Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 1200 GSA engine failure!!  (Read 10933 times)

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: 1200 GSA engine failure!!
« Reply #160 on: October 22, 2007, 02:43:11 pm »
Just back from my friendly BM dealer. . .

Seems like there is no complete engine available but only subs.  >:(

Told them I am not interested and it now seems that with a spot of luck they might consider giving me a new bike!  ;D ;D

Told them I will nurse it until they find the problem and a solution for it.  ;)

Cool, push them hard, tell them you WILL NOT wait until they find a complete engine, then they HAVE to give you a new scoot.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Scribble

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • RIP Coco thanks for the great times
« Reply #161 on: October 22, 2007, 06:51:18 pm »
what are you now supposed to ride whilst you are waiting or does that not factor in to this at all
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Scribble

« Reply #162 on: October 22, 2007, 07:29:30 pm »
Scribble

RE Pinging on the 1150.

On the 1150 - and I stress that this is what has worked for me.

- I run the standard silencer with a y-piece.
- Standard Air Filter
- The 1150 CAT Code Plug is yellow. This has beeen replaced with the beige CAT CP
   from the 1100 gs.  This bambboozles the computer setting and more fuel is injected
   across the rev range.
- Make sure your valve adjustment is right.
- Make sure your Throttle bodies are set evenly.
- Where possibble I run on 95 plus Octane.

Despite all the above on a very hot Highveld day pinging is possible. I then add a little Octane Booster to each tank of fuel which I have found to be the best solution.  During the winter months I have no problems at all.

Adventurer can probably confirm , but I believe the 1150 Adventure has no cat code plug at all and this will allow the richest setting possible.

y
obi wan thanks for the reply
as i understand the 1150 gsa has 8 or 9 different maps all controlled by the ccp.
or rather which ever one is put in
the 9 pins in the socket are connected i think in twos or threes and removing the plug create an open circiut which i think is what you are referring to this then takes a sensor out of the  equation and then allows the richest map possible yes/no??
diferent configurations of the 9 pins will give maps good for the config that you are running
ie stock pipe,cat and filter or aftermarket pipe or filter and y piece or any combo of those
not really sure about all of this just what i can make out from the guys at ukgser

why does the bike ping when pulling a too low gear sometimes and when you change down it stops     
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

David van Breda

« Reply #163 on: October 22, 2007, 08:02:47 pm »
Sorry for the long story, but below is my letter as posted on BMW Motorrad Discussion Forum.  I was a bit despondent when it was not posted but pleasantly surprised today when I got a reply from them.  With this attitude I am sure they will put a lot of minds to rest, including my own! ;D

I ordered a white 1200GSA earlier this year in anticipation to fulfill a long standing dream.  It now appears to be a sort of nightmare rather than a sweet dream!
>
> I took delivery of one of the most beautiful bikes on the road today early in September.  I was as proud as a first-time father and the personnel at Danric Motors Windhoek (BMW Dealers) made every effort to further enhance this experience.  Hedley Trevor especially was very precise and helpful during the whole process.  I am not a typical biker but more a sucker for the perceived (in my opinion) affluent lifestyle presented by BMW Motorrad and its products.  As such I was prepared to part with a huge sum of my bank managers pocket in acquiring this bike. 

