Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 1200 GSA engine failure!!  (Read 10284 times)

Offline Grootseun

Re: 1200 GSA engine failure!!
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2007, 03:07:50 pm »
are they replacing the EMS as well or just the engine?

Offline Pom

• Amateur Grease Monkey
  • Bike: Ducati Hypermotard
  • Non bastardus carborundum
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2007, 03:34:46 pm »
I would be happy with a new engine replacement on my bike with 37000km ...it is a bargain ...new warranties etc.

But on a new bike with 3000km and less than one year old ...I would expect a new bike.
You have spent lots of money put together according to standards ...now the engine is replaced without any guarantee that those standards are met ...most likely with a bolt, screw or clip missing.

I work for a German Car Manufacturer and the warranty on all product are worded more or less the same and it goes something like this:

If a part is replaced under warranty (engine, gearbox, brake caliper or wherever) in month 2 or a 2 year warranty, then that part carries the remainder of the 2 years.  If a (engine, gearbox, brake caliper or wherever) is replaced on the last week of the 2 year warranty, that part is warrantied for the week until the 2 year initial contract / warranty is up.  If a customer pay in for the part, it carries a 2 year warranty on that part.

So Davys engine will be covered for just under 2 years (+/- 6 tp 9 weeks) depending on when he get his bike back. That is fact, not fiction. As any dealer.

Wow, that's a new one I've never heard before (I am not doubting the validity of the statement) but if an engine fails after 103 weeks of the 2 year warranty, despite the fact a new unit is fitted the warranty on the new engine is only valid for 7 days. Sounds like a general cop out to me.

Success is a matter of hanging on, after others have let go.
Proudly Ducatisti

bobnob

« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2007, 03:38:37 pm »
I would be happy with a new engine replacement on my bike with 37000km ...it is a bargain ...new warranties etc.

But on a new bike with 3000km and less than one year old ...I would expect a new bike.
You have spent lots of money put together according to standards ...now the engine is replaced without any guarantee that those standards are met ...most likely with a bolt, screw or clip missing.

I work for a German Car Manufacturer and the warranty on all product are worded more or less the same and it goes something like this:

If a part is replaced under warranty (engine, gearbox, brake caliper or wherever) in month 2 or a 2 year warranty, then that part carries the remainder of the 2 years.  If a (engine, gearbox, brake caliper or wherever) is replaced on the last week of the 2 year warranty, that part is warrantied for the week until the 2 year initial contract / warranty is up.  If a customer pay in for the part, it carries a 2 year warranty on that part.

So Davys engine will be covered for just under 2 years (+/- 6 tp 9 weeks) depending on when he get his bike back. That is fact, not fiction. As any dealer.

Wow, that's a new one I've never heard before (I am not doubting the validity of the statement) but if an engine fails after 103 weeks of the 2 year warranty, despite the fact a new unit is fitted the warranty on the new engine is only valid for 7 days. Sounds like a general cop out to me.

nope its true...

and in a certain respect i can understand it

lets put it this way

2 weeks before the warranty runs out i will just rev the motor in neutral until it pops!

then get a new motor with a new 2 year warranty - then 2 weeks before that warranty runs out i will just rev it....

you get the picture...

Offline mcfinnigan

« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2007, 03:52:26 pm »
bob - most manufacturer warranties explicitly exclude warranty claims caused by abuse.

I'm pretty sure revving an engine to destruction will leave some pretty clear evidence when the engine is disassembled.

McF

Offline MrBig

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph 955 Tiger
  • Stellenbosch
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2007, 04:07:51 pm »
I think BobNob just tried to make a point.

Fact is - you've paid for a 2 year warranty. Why should you get more?

"I know you think you understand what I said, but what you don't understand is what I said is not what I mean."

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2007, 04:11:28 pm »
BeeEm is certainly coming to the party on this.

But can't they sort the software out ?

Them not leaving you and accommodating you is very good

I don't know how they are 'coming to the party' - they are just doing the normal/minimum.

1. New bike
2. Engin popped
3. Known software cause

What must they do - OR what can they do.  Jeez

H

Offline FortyZA

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • East London
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2007, 04:14:02 pm »
McF,

Normally it can be seen but some people have ways and means to cover up some tracks (mechanical) but when it comes to the electronic's side, they get caught out. What also is taken into account is the way the customer behaves when doing the claim which is taken into account. If you shout and rant and rave, verbally abuse the person, the harder they fight back.  Sometimes people are open and upfront and the manufacturer tend to look the otherway and it helps.

