Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 1200 GSA engine failure!!  (Read 10906 times)

Offline Obi -Wan

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Re: 1200 GSA engine failure!!
« Reply #180 on: October 23, 2007, 09:31:04 am »
Sorry guys

Scribble and I are hijacking the thread a bit but , yes, you are right. There are a number of pin configurations for the 1150 dependant on market region , altitude, Fuel available etc. The combination used on the 1100 gs ( Beige colour CCP ) is the one that fits the 1150 best for South Africa  ( Hot and sometimes high altitude ) conditions.

The pinging ( detonation ) is caused , I believe by a combination of :

-  Poor quality fuel
 -  Incorrect valve adjustment
 -  Incorrect Throttle body syncronisation
 -  The standard ( yellow ) CCP does not supply enough fuel  ( runs too lean ). You can
    run extremely lean air /fuel ratios ( 16 to 1 ) safely in multi- cylinder water cooled
    engines that are using top line multipoint digital fuel injection controls.
-   You cannot do this on an air / oil cooled horizontally opposed twin. The margin for
     error is too thin. In Germany, BMW must meet certain emission control requirements
     but Germany is firstly much cooler for most of the year, and secondly close to sea
     level. Highveld conditions simply don;t exist!

-  Particularly on the 1150, the addittion of the 1200 gs Left side cam chain tensioner  
    ( R 700, 00 +_ )  goes a long way to making the 1150 start and  run a lot smoother
    and  whilst I have no tangible evidence , i think it helps to reduce detonation as well
    given that slack is removed from the valvetrain operation on the L side of the
     engine.    

Real Men ride a Pig !

David van Breda

« Reply #181 on: October 23, 2007, 10:08:29 am »
sorry to buck the trend here, that reply to me is corporate BS....no commitment is made to repair yr bike quicker ...just that it has been escalated to the highest possible level in Germany....hahahahaah now that is a cop out and who is this highest possible level in germany and why are BM ZA (africa) not taking responsibility an getting it sorted.... surely BM SA has more pull than a mediocre lil escalation ....cant they make decisions here????

I understand your feeling here ICM, however there are some communication going between me, BMW SA and the local dealer that is not all stipulated on here.  The biggest problem is stock.  No engines and new bikes not so readily available.  I hope though, to have a decision before the end of the week that will put me back in the saddle within the next week.  If not, I will raise my voice . . . and obviously hope it works! ;D
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 10:09:08 am by Davy »

Offline Da Tazzman

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • An BMW Adventure is only scared of Schalk Burger!
« Reply #182 on: October 23, 2007, 01:50:11 pm »

He fitted an aftermarket pipe and a Power Commander to a brand new GS 1200 and rode the crap out of it for almost 3,000 kms in 5 days.

How long has the Power Commander for the Gs1200 been available ?

Quite a while actually - official term is the Wunderlich Performance Controller, cost is around R 3800.00 fitted, I have had 5 1200GS's and am on my 9th Adventure, no bleats no kak and all pretty kwik. The one that Colyn was talking about - I just took on the SA Biking Tri-Track Tour (blerry awesome trip I might add)
and I literally did ride absolutely balles to the walles for 2 500 Kms including three different track days, as I said no mess - no fuss and 114 bhp and 103 nM on the dyno. Total work done, "Blue" airfilter, Wunderlich Headers & Hurric pipe and the Perfomance Controller, (same as Power Commander) Contact Auto Alpina 011 418 3300
Not too shabby hey Nige!
If you don't have an Adventure - ya don't have a life!

David van Breda

« Reply #183 on: October 23, 2007, 03:09:04 pm »
I am becoming a BMW fan all over again!! ;D ;D

Just got back from my friendly BM dealer for the daily update!

Lachlan Harris called the local manager today confirming that my bike will be replaced with a new one as soon as they find one to send to Windhoek! 

Wow, sofar so good! ;)

Offline Scribble

• RIP Coco thanks for the great times
« Reply #184 on: October 23, 2007, 06:55:42 pm »
result bru very stoked for you
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #185 on: October 23, 2007, 08:29:19 pm »
Calling ALL Gauteng BMW dealers, anyone have a GSA going begging??????C'mon, help this guy.................. 8) 8) 8)
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Scribble

• RIP Coco thanks for the great times
« Reply #186 on: October 23, 2007, 08:32:51 pm »

He fitted an aftermarket pipe and a Power Commander to a brand new GS 1200 and rode the crap out of it for almost 3,000 kms in 5 days.

