Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 1200 GSA engine failure!!  (Read 10941 times)

David van Breda

1200 GSA engine failure!!
« on: October 17, 2007, 03:22:11 pm »
I had a tough day yesterday which left me completely disillusioned! 

As I mentioned elsewhere on the site, my new 1200GSA's fuelpump failed at 1000kms leaving me stranded in traffic . . .
It was duly replaced by the agent the next day and all was well again.

I was on a long trip yesterday.  Riding along in pure pliss thru thunderstorms and open veld, I noticed a ''flat spot'' in acceleration around the 140-150km/h mark.  Over that speed it pulled lik an ox all the way further into illegal speeds.

Sitting lekker at around 160 there was a complete loss of power and engine cut-out with all the accompanying backfire and pinging type noises . . .  I somehow recovered the engine and continued to ride on.  I was in a remote part of the country with no cellphone reception and not a lot of options . . .

Then about 50-60kms further, there was a moer of a bang and the whole farking motor just clonked out!  It was completely in its moer . . . Blown to pieces . . .

I had reception by then and called my friendly BMW dealer (they really are!) and they promptly organized a rescue team.  After a while they called me back and told me that research shows that about 60 of the 1000 GSA's sold in SA has suffered the same fate because of a software glitch in the electronic engine management sytem!  Apparently the system pre or post ignite around 14-150 in 6th gear and then eventually you have an engine failure.

We agreed in principle to have a new engine fitted with all the new warranties in place again but firmly stated that they do not gaurentee it will not happen again!  They are still working on the software and some kind of additive in the fuel will help for the time being!

I have a meeting with them tomorrow and will basically tell them to fix and take back the bike.  It has now done 3400kms but I have lost faith in it sadly!  It has now officially a worse track record than all of the 9 Land Rovers I owned in my life!  Obviously I cannot find the words to describe my total sadness and feeling of loss,  but in the end, I cannot continue on this path with a 160k investment!

« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 03:24:37 pm by Davy »

Offline LostDOG

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • It's confirmed - I am too sexy!
Re: 1200 GSA engine failure!!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 03:26:16 pm »
Sorry to hear this - never lekka thing!

Hope all turns out ok in the end.
It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The windnoise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. Suck it up. -- Scary Gary MC

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 03:28:06 pm »
Jeez Davy.

Understand how you feel. Not nice. Hope you get sorted out. Please keep us updated on what happened and why. :-\

Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Uiltjie

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Caledon
    • http://www.goudinie.co.za
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 03:29:49 pm »
  It has now officially a worse track record than all of the 9 Land Rovers I owned in my life! 

Damn, that takes some doing! ;D

Good luck buddy, not easy!

Gaan vang vis!
"Sit vis vobiscum."

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 03:36:03 pm »
Sheez - that's not lekker to hear...

Such a cool bike and such issues.

3500 k's ? Lucky the okes at teh BeeEm shop sounds like they won't give you too much grief.

That is sad.

Give it back to them and buy a 1150GSA and a KTM640
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Beemer Man (RIP)

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 03:54:04 pm »
Eeich I hate to hear this kind of thing, those Boxer motors have been so bullet proof for years, its all this Hi-tec wizardry that causes this Kark, I hope you come right. :(
I think if I actually found My mind, I probably wouldn't know what to do with it,

Offline Dirt Dog

• Tarred roads rule
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 03:59:41 pm »
Not lekka, sorry to hear. Makes me embarrased to give the KTM guys so much Kark
Tarred roads rule

Offline Biesie

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 04:02:18 pm »
Damn Davy ..."dis nou 'n kakke"  :(... all of the best ...

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 04:09:43 pm »
Very sorry to hear Davey
a sad incidence

hope you have better luck with the next bike

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 04:16:49 pm »
I heard about this issue a few days ago, what makes me the moer in is BMW KNOW about this problem and are doing FARKALL about it. WHEN they have a cure for the software glitch, (Whoever meets Bill Gates, please moer him for me!) they will have a recall, until then they hope not too many will fail. Strangely enough, this is NOT an engine problem, it is a SOFTWARE problem. IMO they should have installed last years software on ALL the units made after a certain date until this problem is cured, are they?

I still love my 1150 GSA, but the Citrus Conversion is calling.......
BMW's halo is slipping.......

