1200 GSA engine failure!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

David van Breda

I had a tough day yesterday which left me completely disillusioned! 

As I mentioned elsewhere on the site, my new 1200GSA's fuelpump failed at 1000kms leaving me stranded in traffic . . .
It was duly replaced by the agent the next day and all was well again.

I was on a long trip yesterday.  Riding along in pure pliss thru thunderstorms and open veld, I noticed a ''flat spot'' in acceleration around the 140-150km/h mark.  Over that speed it pulled lik an ox all the way further into illegal speeds.

Sitting lekker at around 160 there was a complete loss of power and engine cut-out with all the accompanying backfire and pinging type noises . . .  I somehow recovered the engine and continued to ride on.  I was in a remote part of the country with no cellphone reception and not a lot of options . . .

Then about 50-60kms further, there was a moer of a bang and the whole farking motor just clonked out!  It was completely in its moer . . . Blown to pieces . . .

I had reception by then and called my friendly BMW dealer (they really are!) and they promptly organized a rescue team.  After a while they called me back and told me that research shows that about 60 of the 1000 GSA's sold in SA has suffered the same fate because of a software glitch in the electronic engine management sytem!  Apparently the system pre or post ignite around 14-150 in 6th gear and then eventually you have an engine failure.

We agreed in principle to have a new engine fitted with all the new warranties in place again but firmly stated that they do not gaurentee it will not happen again!  They are still working on the software and some kind of additive in the fuel will help for the time being!

I have a meeting with them tomorrow and will basically tell them to fix and take back the bike.  It has now done 3400kms but I have lost faith in it sadly!  It has now officially a worse track record than all of the 9 Land Rovers I owned in my life!  Obviously I cannot find the words to describe my total sadness and feeling of loss,  but in the end, I cannot continue on this path with a 160k investment!