am »
at the end of the day its all mechanical devices and things do go wrong

luck of the draw - thats all it is...

Offline The TRANSPORTER

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2007, 09:30:21 am »
Well must agree 100% with ADV and Michnus,dont advertise something what it aint.

All of us love our beemers and Steady i did read the WHOLE thread and was quoting Mike there stating IF they were fixing and opening it up would you like that on your bike????

The bottom line is recalling and fixing the problem coz like Michnus were saying it could happen to your and my bike..... ;) ;)
I told her i was married, she said 'me too, who cares, lets ride!'

Offline Ratel

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dubai
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2007, 09:30:35 am »
Lost dog

You used up all your luck for the bikes and now there is nothing left to dodge the KK's >:D
"Stercus accidit..."

Offline Ratel

• Dubai
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2007, 09:31:53 am »
I wonder if Corkscrew's 1200 GS had the same problem when his engine blew up ???
"Stercus accidit..."

kurt

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2007, 09:58:56 am »
Has anybody taken fuel quality into consideration? The book recommends 95RON,  a lot of times we can only get 93RON out in the gammadoolas. And is the fuel grade really what is claimed to be on the pump sticker?
I have the same concerns with diesel for my 2 LR Td5's, but in over 220000km with both motors...so far so good.
My buddy took his Fireblade for some dyno tuning/mapping, and the issue of fuel grade/quality and pre-ignition problems leading to engine failure came up.
Can this be a problem for the Boxer motor as well? Add altitude and extreme heat...
But then BMW have got the resources to research and pre-empt these problems here in Southern Africa.
Lachlan, was hast Du dazu zusagen?
How about a tech/research fred on this forum?
My boxer had a miss between 4K and 5K rpm, returning from Amersfort. It turned out to be a dud spark-plug. Now she runs happy again.

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2007, 10:01:02 am »
You are very right about the fuel ratings ... many guys go for the low octane to save a few cents ... there has been a thread about fuel ratings somewhere.
Never underestimate the power of denial.
Briek Merke ... wat ek so hier en daar op my lewenspad sien of los.

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2007, 10:07:56 am »
If I pay that amount of money - I would demand a new bike not a new engin, period.

In so far as the 'go around not over the rock' argument goes - I would respond by saying 'mount a bash-plate to the frame not the sump casing- stupid'.

I see more orange on the horizon....

H

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2007, 10:11:19 am »
If I pay that amount of money - I would demand a new bike not a new engin, period.

In so far as the 'go around not over the rock' argument goes - I would respond by saying 'mount a bash-plate to the frame not the sump casing- stupid'.

H

+1 or 'FARKING A'!
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2007, 10:43:35 am »
If I pay that amount of money - I would demand a new bike not a new engin, period

The engine broke, not the frame and tyres and rims and steering and lights and clocks and forks and so on.
 ;D

Bla bla bla, jada jada jada, BMW sort him that's cool, they HAVE to, not if they feel like it. He got a warranty with the bike.

kurt

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2007, 10:45:26 am »

H

+1 or 'FARKING A'!

Ya, no-well-fine...I lined up to go 'round da rock, but da blerry rock jumped out in front, demmit. Or was it a warthog?  :clown:

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2007, 10:54:19 am »
engine broke, not the frame and tyres and rims and steering and lights and clocks and forks and so on

Thats where i differ - brand new bike, major mechanical failure.  In my eyes as the customer the bike failed, not the engin.....

Maybe they must start thinking from the customer's perspective instead of their fragile ego perspective - especially after spending so much money on the 'brand' and the livestyle?

I can expect it from Kawa - R40k for a bike - one is not paying much for service - but R140k...... ::)

H

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2007, 11:09:31 am »
Has anybody taken fuel quality into consideration? The book recommends 95RON,  a lot of times we can only get 93RON out in the gammadoolas. And is the fuel grade really what is claimed to be on the pump sticker?
I have the same concerns with diesel for my 2 LR Td5's, but in over 220000km with both motors...so far so good.
My buddy took his Fireblade for some dyno tuning/mapping, and the issue of fuel grade/quality and pre-ignition problems leading to engine failure came up.
Can this be a problem for the Boxer motor as well? Add altitude and extreme heat...
But then BMW have got the resources to research and pre-empt these problems here in Southern Africa.
My boxer had a miss between 4K and 5K rpm, returning from Amersfort. It turned out to be a dud spark-plug. Now she runs happy again.

AmaRideRide posted recently about his bike inadvertently getting a petrol/diesel mixture on a trip - in his case the the 1200's software (that's supposed to protect the engine from preigniting) probably saved his engine.

I think the whole point of that software was to compensate for 'off the beaten track' and grammadoelas fuel situations.

It should work for you (like in Ama's case) and not against you (like in Davy's) case.

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline l3oK

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2007, 11:10:41 am »
I actually think Davy received great customer service, other than organizing him a lap dance on his way home after they picked him up, I don't think they could have done any more. They could have said, "Ok bring it tomorrow and we'll see if we can fix your engine, we'll be kind and give you a discount on the labor as  this is not included in the warranty".  ;D

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2007, 11:13:38 am »
Point taken

One rand or R140k makes no difference, Poepoljack got the same treatment when his KLR motor went, they did not replace was'nt necessary, but Kawa aproved major repairs in one day.

kurt

« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2007, 11:25:26 am »

AmaRideRide posted recently about his bike inadvertently getting a petrol/diesel mixture on a trip - in his case the the 1200's software (that's supposed to protect the engine from preigniting) probably saved his engine.

I think the whole point of that software was to compensate for 'off the beaten track' and grammadoelas fuel situations.

It should work for you (like in Ama's case) and not against you (like in Davy's) case.

That makes me feel a little better, Eisbein.
And thanx for correcting my spelling; grammadoelas.  8)

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2007, 11:32:48 am »
Lost dog

You used up all your luck for the bikes and now there is nothing left to dodge the KK's >:D

Ratel, the buggers seem to follow me everywhere..... ;D
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.