April frontier trip - day 5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wino

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
Day 5
After having been holed up for much of the previous day (the lie dice again played its part in retiring Rudeasy) we were anxious to get an early move on to Lady Grey. But first, pics of the churches in Aliwal North:
DSCN3945.jpg

DSCN3946.jpg

The road to Lady Grey: very cold and windy, but with the Drakensberg mountains in the distance infusing our spirits for what may be. We were hoping that the cloudcover along the way was dispersing?
DSCN3947.jpg

DSCN3948.jpg

DSCN3949.jpg

Lady Grey: picturesque town at the foot of the mountains. Over coffee at the hotel we decided to rather do the 40 k?s of Joubert Pass to see the condition of the road.
DSCN3950.jpg

The first stretch of ascent was careful riding with the odd stretches of mud here and there.
DSCN3951.jpg

DSCN3952.jpg

DSCN3953.jpg

Then we hit the top of the pass and dropping on the other side the rain started to come down. First, just a slight drizzle, then it came pelting down. This was going to be interesting?
DSCN3954.jpg

DSCN3955.jpg

DSCN3956.jpg

DSCN3957.jpg

A few times I thought I was losing control and resided myself to my fate, but then I would notice the scribbles left by the other two and have a good laugh, completely forget about my perceived predicament and hustle on through!
DSCN3958.jpg

DSCN3959.jpg

DSCN3960.jpg

DSCN3961.jpg

DSCN3962.jpg

DSCN3963.jpg

DSCN3964.jpg

DSCN3966.jpg

DSCN3968.jpg

Spectacular!
DSCN3969.jpg

Another scribble, notice the increase once the rider hit the side of the road!
DSCN3970.jpg

DSCN3971.jpg

DSCN3972.jpg

Rudeasy coming down to wash his wheels. On this stretch of road he found himself (as on the Katberg Pass) in the bushes at the side of the road a couple of times ? you could sense him regaining his composure after a few long seconds and then pushing on again. Miraculously, however, nobody put their bikes down ? landing gear, well that was used plenty of times!
DSCN3973.jpg

DSCN3974.jpg

DSCN3975.jpg

The rain disappeared as quickly as it came and the last stretch of gravel to the tarmac only provided spots of mud.
DSCN3976.jpg

DSCN3977.jpg

Hitting the tar on the way to Barkley East, the next overnight point.
DSCN3978.jpg

DSCN3979.jpg

Amazingly, no alcohol was consumed this day. Sure, we had a beer over lunch, but that was it. Tired bodies and minds needed their early sleep (well, ?beauty? sleep would be a misnomer!).