Man, is that bike the most rewarding open-, dirtroad experience you can have . . ?!  I was fortunate enough to take a sosl trip over the
mountains and thru the desert to Swakopmund over one weekend and the experience will be with me for a long time.
>
Then one nite riding home after work it died in the middle of traffic with me.  The oddmeter said 1000km on the spot.  No amount of coaxing could get it back to life again.  BMW locally was quick to recover the bike and replaced a faulty fuelpump the next morning even when they had nothing in stock.  Suffice to say, they made a plan and I was a happy rider again.
>
About 5 weeks later this last Monday, I rode up country for about 450kms to visit one of my worksites.  Again it was an exhilarating experience
even if it was rather hot at around 36 degrees Celsius.  On the way, I made a mental note to return the bike to the dealership when I am back since I felt a slight "flatspot" in acceleration around 140-150km/h in 6th gear.
>
I did my work on site and saddled up for the short way down to the office again on Tuesday afternoon.  Sitting at around 160km/h there was an
instant and complete loss of power followed by some backfiring of the engine and it started to run ruff.  It regain composure to some extent and I continued to ride in the hope to make the next town where I will have cellphone reception to holler for help.
>
Well it did not last and after a while I heard the engine disintegrate and shut down.  i did make it into cellphone reception though and promptly
call the dealer for assistance.
>
As before, Hedley was very helpful and within minutes he had a recovery operation in action.  He called me back and although his honesty was
admirable, the whole issue turned bleak from there on wards.  Apparently this is a known problem that some of the engines fail because of a
faulty software issue.  (In fact I was told mine was number 59 for this year . . .!)  Faulty in the sense that the software tries to achieve the optimum emission regulation and as such destruct the engine.  I am no engineer but taking the heat, altitude, relative low octane fuel and emission parameters into consideration, the software tunes the enige to lean and this causes piston failure (over heat) with obvious onsequences.
>
The dealer is obviously replacing the engine but admit that there is no solution for the problem yet and a similar mishap might take place
again.  I am unfortunately not happy with such an approach and have subsequently asked them to take the bike back.  They agreed to that and we will hopefully resolve this in the next week.
>
The whole experience left me with confusing emotions . . .  First of all I am so incredibly sad to not have a beautiful Adventure anymore.  Secondly I am grateful for the assistance from the BMW dealer in Windhoek.  Lastly I am a bit baffled that BMW continue to sell these bikes with this apparent shortcoming since Feb this year.  I am told that only about 5.7% of the bikes sold have this problem and as such it is acceptable.  Like me who now falls inside that 5.7%, my devastation is 100% and as such not acceptable!

Answer from BMW Motorrad SA
Dear Mr Van Breda,

Thank you for your mail forwarded to me via our web master and for the opportunity to respond.

First of all we must apologise for the inconvenience caused by the failure of your motorcycle.

We are very aware of the problem encountered by yourself with your motorcycle and please be assured that we find the situation totally unacceptable and have escalated the problem to the highest possible level in Germany.

The reason we have continued to sell the Boxer Engine models is that the problem has occurred in a very small numbers of these units and it is not clearly definable as to the production dates within which the problem occurs.

We are totally reliant on the technical department of Germany to supply a suitable solution, a task that they have been hard at work with for the past weeks.
Further correspondence with Germany this morning confirmed that the software update is currently in the final test fazes and will be available to SA in the very near future.

Again we must apologise for the situation and please be assured, we will not stop till the situation has been resolved.

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards

Rob Holder
National After Sales Manager
Motorcycles
BMW Motorrad South Africa

Offline gonedown

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • Amakaya Backpackers
« Reply #164 on: October 22, 2007, 08:12:06 pm »
Sounds like a standard letter that makes no commitment at all - no timing as to when the new software will be available and whether all 'newish' bikes be recalled for the upgrade??

At least it admits to being aware of a problem existing. :o
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 08:13:11 pm by gonedown »
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

David van Breda

« Reply #165 on: October 22, 2007, 08:18:50 pm »
Ja well . . .

I am sort of desperate here to get my darn bike back, so any news along this line is good news.  Now if I can convince the dealer here to give me a new bike, I'll be a happy chappy! ;D

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #166 on: October 22, 2007, 08:32:01 pm »
That reply impresses me no end.....At least you were not told it is damaged because of 'wear and tear'........
Give em hell Davey.....
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

David van Breda

« Reply #167 on: October 22, 2007, 08:36:53 pm »
Ja I don't think it is a standard reply at all.  One of my mates is one of the owners of the dealership and I have not even considered talking to him about this issue yet.  I feel we are getting along quite well this side to be honest! 

I hope we will have a final positive desicion on the replacement of the complete bike tomorrow. 8)

David van Breda

« Reply #168 on: October 22, 2007, 08:47:00 pm »
what are you now supposed to ride whilst you are waiting or does that not factor in to this at all

Scribble,

I don't want to jeopordize my chances on getting a new bike or screwing up the good relationship with the okes at the dealer by being unnecessary hardegat whilst I am not dependant on the bike, So I am prepared to let that one slide . . . . and above all it is raining in Windhoek anyway!

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
« Reply #169 on: October 22, 2007, 08:50:17 pm »
Inspite of some negative comments made about Rob Holder's response I am of the opinion that the answer is short and to the point.