Quite a while actually - official term is the Wunderlich Performance Controller, cost is around R 3800.00 fitted, I have had 5 1200GS's and am on my 9th Adventure, no bleats no kak and all pretty kwik. The one that Colyn was talking about - I just took on the SA Biking Tri-Track Tour (blerry awesome trip I might add)
and I literally did ride absolutely balles to the walles for 2 500 Kms including three different track days, as I said no mess - no fuss and 114 bhp and 103 nM on the dyno. Total work done, "Blue" airfilter, Wunderlich Headers & Hurric pipe and the Perfomance Controller, (same as Power Commander) Contact Auto Alpina 011 418 3300
Not too shabby hey Nige!
holy crap dude you are worse than PS
 14 bikes in what 3 years ?what do you do to them
and more importantly how does that adv go on a track?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 08:33:52 pm by Scribble »
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline gonedown

• Amakaya Backpackers
« Reply #187 on: October 23, 2007, 09:47:55 pm »
Good to hear about the replacement Davy - at least the trying to keep the customer happy!
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Offline cheesy

« Reply #188 on: October 23, 2007, 11:23:18 pm »
Hi Davy,
I am a staunch BMW biker for many reasons and your latest posting confirms my belief in that company, Met with Rob @ the GSC a true gentleman, I would certainly trust his word and your new bike is confirmation thereof.
Despite all and sundry trying to get your heckels up you kept cool and it has paid off. guys there is a lesson to be learnt here, incitement is not a good thing.
Now to all those KTM guys who slated this incident, you have short memories gentlemen, did you not notice the number of Dakar bikes stuck in the desert dunes waiting for the back up truck during the last Dakar, as the commentator said" another engine replacement needed" or words to that effect.
Let's be objective in our postings, enjoy the rest of the week and ride this weekend like no other.
Bum in the saddle, always.

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
« Reply #189 on: October 24, 2007, 06:40:35 am »
+1 for Cheesy :)
Never underestimate the power of denial.
Briek Merke ... wat ek so hier en daar op my lewenspad sien of los.

Offline Beemer Man (RIP)

« Reply #190 on: October 24, 2007, 06:45:50 am »

Not too shabby hey Nige!

Just remember guys you will loose any BMW warranty with this fitted, I spoke to Denver Biggs some time ago about this.!!!
I think if I actually found My mind, I probably wouldn't know what to do with it,

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #191 on: October 24, 2007, 06:50:35 am »
cheesy

Now to all those KTM guys who slated this incident, you have short memories gentlemen, did you not notice the number of Dakar bikes stuck in the desert dunes waiting for the back up truck during the last Dakar, as the commentator said" another engine replacement needed" or words to that effect.

Just to get the facts straight not one KTM rider slated this incident, except for Crazy porra's tongue in the cheek comment

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #192 on: October 24, 2007, 07:14:10 am »
Calling ALL Gauteng BMW dealers, anyone have a GSA going begging??????C'mon, help this guy.................. 8) 8) 8)

Try Kimberley (Sovereign motors)..... but problem is that BMWSA would have to arrange - when I wanted - they had 2 in Kimberley, but not the colours the wifey wanted  :-[ - & Motorrad CPT wanted additional R2k to get a bike here.... even though there was a looong waiting list!
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ‹(•¿•)›

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #193 on: October 24, 2007, 08:22:07 am »
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 11:13:58 am by Sláinte Mhaith »

Offline Colyn

• Shutterbug
  • K1200LT - R1200GS
    • Tripwired
« Reply #194 on: October 24, 2007, 08:56:08 am »
I think they are tweaking the software ... this problem has now surfaced in another country. I have been told that the software is under review.
Never underestimate the power of denial.
Briek Merke ... wat ek so hier en daar op my lewenspad sien of los.

Offline Beemer Man (RIP)

« Reply #195 on: October 24, 2007, 08:58:58 am »

Not too shabby hey Nige!

Just remember guys you will loose any BMW warranty with this fitted, I spoke to Denver Biggs some time ago about this.!!!

IMO the performance controller will most likely cause the engine to run more to the rich side, solving the problems associated with running lean ....why can bmw not add something like this for Africa bikes?

Eet is not ze BMW aprooved ghaget zat is vy , from my understanding from Denver, BM have completely dissed this and are not prepared to even enter discussions regarding this controller.
I think if I actually found My mind, I probably wouldn't know what to do with it,

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #196 on: October 24, 2007, 09:19:09 am »
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 11:14:02 am by Sláinte Mhaith »

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #197 on: October 24, 2007, 02:18:48 pm »

Not too shabby hey Nige!

Even if it is fitted at a BMW dealer, as in this case?
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline CrazyPorra

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • The Mutton Man
« Reply #198 on: October 24, 2007, 02:36:51 pm »
cheesy

Just to get the facts straight not one KTM rider slated this incident, except for Crazy porra's tongue in the cheek comment

But that is 'cause I ride a Africa Twin and those bikes can run all day on Stroh.

But seriously this is a S#it thing to happen to anyone no matter what  he lays his hard earned money on.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #199 on: October 24, 2007, 02:46:56 pm »
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 11:14:40 am by Sláinte Mhaith »