The thing that one needs to bear in mind is, are you willing to take a chance or be causght out and have to carry the cost yourself?
BMW 1220 Adv (2006)
WR450F (777 - cool blue)
KDX 250 (Pink panther) Sold

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2007, 04:20:43 pm »
f things do go wrong with my BMW I expect to see that backend and frontend machine kick into gear and resolve my issue

Well either that front-end or that back-end hide a front tele-lever from LS earlier this year when he needed it most in Botswana.  How many did they have in SA ---  10/ 6 /3 1????   noo  0, niks, nul ---why 'because they don't break - yeah...  Great frontend that - for f -sakes its a working part, carry stock???

Unfortunately the real BM - lovers and users have to pay the high prices of the posers.  I pity those guys.  Wait another month - the BM guys are in for a surprise with the insurance scheme too - the companies don't want to have BMs on their schemes because of the high cost of parts, the 'closeness' of the network (read price manupilation) and since they replace parts unnecessarily - fact is the BMs will put any scheme at risk.

H

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2007, 04:31:33 pm »
Good thing I am Insured with the BMW Insurance package.
Never underestimate the power of denial.
Briek Merke ... wat ek so hier en daar op my lewenspad sien of los.

David van Breda

« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2007, 04:45:46 pm »
Hmmm ... so what Bike are you going to buy now ?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Shoot me Colyn but . . .

Just look at that big smile!!

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2007, 04:48:43 pm »
Good thing indeed - maybe they just raised the GS riders insurance by between 20 and 50% the past year - the roadbikes like yours is safe from abuse.

H

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2007, 04:50:25 pm »
No no no

If you buy a Harley, please get the Nightster:

http://www.cycleworld.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=272

the best looking stock Harley I have ever seen!

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2007, 04:52:31 pm »
I wanna term a new phrase - 'Brand Blindless' - its when one is complete blind for any issue whatsoever of one's brand - there is absolutely nothing wrong with my brand

H

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2007, 04:55:44 pm »
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 11:09:20 am by Sláinte Mhaith »

David van Breda

« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2007, 04:57:08 pm »
I agree LS...a stunner....but I also like...

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2007, 05:42:21 pm »
Well Davy if you are now looking at something like that ... why not look at at one of these ...

I can assure you this bike runs for days on end without a stutter and there is no pinging and overheating etc. in it.

Just go and ride one ... ride it out of the city and onto the open road ... take some twisties.

Looks like you are in Namibia ... man the LT will eat those long open roads day after day after day.

You are disappointed and I can understand it and now you are making a big change to your biking thing ... do not miss out on this option.
Never underestimate the power of denial.
Briek Merke ... wat ek so hier en daar op my lewenspad sien of los.

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2007, 06:01:59 pm »
Guy's please keep this topic related.

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2007, 07:08:43 pm »

If a part is replaced under warranty (engine, gearbox, brake caliper or wherever) in month 2 or a 2 year warranty, then that part carries the remainder of the 2 years.  If a (engine, gearbox, brake caliper or wherever) is replaced on the last week of the 2 year warranty, that part is warrantied for the week until the 2 year initial contract / warranty is up.  If a customer pay in for the part, it carries a 2 year warranty on that part.

Quite right, this is absolutely the norm in industry, regard it as an insurance you paid for (as extended warranties are) when it is over it is over. Only if you contribute does it roll over.

Welsh   
Hell hath no Fury, Like a Wife with NO SMOKES!!

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2007, 09:34:31 pm »
OK had a web perusal.

See nothing significant, no patern, trust me the overseas boys scream.

I am more convinced, altitude steady throttle (our roads) at a specific speed with poor fuel quality.
Hell hath no Fury, Like a Wife with NO SMOKES!!

Offline FortyZA

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • East London
« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2007, 07:48:03 am »
Welsh,
I agree
I am more convinced, altitude steady throttle (our roads) at a specific speed with poor fuel quality.
My 1200 GS Adv has the same, when I hear it pinging, I twist the gas open and the noise goes away because the ECU enriches the fuel mix.  Sometimes I just vary the throttle so the ECU does not get into a norm where it leans it off but I can assure you BMW will pay if my engine destroys itself.

BMW, wake up and get this matter in hand, what is taking you so long.
BMW 1220 Adv (2006)
WR450F (777 - cool blue)
KDX 250 (Pink panther) Sold