Davy, hang on a bit before you tell them to stick their 1200 where the sun don't shine, check if they can give you a NEW BIKE with OLD software until they sort their kark out.
IMO they should replace you entire bike, you will now have a different engine number, making it dodgy to sell in future.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Poffmuis

• aka Newguy
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Rally rally rally
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 04:35:56 pm »
eish, hope they get you sorted  :-[

Offline Highlander

• There can be only one !!
  • Bike: Piaggio (all models)
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 05:29:30 pm »
shaait this is bad, i would've cried

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 05:46:24 pm »
shaait this is bad, i would've cried

+1
Especially after that amount of money spent and the fact that the bike has died on you a 2nd time.

I mean one of the reasons I would spend the money on something brand new is to think that it is actually going to be reliable.
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Mikedabike

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 06:10:12 pm »
you will now have a different engine number, making it dodgy to sell in future.
this not quite correct cos they only replace the internals as far as I am aware Adventurer and thus the engine number remains the same....not dodgy at all  ;D  ;D  ;D
"if your life were to flash before your eyes make sure it is worth watching"

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 06:19:52 pm »
you will now have a different engine number, making it dodgy to sell in future.
this not quite correct cos they only replace the internals as far as I am aware Adventurer and thus the engine number remains the same....not dodgy at all  ;D  ;D  ;D

Ok, I stand corrected, but when is BMW actually going to fix this problem? This is just plain NOT ACCEPTABLE! I have always been a staunch BMW guy, but this type of crap, including the kark discs, is just not on!
If I'VE heard about this piston failure problem because of crappy software, why is not being URGENTLY addressed by BMW?
Are they doing the 'disc' thing and burying their heads in the sand, hoping it will 'go away'?

PS, I would not want a 'rebuilt' motor, even if the casings are original!
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

David van Breda

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2007, 06:23:58 pm »
No I will not have the engine fixed....they agreed to ship a new one complete in the box..."  .... in the next 3 weeks or so!  "  Boy we gonna have to get a few things straight tomorrow!

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2007, 06:44:13 pm »
GIVE THEM KARK DAVY!!!!!!
I too am tiring of the current attitude of the powers that be.

And why 3 weeks? Are they flying it around the world a few times? It CAN be delivered within 48 hours! Aeroplanes are not THAT slow!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 06:44:42 pm by Adventurer »

Online IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2007, 07:16:24 pm »
GIVE THEM KARK DAVY!!!!!!
I too am tiring of the current attitude of the powers that be.

And why 3 weeks? Are they flying it around the world a few times? It CAN be delivered within 48 hours! Aeroplanes are not THAT slow!

i agree with adventurer , if your name was charlie or ewan you would have a new motor yesterday already ...unacceptable this 3 week delay.

So BMW are admitting to 60 out of a 1000 .... :-\   now i would think that the software is the same on all the adv's so why only 60?

Davy, remember one thing, when they change the motor make sure BM change the registration papers as well and do all the bearacracy otherwise you in for another headache somewhere down the road believe me. Insist on a new motor though.
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline Leo

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2007, 07:20:40 pm »
Not nice too hear.  :o

Makes me wonder why my bike gives me no kark. Mine should also have the latest software, it's a Feb 07 model, but in 33 000 km's I have had no kark what so-ever ;)

Maybe this will be a way for me to get a brand new motor  ::)

So Davy you just klapped it along at 160 plus?  You run it on 95 Super Fast Unleaded Green Juice?
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007, 07:52:21 pm »
Not nice too hear.  :o

Makes me wonder why my bike gives me no kark. Mine should also have the latest software, it's a Feb 07 model, but in 33 000 km's I have had no kark what so-ever ;)

Maybe this will be a way for me to get a brand new motor  ::)

So Davy you just klapped it along at 160 plus?  You run it on 95 Super Fast Unleaded Green Juice?

Good to see you again tonight Leo, but can you not read  ;D ;D it is the 140 to 150 range, not your "cruising speed" the software probably leans it out too much for emission reasons and probably an Altitude issue, who else in the world cruises at this altitude at 140 / 150 except from our guys, remember the turbo diesels from BWM, would love to know if it just a Reef issue, as was the Turbo Diesels?

Welsh
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?