Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Buff's road to the 2013 Amageza Rally - ON HOLD !!!  (Read 5767 times)

Offline Buff

Re: Buff's road to the 2013 Amageza Rally
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 08:42:21 pm »
Thanks Muz, I realize that and I've adapted it to suit my needs but like you say, there's no way around the base expenses.
Getting my bike sorted with probably fall on my own shoulders and a few talented friends.
The WD's are also an endless source of help so I'm confident we'll be able to get it prepped  :thumleft:

Looks like our annual family holiday is happening in Kimberly next year  :imaposer:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2012, 08:48:12 pm »
Thanks Muz, I realize that and I've adapted it to suit my needs but like you say, there's no way around the base expenses.
Getting my bike sorted with probably fall on my own shoulders and a few talented friends.
The WD's are also an endless source of help so I'm confident we'll be able to get it prepped  :thumleft:

Looks like our annual family holiday is happening in Kimberly next year  :imaposer:
I really wouldn't mind seeing that spread sheet if ya dont mind?
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline Buff

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2012, 08:52:57 pm »
I'll add it to the initial post tomorrow  :thumleft:

Offline Hingsding

• is beslaan met ligte hoefysters
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR125L
  • Die aai van Loeriesbaai
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2012, 09:14:44 pm »
Well done Buff, jy het reg getrou!  Ons sien uit na jou progress.
Eet vleis! 'n 1 000 000 jakkalse kan nie verkeerd wees nie.

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 02:56:18 am »
I'll add it to the initial post tomorrow  :thumleft:
thanks mate

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 06:48:32 am »
Nice one Buff. If you need backup crew let me know, I will look after your missus while you are away..... :peepwall:
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline Buff

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 07:10:32 am »
Nice one Buff. If you need backup crew let me know, I will look after your missus while you are away..... :peepwall:

:laughing4: Thanks bud, it's reassuring to know I have mates I can count on  ;)

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2012, 07:15:34 am »

:laughing4: Thanks bud, it's reassuring to know I have mates I can count on  ;)

:laughing4: :laughing4:
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline Pom17

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 07:15:55 am »

Vriend duisend :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline Buff

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2012, 02:29:36 pm »
The Amageza Fitness Plan Ė November 2013 to March 2013

A few guys have asked about this so hereís my run down on how I intend getting in shape for the Amageza. To be honest, at this stage I need to get in shape for the local 2013 Offroad series but the two will obviously benefit one another. The only difference between the two will be the time spent in the saddle each day and the longer open stretches.

Besides requiring a lot of skill, you need a good overall fitness level to ride a dirt bike, both in your upper body (lifting the bike and using your arms when on the brakes) and your legs (standing and absorbing the hits). In any offroad ride thereís very little time where you can actually just cruise and rest & recover, youíre constantly working on the bike and itís exhausting.

Strangely enough, itís also the things you least expect that can make or break your ride, like chaffing in your bum crack  :o. Seriously, from all the movement on the saddle you can lose a fair amount of shin and itís rather painful when youíre sweating like a pig  ??? Of course, the more weigh youíre carrying, the more fun this becomes  :-\

So back to the plan. In the beginning Iíll be focussing on 3 main disciplines per week:

2/3 x Mountain & Road bike (Rides between 1-2 hours long ranging from 20-50kmís)

2/3 x Gym Ė Cardio and Super Circuit (20min spinning bike, 10min Rowing, 30min Circuit)

1/2 x Dirt Biking Ė Progressively increasing time in the saddle on looped courses.

Iíve found in the past that I get caught up in the gym routine and try and go heavier and heavier with the weights too soon. This normally results in injury as your tendons & joints take longer to adapt to heavy weights than your muscles do. Iím going to try avoiding this by focussing on lighter weights with higher repetitions.

Iíll also be flexible with routines e.g. if the wind is blowing gales all week Iíll spend time in the gym and stay off the MTB.

November (now) - Iíll be focussing on just getting some base training going and getting my body used to a routine again. Very few sessions will be over 1 Ĺ long with the gym sessions being 1hr each.

December Ė Always a difficult month with the holidays and festivities so the aim here is simply to maintain what Iíve started in November. Iíll be spending some time in the Transkei so dirt biking will be the order of the day.

Jan Ė I start work mid Jan and the focus here will be to get back into the gym routine and on the MTB as soon as possible. Itíll be more of what I was doing at the end of Nov, beginning Dec.
Itís only 2 Ĺ months to the Argus so the dreaded Diet will start in a big way.
Iíve yet to see the 2013 calendar but the 1st Offroad race of the year will probably be happening at the end of the month so thatíll set the benchmark.