No ducking of the issue.
No impossible commitments.
No twisting of the facts.
No spin on the sollution.

Now something else ...

A man that I trust on technical issues and respect for his brutal honesty did the following ...

He fitted an aftermarket pipe and a Power Commander to a brand new GS 1200 and rode the crap out of it for almost 3,000 kms in 5 days.

Zero problems with the bike ... and as another piece of info ... it was not ONE bike ... there were 5 in the group ... same engines same conversions.

Ok so what does that tell me ... it tells me the theory about the bad software is true. It also tells me that the fix for this problem is not impossible and gives credibility to Rob Holder's reference to the upcoming update.

So no need to panic and go and fit pipes and PC's. Just hang in there for a while and get the right fix from BMW.

Consider this ... this 1200 engine represents a major part of their business here in ZA ... do you for one moment think that they will place all of that at risk and just sit back and do nothing while the problem kills their reputation ... I think not.

@ Davy ... I am confident you are in good hands and the outcome for you will be good ... please do not allow people to incite you to do crazy stuff that will have no positive prospects apart from stirring up emotions.
Never underestimate the power of denial.
Briek Merke ... wat ek so hier en daar op my lewenspad sien of los.

Offline Scribble

« Reply #170 on: October 22, 2007, 08:56:42 pm »

Scribble,

I don't want to jeopordize my chances on getting a new bike or screwing up the good relationship with the okes at the dealer by being unnecessary hardegat whilst I am not dependant on the bike, So I am prepared to let that one slide . . . . and above all it is raining in Windhoek anyway!
rain in Nam must be cos of the letter ;) but i get your point

David van Breda

« Reply #171 on: October 22, 2007, 09:05:43 pm »
No Colyn,

The emotions was sort of left under the Witgatboom that day the engine popped!  I am sure we will win and I will get the bike back purring like a cat! ;D

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #172 on: October 22, 2007, 09:54:39 pm »
That reply impresses me no end.....At least you were not told it is damaged because of 'wear and tear'........
Give em hell Davey.....

Trust me, I am not a lawyer, but I am well versed in contractual law, that letter is rock solid and impressive. Not sure if I would write the same in their position  :-[ :-[, it is good.

VERY reassuring.

Welsh
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #173 on: October 22, 2007, 09:54:47 pm »
 :happy1:

Offline topbox

• Forum Vendor
    • Adventure Rider
« Reply #174 on: October 22, 2007, 10:02:28 pm »

He fitted an aftermarket pipe and a Power Commander to a brand new GS 1200 and rode the crap out of it for almost 3,000 kms in 5 days.

How long has the Power Commander for the Gs1200 been available ?
[size=7.5pt]www.advrider.co.za [/size]

Kickstarting an XR is like a raindance, once you know the secret ritual you can make it rain on command.
 R1200GS, XR650R, XT500, WR450, XR250 BAJA, CT110

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
« Reply #175 on: October 22, 2007, 10:38:53 pm »
I am not exactly sure but will try and find out exactly what was used ...

My point is this ... if a plugin chip resolves the problem BMW will fix it with their software too without needing a chip ... this experiment proofed the suspicion we had that it was purely software and not hardware.
Never underestimate the power of denial.
Briek Merke ... wat ek so hier en daar op my lewenspad sien of los.

Offline halfjob

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #176 on: October 23, 2007, 08:20:07 am »
hi davy, just out of interest, did the oil temp rise when this happened?
i only work to support my hobbies!!

Offline fruitandveg

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #177 on: October 23, 2007, 08:34:28 am »
Hi Davy

Also out of interest did it start to idle a little rough before the motor gave in?

David van Breda

« Reply #178 on: October 23, 2007, 09:03:46 am »
The oil temp was normal.  I started 100% before the failure after I refueled!

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #179 on: October 23, 2007, 09:13:10 am »
sorry to buck the trend here, that reply to me is corporate BS....no commitment is made to repair yr bike quicker ...just that it has been escalated to the highest possible level in Germany....hahahahaah now that is a cop out and who is this highest possible level in germany and why are BM ZA (africa) not taking responsibility an getting it sorted.... surely BM SA has more pull than a mediocre lil escalation ....cant they make decisions here????
Born to lose, live to win!!