Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: April frontier trip - day 5  (Read 627 times)

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
April frontier trip - day 5
« on: May 01, 2006, 12:32:27 pm »
Day 5
After having been holed up for much of the previous day (the lie dice again played its part in retiring Rudeasy) we were anxious to get an early move on to Lady Grey. But first, pics of the churches in Aliwal North:

The road to Lady Grey: very cold and windy, but with the Drakensberg mountains in the distance infusing our spirits for what may be. We were hoping that the cloudcover along the way was dispersing?

Lady Grey: picturesque town at the foot of the mountains. Over coffee at the hotel we decided to rather do the 40 k?s of Joubert Pass to see the condition of the road.

The first stretch of ascent was careful riding with the odd stretches of mud here and there.

Then we hit the top of the pass and dropping on the other side the rain started to come down. First, just a slight drizzle, then it came pelting down. This was going to be interesting?

A few times I thought I was losing control and resided myself to my fate, but then I would notice the scribbles left by the other two and have a good laugh, completely forget about my perceived predicament and hustle on through!

Spectacular!

Another scribble, notice the increase once the rider hit the side of the road!

Rudeasy coming down to wash his wheels. On this stretch of road he found himself (as on the Katberg Pass) in the bushes at the side of the road a couple of times ? you could sense him regaining his composure after a few long seconds and then pushing on again. Miraculously, however, nobody put their bikes down ? landing gear, well that was used plenty of times!

The rain disappeared as quickly as it came and the last stretch of gravel to the tarmac only provided spots of mud.

Hitting the tar on the way to Barkley East, the next overnight point.

Amazingly, no alcohol was consumed this day. Sure, we had a beer over lunch, but that was it. Tired bodies and minds needed their early sleep (well, ?beauty? sleep would be a misnomer!).

Online KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 10:21:01 am »
Day 5 - late start due to rain.  Decided to ride to Lady Grey and re-think our options once we're there - either on gravel north-west via Sterkspruit round mountains down to Barkey East, or I mapped a shorter gravel road over a pass from Lady Grey joining the tar road to Barkley after about 40kms.

We decided on the latter since rain was threatening and we really didn't want to get stuck on the Maluti high-ground in the middle of a storm, not because of the fear of dying, but we didn't want our names to associated with the Darwin Awards :lol:

En route to Lady Grey we entered the highlands - highlight of my trip:

Going up the pass with Lady Grey in the background

We missed the rain signs in these clouds  :lol:

On the other side of the mountain it started to rain, fortunately not to heavily, more like a light drizzle, but enough to make the road muddy and very slippery in places.  First gear stuff with landing gear out - hold tight boys we're loosing some grip....

Descending down a steep muddy stretch - slow with much throttle control

This shit is slippery as hell, but strangely enjoyable - I guess if you go down at the speeds we were doing, we knew that most damage would only have been to our egos, not the bikes or riders.  Strangely reassuring and enjoyable...

Hitting tar again after about 2 hours on the pass - riding towards Barkley

Looking down the gorge before entering Barkley

In Barkley we ate, had few drinks, switched on the heater and went to sleep.

H

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 01:45:09 pm »
Quote from: "KiLeRSA/Wino"

This shit is slippery as hell, but strangely enjoyable - I guess if you go down at the speeds we were doing, we knew that most damage would only have been to our egos, not the bikes or riders.  Strangely reassuring and enjoyable...

H

hehehe. Nice to see those tracks! Glad you experienced the way you did.  :P Hat's off to all for not dropping the bikes in that! 8)

Also feel the same but maybe only afterwards! While doing it, heart is in throat the whole time feeling any time now I'm going down!
He who angers you, controls you.