Feb Ė Instead of the 20min gym warm-up on the stationary bike, Iíll add in 2 spinning classes a week.
The weekly distance on the bike will remain the same but Iíll try get in one 75km+ ride per weekend in the build up to the Argus. The rest will remain as is but Iíll try and spend more time training on the dirt bike with GJ on his Macassar enduro loop.

March Ė Post Argus Iíll shift my goal towards an endurance MTB event May/June, just to keep my motivation levels up and keep me on the MTB.
The 2nd Offroad event of the year will probably be happening towards the end of the month and itíll be a great event to gauge my progress. Depending on how this event goes, I might have to radically change my training plan.

April Ė to follow in March 2013

Obviously none of this is cast in stone. I have a family and job so life often gets in the way but Iíll try stick to this plan as best I can.

Offline Buff

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2012, 02:46:59 pm »
Here's a screen dump of the initial budget layout. This might change a lot but for now it's what I'm working towards.

Thanks for your help with this Muz  :thumleft:

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2012, 07:55:40 pm »
Yeah, my budget has changed already but basically for a rider, bike readyness and support crew you are looking at R45k - R50k give or take, it really depends on what needs to be done to the bike.

Knock R15k off if you are going solo. Your no 7 actually goes down with the support crew .

Accomodation, figures need adjusting 3 people for 3 days won't be R2k, that will go up a bit to factor in food etc

Also, chatting yesterday about the spares needed I went overboard, if you find another competitor on the same bike you can share many spares to bring down cost.

I need to go over the rules again, how many riders can a support crew service?, teaming up can save money espacially if you are riding the same bike, then you share spaces and servicing etc is quick.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Fearless

• Shop Mods
  • Pack Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2012, 09:35:29 pm »
Julle manne manne maak nou gedagtes wakker by my wat kon gebly het. Sal moet versigtig wees as ek hier kom lees.
Ek is as gevolg van wat ek glo. 2006 Suzuki Burgman 400, 2010 Honda Transalp 700AV.

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2012, 09:23:10 am »
Thanks for adding that budget snapshot, will be useful thanks.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2012, 06:25:28 pm »
Dont forget it will cost you something to get there and back.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2012, 08:39:03 pm »
 :thumleft: Great , thanks for sharing Buff , and good luck with all your preparations . 

Not sure the wise men had Amageza quite in mind lol ,  but agree your wife is worth more than rubies and pearls for paying your deposit. Lovely Proverb .   :thumleft:

Offline wayneh

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BSA (all models)
    • South Africa's dual-sport motorcycle rally
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2012, 03:29:53 pm »
PM sent  :thumleft:

Offline Buff

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2012, 04:32:44 pm »
PM sent  :thumleft:

Thanks Wayne, PM replied.

I'm going to need to get very creative with my training plan this week as my wife's in Jbg for 5 days and I'm looking after the kids. That rules out gym and mountain bike rides so I'm going to have to get home workout routine going. I might need to invest in a few free weights for times like this.

Also very upset with myself today. I was supposed to do the Helderberg enduro fun day and got caught up in a braai last night that left me with a serious hangover this morning  :( I rode the KDX to the enduro and realized on the way there that I was in no condition to be handling a dirt bike, so said hello, turned around and rode home. Been licking my wounds and feeling sorry for myself all day  :-\
I enjoy a beer as much as the next guy but try to avoid excessive pissups. The result is a barbies of note when I do "hak loss". I think the new year diet will include an alcohol ban.

I'm going to take the MTB out now for a 30km ride to punish myself for being so stupid  : :)

The plus side is the party was with a prospective sponsor  ;D

Offline Kenisis

• Race Dog
  • Dubai
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2012, 05:00:30 pm »
Buff, you and Muzz are two of the most positive okes I have met on this forum. :thumleft: and you both seem pretty serious about the Amageza so
I will sponsor you each R1,000 towards something on your bikes like an ICO or RB Holder (A proper one, not a lunchbox). I figure I need to sow here given my own rally aspirations next year and 2014. :ricky:
BB like the way you think.  Seeing that i am an invalid for the next 8 weeks Ill Match your R1000 for Buff and Muzz. like BB i am not a fan of Lunch tins!
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Offline Buff

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2012, 06:09:08 pm »
Wow Kenisis, thanks so much, that's very generous of you  :thumleft:

Part of the reason I'm so keen on doing this race is from reading your and BlueBulls ride reports and build threads  :thumleft:
You guys planted the seeds that are now germinating ;)

Your support is very much appreciated and I'm sure Muzzy and myself will be calling on your help & advice as time progresses.